Notices

alcoholic neuropathy?

Old 11-23-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcoholic neuropathy?

The last few months, after drinking, I will have shooting pains....most time in my feet, hands, fingers...sometimes in the corner of my eye...sometimes in my chest/heart...like someone jabbing me with a needle. I did google search and am afraid I am getting alcoholic neuropathy.

This happens after drinking for hours at night...I feel it the next day...about 16 hours after drinking the night before. Occasionally when I don't drink, it doesn't happen. But when I do drink and go for sobriety the day after it happens.

Is this just withdrawal...or the start of something bad? Does anyone have this?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read that alcoholic neuropathy had to do with chronic alcohol abuse and malnutrition. I realized I had been eating a lot less the more I drank, even though I craved food the next day. So I started eating more before and after I drink and I have not had the pains...almost not at all. Except occasionally, in my chest...I'll get this feeling in my heart...a sharp pain. Not like heart attack pain, but like the same hand/feet pain...just a sharp stabbing pain.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Please go see your doctor.

Please consider seriously about stopping drinking.

Alcoholic neuropathy comes from the alcohol burning the coatings off the nerve endings and the nerves start to send erroneous messages. Good news is it will abate if you stop drinking permanently.

Eat or don't eat the alcohol contiues to burn (kill) the coatings on the nerve endings every time you drink. The more damage you do the harder it is to come back from.

Bad news is depending on how much damage is already done is it will return in your later years, I know I have it and it is a biotch. BTW I have been sober and clean for 28 1/2 years.

Go see your doctor NOW.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-23-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I had alcoholic neuropathy BIG TIME. I was hospitalized for it, in the ICU, for 3 days. I lost the use of my hands. Couldn't move them.

I didn't have pains other than in my hands and feet though. Started off as a superficial numbness in my left foot and up the side of my left leg. Then came my right leg - plus pain. And then my hands, and then pain there too, etc.

Once I stopped drinking, things came back to normal over a couple of months. The pain was gone within a day or two, with the tingling/numbess receeding over time.

One thing about malnutrition and alcoholism - alcohol prevents the body from metabolizing certain vitimins and minerals. Simply eating more and/or taking supplements may not overcome this entirely as those vitimins and such just end up in the toilet if you know what I mean.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

Please see a doctor..

I suffered from the beginnings of a lot of neuropathy, thankfully I quit drinking before it became permanent. It took several months to feel 'normal', my doctors were surprised that it all went away.

I hope you find a reason to quit drinking soon, this stuff'll kill ya!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had the beginnings of it too. No pain, but tingling and numbness in my left foot and almost the complete loss of my left pinky. I also had to wear a brace on my right ankle and after I took it off, I still felt it for days.

I went away in time. The pinky still tingles from time to time.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

BG....Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum

To ease your mind....and to make a plan for a healthy
future.....please go have an honest talk with your doctor.

Only a medical professional can diagnose your condition.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone...I'm not drinking tonight so that's a start in the right direction.