Notices

Help !!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help !!

I joined the forum this morning and spent a few hours looking at posts from previous and finally got enough courage to try my first.

I a little background on me so everyone knows. I'm 39 years old and have a loving wife of 18 years. We have 4 boys of which my oldest is 9 and we also have TRIPLET 7 year olds. It's a house full as you can see. I'm a successful business man with about everything I could hope for. I spent 7 years in the Navy and went in at age 17 and that is where my drinking problem started. I have drank beer for the past 22 years of my life. As of last week, I could drink a CASE of beer and think I was as sober as the person next to me, my tolerance is pretty high.

I had T2 diabetes for the past 8 years until May of last year. I'm the first of 30 people in a University of Minnesota diabetes study. I had bariatric surgery last May. I lost 80 pounds in 3 months and now I can eat about 2-4 cups of food total in a day. However, I can still drink like a fish or my mind thought it could and my body just started to say "I DON'T THINK SO" !!

I started having sleeping problems about 2 months ago and the DR. put me on Ambion CR, what a horrible experience that was. After 3 days of HELL I asked for something different. He prescribed XANAX and that is where things started to go bad. I started to get very anxious and nervous if I did not take the pill and did some research on that drug and it does not look good either.

So last Tuesday I came to the conclusion that I was a alcoholic. I joined a AA type group for one-on-one sessions that started last Wednesday and quit drinking. I also stopped the XANAX and now things are just out of control. I want a drink so bad that I have almost done it 10 ten times since last week. However, I promised my wife I would not. So I have not, at least not yet !!

Now the XANAX withdrawals are kicking in along with the alcohol ones. I have no idea what the HELL I'm doing right now. I can't focus. I'm shaking and very cold. I'm pretty much a damn wreck !!

I'm looking for some extra support for anyone right now. I have my wife, but it's not enough. I have no one to call, no one to just talk too. So I googled the web and this forum came up. Joined this morning as stated and now I'm looking to get a little extra help from ANYONE PLEASE !!

Call me, PM me, ANYTHING !!!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Welcome to SR TheRock -

I am a similar age and understand the family issues.

I am glad that you have come to accept that you need help and have reached out to SR. There are a lot of people here who have been through what you have. I relate to many of the things you say.

My first thought is that you might be going through alcohol or drug withdrawl. Given your other health items, I strongly urge you to talk to a doctor and be totally honest with them. You can die from this and we can't advise you (as you probably know by reading for some time).

I will send you a PM and I know others will as well.

I am glad that you are here. Please also reach out to other resources. AA worked great for me, but there are many other programs as well. My feeling is that it is very difficult for many to do this without some sort of program of recovery.

For me the formula is: AA + SR + helping others + daily working on my recovery = living a happy life.

Glad you are here.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks very much. My doctor knows everything, I'm just so lost right now !!

I'M POSITIVE, IT'S WITHDRAWLS
Old 11-29-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Hi there Rock and welcome to the SR family what a great place this is , Glad i could help yah get this loaded , its a bit hard headed at times .. your more then welcome to return into the chat room and visit there , as well
Congrats on the weight loss , MIL had one almost 2 yrs ago and has lost a Large amount of her weight , but thats not why im posting to you
First dont make promises to anyone other then yourself .. this is about your recovery not anothers , we sometimes fail that happens and the last thing you wanna do is break promisses , were human and we mean well its just hard at times for many ,
AA is a great place to get your self going on the tools you need to work on your recovery . I know it helped me and sooo many others Im 6 yrs sober today
your bodys doing crazy things we all know what thats like the booze brings on one things you add meds to fix another , take it away and you need more for something else .
When you spoke to your Dr . are they aware of your drinkin problem ? One thing is you must be very honnest bout all addictions .. they cant help you if your hiding things from them .. But Rock I wont fill up your post . again come on in to chat and visit .. we dont bite .. were just like you . and your not alone .. ~ huggles Endzy ~
Old 11-29-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'll be right there.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wanted to take a few minutes before I retire for a break to personally say thanks to Endzoner and BunnyLaRoo for spending the past couple of hours with me on the Chat forum. It got me through some much needed help !!

I would not have made it through this morning with out it. Glad I found the SR site. I will be back.

Special Thanks to you both !!!!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

Congratulations for seeking a healthier sober future.

The link below has information on de toxing from alcohol
that you may not have read....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Blessings to you and your family
Old 11-29-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Rock,

You are going thru the hard part right now. I know what you are talking about with the kids the wife and a crazy house and then no quiet time feeling nuts.

I sobered up the Marine Corps and was jumpy and crazy,, I went and sat in AA meetings, and on weekends went from one to another to another all day long sometimes.

IT DOES get easier and you are doing the right thing by reaching out.

Keep it up and please reach out at AA meetings and say you are new and need help.

I swing by here usually in the evenings but you can PM me anytime and my cell is always on for someone looking for help.

David
AKA AG
Old 11-29-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Matt and Carol.

Matt, I got your PM's, I just can't respond to them I guess until I have 5 posts or something like that.

Thanks guys !!!
Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks David for reaching out. I can PM now !!

I will respond to every that has sent them to me. Thanks for all the help everyone. I WILL NEED YOUR HELP !!
Old 11-29-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

While I am sure other AA meetings are around in your area Rock, here is one tonight. They will have a small book with lists of other meetings but I might suggest making this one.

AA Saint Paul :: Meeting directory
Old 11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Rock! I'm pretty new here too, just at 2 months sober, but I'm thinking about you and if you have any questions or need anything at all, feel free to PM me.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mergirl

rock, I like to share my story with parents of young children. I quit drinking after a black out drunk night. I had been drinking for 28 years, and very rarely lost control. I was always the one safeguarding others. When I woke up dec 28 of last year, my 22 year old daughter told me the story of the night before, which involved out of control drinking, disgusting behavior and drama that she and her step- brother had to witness.

I always thought I was such a good parent. Always food on the table, never missed a water polo game or choir performance, never got behind the wheel drunk, etc.

Now I live with the fact that my children were raised by 2 alcoholics. Every holiday was cause for drinking, every tragedy required alcohol to crawl through.

You have the opportunity to show your children positive coping skills and an addiction free lifestyle in their formative years. I hope you seize it. Welcome
Old 11-29-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Rock! Hang in there..and keep reading! There's great stuff here to help you! Hope you're feeling better...
Old 11-29-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks again for everyone's help today. I made it through the day and I'm not sure I would have been able too had it not been for finding you guys today. Thanks again for all the help, I see the light at the end now !!
Old 11-29-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Welcome to SR, Rock - keep posting and keep reading.

You can also go online there's a few places that are looking at the
'new' phenomenon about people having surgery and switching addictions often without
knowing it.
I'm sure the alcohol is aggravating something - There's a woman here in town who had
the surgery, and started drinking like nothing we'd ever seen her do before.

She was hospitalized over and again for damaging the stomach 'work' with alcohol. One time it was the volume, and being alcohol- it was tearing her stomach loose around the staples.

She refused to seek help for the drinking.
I saw her the first time since I got out of the drinking scene here...
about three years now
and ... man.

I really wish she'd done like you and come for help.