Notices

What caused you to quit...for good?

Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I wasn't fun anymore. In fact I was a complete and absolute ass. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately I don't remember any of it. I hit a complete emotional bottom. Woke up one morning after a 6 day bender with cuts and burns on me and went to a AA meeting that night.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was unemployable and my life was a complete mess. At the time, I didn't really care about all that though. I friend asked me to go to a meeting, I don't know why I said I'd go but I did. (I know now it was the grace of God)

My brain was a bit mushy and I was having trouble following the speakers. I was bored and I didn't think my problem was all that bad...... then this lady spoke about being a woman of dignity and honor..... I wanted that so badly, Her story was my story, I got a small bit of hope.

I haven't picked up a drink since.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

What caused me to quit...for good...one day at a time, is what I believe to be a universal cause for quitting: the desire to get and stay sober became greater that the desire to drink and stay drunk. I have heard that desire statement often from many different people in recovery and its true for me.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
The Bay Crawler

I the reason I got sober was a very painful event came up in my life and I knew it was destine to become impossible to cope with being drunk all the time.

The bottom would have completely dropped out of my life had I not gotten sober.

I thank the Lord for the gift of pain.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi All I'm a newcomer to the site and this thread seems like a good way to introduce myself and tell a bit of my journey
It was this day 22 months ago I picked up that phone and asked for help. 34 years of drink had beaten me up and now i was at the end. The wife was long gone, the house was going soon, I had sold everything, I had one friend left and I stole from him, and that was the turning point for me, I could see a prison door opening with my name on it, it was either that or death, both scared me enough to reach out for the 1st time in my life. It wasnt easy but today my life is unrecognisable from the train wreck it was. Today I bask in the sunlight of sobriety
Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Zen...I agree with your post. I remembering wanting to be sober so bad...usually in the morning with a hangover. I remember being drunk and wishing I could quit...so the desire was there for a looooooong time.

If I'm honest with myself, it was a health issue that made me finally quit. Or, maybe it was a health issue I used as an excuse to quit. Doesn't matter....I have 15 months sober. I intend to stay that way.

Good thread....and welcome to all the newcomers!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Because the consensus seems to be that wanting to die and thinking about ways to do it is bad. Knowing that I was only a hair away from making the leap from thinking about it to action. My mind was out of control.

I first tried quitting because of heart palpitations...but that didn't stick. I drank anyway.

It was during the course of getting and trying to stay sober that I realized I can't live this way sober...something's wrong....there's the big nasty elephant in the room suffocating me and I should do something about it or I'll never break the cycle. I got help for depression. With that help I've been able to stay sober. Amazing...Tuesday I'll hit 8 months...not a lot of sober time compared to others, but for me that's huge.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Because the consensus seems to be that wanting to die and thinking about ways to do it is bad. Knowing that I was only a hair away from making the leap from thinking about it to action. My mind was out of control.

I first tried quitting because of heart palpitations...but that didn't stick. I drank anyway.

It was during the course of getting and trying to stay sober that I realized I can't live this way sober...something's wrong....there's the big nasty elephant in the room suffocating me and I should do something about it or I'll never break the cycle. I got help for depression. With that help I've been able to stay sober. Amazing...Tuesday I'll hit 8 months...not a lot of sober time compared to others, but for me that's huge.
Congrats on 8 months Bam!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

i decided to quit because i felt time was running out fast for me, i was either going to end up dead from liver failure or in prison for doing all the stupid illegal things i did when i was drunk, like stealing from people-even my own kids! to buy booze, i also didnt really like those teleportation blackouts i used to get, one minute in the pub the next it would be in a bus shelter or somewhere with no recollection of how i'd got there,
Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

After having my second seizure of the day and with the metallic 'aura' of a third in my mouth i had a very very brief interlude of the utmost clarity which lasted perhaps 15 seconds and was almost surreal as i viewed the room i was in with the furniture upturned and me with a craft knife cutting out the bases of sofa and chairs hunting for loose change to feed this raging inside me...that really was the defining moment'
The image is seared into my mind and i have no wish to experience it again.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Zen...I agree with your post. I remembering wanting to be sober so bad...usually in the morning with a hangover. I remember being drunk and wishing I could quit...so the desire was there for a looooooong time.
I see desire as an emotional change that starts deep within the psyche. Compared to that I feel desire as an intention is a longing or wanting that happens within the cognitive/thinking part of the mind. Anywho that just me, I'm sure there are many different takes on the subject.

Congrats on your clean time and keep going forward in your recovery however it work best for you.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

For me it was a combination of fear:I knew I was dying and I tasted blood in my mouth for months, wise words Iīd heard many times: "You have two options, to die or quit" and an inner urge to stop. I was sick and tired of this junkie life and I really wanted to live.

I had wanted to write since I was a kid and knew I could only do it if I stopped. Thatīs why I think itīs so important for children to take ballet lessons, play sports, paint and do creative things.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My days consisted of working 6-2 getting off working out then getting home around 4 and after not eating all day drinking until i passed out "coming about" around 11 and drinking more til i blacked out again then starting the next day the same way.

I drank every single night hoping i would not wake up in the morning that is a really ****** way to live. I hated who i was where i was going everyone in my life everything in my life. Realization hit me I cant change what has hurt me or the people who did it but i can change me so thats what i did. I was lucky enough to have a best friend who was recovering and got me started 7 months later life isnt great but i dont wanna die every day and it gets a little better every day. The great thing is you dont have to hit rock bottom and lose a family, house, get a DUI, etc you can stop when you want It is SIMPLE....... DONT PICK UP A DRINK i say simple and it is but simple does not mean easy.