Notices

Anxiety + caffeine

Old 11-29-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety + caffeine

People think I'm an intelligent person, and based upon my college background I suppose there may be some truth to that. But sometimes I have a "well, duh!" moment and realize something that others probably already know. I was sober for several years, prior to falling of the wagon this summer when I thought I could moderate my drinking (another "well, duh" moment).

Anyway, I've been sober for about 7 weeks now and I'm having some anxiety, particularly on Sunday mornings. Then I analyzed my Sunday routine. I get up , get a cup of coffee and leisurely read the Sunday paper. Than I usually go on the internet for an hour, then shower and dress, all before breakfast. During this entire time, usually 2 - 3 hours, I top of my coffee cup several times. Today, when I was done with my morning routine I found my self quite anxious. Then it occurred to me, "I wonder how much caffeine I've consumed on an empty stomach?" No wonder why I'm anxious.

Have any of you experienced this, and has cutting back or eliminating caffeine made a difference for you? I'm going to cut back on caffeine, particularly next Sunday, and see if I feel different.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think this depends a lot on the individual. I know people who get nervous on just one cup of coffee. For me a cup of coffee tends to relax me as it makes me more alert. In early sobriety I was careful not to drink too much as I was nervous to begin with. It is good that you have noticed that coffee makes you jittery since there is a simple fix for that. At one of the local detox hospitals they only let patients have decaffeinated coffee for that reason.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't care for the taste of coffee....I get caffeine with
Ice Tea instead....

No I don't feel anxious with or without my tea.
I'm really finding recovery keeps me balanced and serene.

Hope your idea works out for you....
Old 11-29-2009, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Caffeine really messes with my anxiety level. I think some of us are more sensitive to it.

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sensitive to caffeine as well. It's funny how our morning routines are almost identical! Cutting back definately helps with that "feeling" of anxiety. I have also had a situation where I had consumed more coffee than I should have and walked into a meeting only to be embarassed because my mouth was working faster than my brain was...(I hate that!) so I would suggest moderation
Old 11-29-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know exactly what your saying i have tried to kick caffeine and made it about 2 days its harder then stopping drinking lol. i did feel better after the first day if you can stop i would but if it comes down to you picking up a drink or picking up caffeine please choose caffeine your already dealing with enough 7 weeks into it you may wanna wait some time.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am hyperactive so caffiene for me is a downer. Although for my sister its an upper...she gets very anxious on regular coffee and switched to a really good decaf that she gets at local coffee bean shop. I actually like drinking her decaf!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hi Zebra:

I have issues with caffine and anxiety... i had panic attacks and the doctor said that caffine can increase these as the caffine gives adrenaline... adrenaline for me leads to heart palpatations... palpatations lead to anxiety/panic...

I have been drinking decaf for about 10yrs now and it definately helps... apparently there is still a trace amount of caffine in it...

I used to love full coffee but i cant take it now... i just have to have a sip and i am a quivering wreck for quite awhile... i have to go lie down and try and sleep it off...

I would suggest cutting down on caffine is a good idea for anyone... but i would be careful about cutting it out all together... it is actually quite restricting..

If i drink coffee anywere that dont know me... i get panicky that they forget and give me caffine... so i dont enjoy it waiting on the kick back...

Also you are so limited in what you can drink... so much fizzy juice has caffine in...

Didnt mean this to be so long... really glad you discovered what was happening with you and hope you can move forward with yuor plans... and hope it resolves it for you
Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not planning on cutting out caffeine completely. During the work week I drink a cup or two of coffee to start my day and that's about it, except for the caffeine thats in diet coke and in some other foods like chocolate. I think what happens on the weekend, especially Sunday, is that I probably drink the eqivalent of 5 cups on an empty stomach, without really being aware of how much I'm drinking since I keep topping of my cup when it gets cold. I'm going to cut down next weekend.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'm one of those who drinks coffee all day long.

The only time it bothers me is when the menopause is 'flashing'.
And when I'm stressing about bills or something.

And then it's not untuil bedtime that stuff floats up to worry about.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Absolutely, I have had this same problem.

All of a sudden, my hand is shaking and I am really anxious -- and I can't figure out why.

Now I do 1 cup of coffee and then tea after that. This works.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Interesting comments on this subject. I have drank coffee for almost 20 years now and found it to relax me. However, since I quit drinking I sense the anxiety coming back on from time to time. I have never tried decaf, so I'm not sure if that would work for me. I guess it never hurts to try and if the taste is fine, then why not.

Can't sleep anyways, so decaf might be the ticket.

Thanks for the helpful information everyone.