Notices

Addiction/obsession/compulsion

Old 11-24-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm very interested in the connection between the disorders in the title of my thread:

Personally I believe they are intrinsically (although not for every one) connected.

My personal experience is that as soon as I reduce my drinking, my obsessive thoughts become magnified. So much so, that eventually I want a drink to calm them. So it's not like I stop drinking and feel a mental liberation, on the contrary the obsessive thoughts, which can temporarily be silenced by a substance, rise up and occupy me to a degree, which is actually only comparable to the occupation of when I might silence it all with a drink. This is why I know it will be hard to live without a vice, because the alternative simply isn't mental freedom, but rather just an alternative form of obsession.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LBW

You might consider going to a pyschologist. My sister was diagnosed bi-polar and after she got medicine to balance her moods, her alcoholism was much easier to manage.

Then again, maybe you don't really have the issues you think you do. I used to think I drank to help my anxiety. I didn't see how I could manage anxiety without drinking. When I finally quit drinking, I found out that I didn't have anxiety after all... somehow I think I was subconsciously manifesting the anxiety because I had already decided anxiety was my excuse for drinking.

I'm just saying if we give ourselves an excuse for why we drink, the disease will make sure that we have that excuse in surplus. It's amazing how we can brainwash ourselves.

"All spiritual growth is about letting go of something.... Beliefs, habits, false identities of ourselves... LET GO so something new can be born." ~ Dr. Rev. Michael Beckwith
Old 11-24-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Give this a read and see what you think. It was written a long time ago, but the obsession and compulsion of alcoholism hasn't changed:

The Doctor's Opinion

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope to hell i'm welcome on this thread. My current fixation is ethyl alcohol in any possible form. So I believe obsession has everything to do with it, at least in my case.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been sober for about 6 months. I don't post here (except for once or twice) but I check the board every day. Jupitar, your post struck a chord with me. I think you are on to something.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

100days.....
Glad to see you are making progress
Congratulations.....
Old 11-25-2009, 11:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On the first day I started working with my sponsor he told me that recovery was virtually impossible without a good dictionary.

(Off the top of my head)

Compulsion: an overwhelming need to ACT
Obsession: a thought or idea that overwhelms all others
Addiction: a physical dependence on a substance caused by metabolic or neural changes due to continued exposure to the substance.

Alcoholism is not addiction!!! Want proof?

We all agree that not everyperson is an alcoholic, don't we?
If we put enough drugs/ alcohol in anyone 100% will become physically dependent (addicted) on the substance. That's just what happens to the human body when given enough dope.

Now, if we take everyone of them and run em thru a spin dry and get them withdrawn, 9 out of 10, will say "thank god that's over, I'm not doing that again!"

The other 10% will say to them selves "that really wasn't that bad I just got a little carried away/did it in the wrong combination/in the wrong place-time-company" and will try it again"

These people are not necessarily alcoholic either because out of them 9 out of 10 will eventually realize it doesn't work and quit. The other remaining 10% though with find life tough going. They will feel it isn't fair, they will feel depressed, miserable perhaps suicidal over the fact they can't do it and in spite of everything they know they will try it again.

That is alcoholism. It has NOTHING todo with addiction.
"But what about the real alcoholic? He may start out as a moderated drinker; he may or may NOT become a continuous heavy drinker; but at some stage in his drinking careerhe begins to lose control of his liquor consumption once he begins to drink."

Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Edition "More About Alcoholism"

Last edited by CarolD; 11-27-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added Source per SR guideline
Old 11-27-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

@LBW

Thank you for the reply, but the problem is, that once I stop, I realise that my thought processes are indeed not healthy.

One of the main obsessions that takes over is my race obsession. I don't know how many people on here are white, and thus probably won't particularly understand, but I am mixed race (half white English and half Asian Pakistani, but was adopted into a white family). I find myself getting obsessed with the slightest thing some one has said. Part of the problem is that different people perceive me to be different 'races'. Some think I am Southern European while others think I am just Asian. Now I know that in itself it doesn't matter, but I am acutely aware that socially it certainly does have a huge bearing. So I know that, in general, I would be much better off if every one thought I was say Spanish as opposed to if every one thought I was Indian.

For example I got loads of abuse as a kid being called 'paki' and similar nonsense. But at the same time one of my friends as a teen announced to me that we were so lucky to be born white, as it must be awful not to be. I've had some black Africans telling me I am black as well, and others asking if I don't fancy them because I am white. I've had some Asians say I look the same as them, others saying well you're white so what would you know about being black. But whatever, the message is always that it's better to be white. And while I know I should expend my energies trying to fight racism, I know it's not going to change any time soon, and so I have become obsessed with the current reality of the situation as it affects me.

So the recent obsession was that my boyfriend said he saw me as black, while he saw a dark Turkish guy as white. Of course I should think so what, but this had me obsessing over and over again, well the Turkish guy looks similar, why should he get in and not me. I know, I know, a lot of white people (and maybe others) will be reading this and thinking, indeed, so what, but that's only because they don't fully appreciate the social advantage of being seen as white, and that it's psychologically distressing to get thrown between one and the other. If I'd never been told I looked white, then I could just have dealt with that, but since I seem to somehow straddle the border, it has unfortunately manifested itself in an obsession, in terms of social acceptibility.

But whatever I will find myself obsessing non-stop about it, like spending hours and hours trying to work out why this Turkish guy is white and I am black. I know it's ridiculous, but the thoughts won't stop sometimes, and then I reach for the wine because I know that WILL stop it, at least temporarily.

(I do want to make it clear that I don't think it's literally better to be white. I mean I don't particularly look at white people and want to look like them in general. But I have become obsessed with being classified as white, which is a different matter, as theoretically dark Caucasianish looking people can find themselves on either side of the divide).
Old 11-27-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Jupitar35 View Post

My personal experience is that as soon as I reduce my drinking, my obsessive thoughts become magnified. So much so, that eventually I want a drink to calm them.
My disease is three-fold. I have a physical allergy, a mental
obsession and a spiritual malady. If I take one drink, I will lose
all control of my liquor consumption. If I dwell
on the "good old" drinking days, I will be obsessed with re-living
them. If I attempt to choose not to drink one-day-at-a-time, I will
find that my "so-called willpower” becomes practically
nonexistent.

When I gave up nicotine, I simply choose not to smoke "one day at a
time" and it became easier for me each day. When I tried to give up
alcohol by choosing not to drink "one day at a time", it became harder
for me each day. My problem was not just alcohol. For me "not
drinking" did not treat my alcoholism. I was uncomfortable in my own
skin before I took my first drink as a teenager and I returned to
being uncomfortable in my own skin after I took my last drink.
Alcohol was my solution for 30+ years and did not become my problem
until my final years of drinking when it failed to give me comfort
before it made me blackout.

It was not until I recognized and addressed my "real problem" that
sobriety became comfortable. My real problem was in the form of the
"Four Horse-man of the Apocalypse " (Terror, frustration, bewilderment
and despair). Until I found a way of chasing them away, sobriety was
not worth having.