SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Whipped Cream Without Vanilla Extract? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/189287-whipped-cream-without-vanilla-extract.html)

AuntieAuntie 11-25-2009 08:32 AM

Whipped Cream Without Vanilla Extract?

I haven't made the pies for Thanksgiving in a long time. We usually get to go away for the holiday weekend but this year we are staying home and I am again making pies for the family.

I haven't done this since I came into recovery.

I like to make home made whipped cream which calls for vanilla extract.

Does anyone know something that I can substitute vanilla extract for?

Thanks!

4ever 11-25-2009 08:37 AM

Substitute maple syrup for vanilla extract. Use the same amount of maple syrup as vanilla extract.

This is the only substiture I've ever heard of anyone using. You can probably google it.

Ago 11-25-2009 08:58 AM

there are also imitation vanilla extracts

Vanilla Extract, Imitation Vanilla, and Vanilla Flavoring

nandm 11-25-2009 10:29 AM

I have used imitation vanilla extract for years. You can find it next to the vanilla in most spice sections of your grocery store.

flutter 11-25-2009 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by nandm (Post 2443722)
I have used imitation vanilla extract for years. You can find it next to the vanilla in most spice sections of your grocery store.

Same here!! It's way cheaper too :lmao

AuntieAuntie 11-26-2009 06:37 PM

Thanks for all the help. I checked out the imitation but the ones that I found all still contained alcohol.

I went with the maple syrup and you couldn't tell the difference. My father actually said it was the best whipped cream he ever had.

TheSunAlsoRises 11-26-2009 07:06 PM

Awesome...

CarolD 11-26-2009 07:53 PM

Good to know you worked it out too benefit everyone
:)

WakeUp 11-26-2009 08:17 PM

You can also buy whole vanilla pods, split them along the sides, and scrape out the seeds. Just like the hotshot chefs on Food Network!

littlefish 11-26-2009 11:31 PM

There is also vanilla sugar. This is more of a European thing. It is powdered sugar with finely powdered vanilla seeds. It is used almost exclusively in Europe for all baking things. The US got stuck on using vanilla extract because it is an old British colonial product. In terms of modern cooking, vanilla extract is not all that fantastic.
Since I moved away from the US in '97 I haven't used vanilla extract a single time.
I'm guessing, but I haven't checked, but there are probably net recipes for making your own vanilla sugar.

Cathy31 11-26-2009 11:51 PM

YAY! How interesting, thanks! :)

4ever 11-27-2009 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by AuntieAuntie (Post 2445169)

I went with the maple syrup and you couldn't tell the difference. My father actually said it was the best whipped cream he ever had.

I'm glad that it worked out.