Notices

Health efforts?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health efforts?

Just curious.. once all drinking is done.. what steps are you alll taking to get your health back? What lifestyle changes have you made?
I know it'll take some time for me to get healthy again after 10 years worth of drinking.

I just want to make sure I'm going about it the right way. Just opinions.. I don't expect any medical advice.

Thanks!~
Old 11-20-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LBW

Prior to getting pregnant three years ago I was drinking almost every night and I was overweight... So when my son was born I wanted to change my life for the better.

Around the time I was thinking this one day, I was driving down this road I had driven a thousand times before and I noticed something I never had before. It was this Runner's store. It made me nervous and embarrassed going in because I was overweight and carrying my baby... but I'm so glad I did because it changed my life.

They were starting sign-ups for marathon training groups that week. I went to the information meeting and I found out there are all kinds of people to join groups like this. Not all are super-athletic or fit people. There were also people who had had heart attacks and wanted to save their lives, people who had lost 100 pounds and still had 100 more to go, people who were giving up bad lifestyles to become more healthy... lots and lots of inspiring people who were giving up addictions and bad habits.

Over the next 2 years, it was great to have all these people who I met up with 4-5 times a week to run with. I gained an entire new social group of people who cared very much about their health. Also, each time I ran further or faster than I thought I could, I felt proud of myself. I felt like I could do anything I set my mind to. I lost all the weight, got down to my H.S. size. I greatly reduced the amount I was drinking. I was eating healthier than I ever had before in my life. I cut out all red meat. Tried to eat as many vegs and fruits and whole grains as I could all day. I was taking very good care of my self. I noticed my skin and hair were looking healthier than they ever had.

Now I'm pregnant again and I've had to quit running for now. When I have my baby, I intend to get right back to the running... but I've decided to take another major step to improve my health (mental and physical). Thing is all those changes I did before felt so good but there was one last thing I had been unwilling to do... stop drinking completely.

I have finally accepted I am an alcoholic. I cannot control myself. Drinking is holding me back in life. All those positive things I was doing before are going to be even better this time because I am going to cut out ALL drinking.

I think exercise and heathly eating improved my life so much, it prepared me to take on the biggest change I could imagine. I really can do anything I set my mind to... : )
Old 11-20-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a great story!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
My first few years of sobriety I was on a PB&J, donut, and cookie diet. I didn't look good and I felt horrible, like I was carrying around an extra 40lbs, which I was. I exercised on an elliptical at home and rode a bicycle, but my diet never improved much.

At the beginning of this year I started a Weight Watchers program, and also joined the Abstinence From Obvious Sweets challenge here on SR. I've lost all that weight I gained and feel great. It's healthy eating that's key for me, I stay focused on good choices and smaller portions, and cut out the desserts and sweets.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

It took a full year to discover why I couldn't feel better -
apparently, my thyroid had stopped functioning well before I'd stopped.

So getting the function stimulated synthetically
was priority, of course. A process that took 18 months.

I now 'eat real food'....

shunning and refraining from heavily processed, and most all fast food.
I always dislikes soft drinks, but made up for it with coffee.
Now I lay off the java as well
except occasionally.

chocolate ... is still my down fall, however.

I will STILL
get in the car
in the middle of the night
in a snowstorm

to get chocolate.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It took a few months, but I joined a gym. The reason I waited is after a workout (to me) a beer just sounds so good. Now a diet DR pepper works just fine for me.
But I joined about 2 months ago and am feeling a lot better. 8 months ago when I quit drinking my butt was really dragging sometimes half way through a day at work. I am on my feet 8 hours a day and very seldom sit down. Now after I get off work I still have energy to do things.
Some say a gym is expensive. I pay about 30 dollars a month. I used to drink a 12 pack a day. A 12 pack of miller light was about 10 bucks. (3 days of booze for a month of gym).
I work with 2 brothers that are both very overweight. (they don't drink) They both start off the day with breakfast at Mc Donalds. I mention Gym to either one of them and they look at me like I'm from outer space. If they would cut out breakfast at Mc Garvels one week would almost pay for a month, not to mention the benifits of not eating at that place.
Just a little exercise and diet change can make a lot of difference. You don't have to change everything, just change something.
Fred
Old 11-20-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LBW

LOL Barb Dwyer! Me too about the chocolate! I can cut out sodas easily. Fast food, no problem. Red meat, gone. Fried food, gone too. Cheese, ok, mostly... But don't anyone dare tell me I can't have chocolate! I feel like I can't go more than 2-3 days without something chocolate... If I do, I start to feel like there's something missing... and I finally figure it out... I NEED chocolate!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me I have been eating fairly healthy for the last couple of years due to a high cholesterol diagnosis. Low fat, more fruits & veggies, more fiber, added flax seed, etc.. My exercising is hit and miss lately. I'm having a hard time being consistent. Anyway, to your question...exercise and healthy eating always make me feel better. I've been feeling sluggish the last week or so and I'm sure it's because I haven't been as active as I was. With exercise, just take it slow and easy in the beginning if you haven't been doing anything. I started running after my 46th birthday in Feb -- pre-midlife crisis I think I ran a 5k in May and injured my hip just doing too much too quickly. I'm just now getting back to it. I really like it and makes me feel so good afterwards. With diet just making a few small changes can make a huge difference.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I spent the first 6 weeks after sobering up just trying to get my head straight and getting everything on track. I started going to the gym about 2 weeks ago, which I have to admit, I really hate.

But if one good thing has come out of my alcoholism, it's that when I was in the hospital for my last bender, it was discovered that I had Lupus, which is usually very difficult to diagnose. Knowing this really gave me the kick in the butt I needed to stop drinking and live a healthy lifestyle.

Salt is my downfall...but lately I've noticed instead of eating whatever processed crap I used to when I craved salt, if I eat an apple or a cucumber with salt on it, it really satisfies my craving. Although I've only lost a couple of pounds, my face is sooooo much thinner. My face used to puff up terribly from drinking, everyone said it looked swollen. Now 2 months later, I look 10 pounds thinner just in my face.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They say laughter is good medicine, so I am trying to calm down, watch some funny movies, lighten up, and try to enjoy myself, to reduce the stress, fear and worry, oh, and I pray for God to heal my body.

I found that letting go of these 2 things- resentments, which tend to eat at you, and being anal about things- has helped me tremendously, even transforming my life. Getting rid of resentments and avoiding new ones seemed obvious, and was fairly easy to do. But stopping being anal took a while to realize and achieve. Stupid stuff like having to do certain things a certain way and never deviating, like having to always have dollar bills all facing the same way. I know a lot of people who do this too, and it drives them crazy, just like it did me, to have even just one bill not facing the same as the others. And, only when that bill is straightened out will an anal person feel better and go on with their lives only to get all anal again the next time. But wait, there's more! :-) I'm pretty sure through my experience that anal people have lots of things they're anal about. Some people may have so much to be anal about that it consumes a good portion of their day. So, in my case, everytime I found myself being anal, I talked myself out of it. Now, I'm pretty much totally anal-free! :-) I could care less now about how my dollar bills are arranged, and that's how I feel about other things I was anal about. And I'll tell you, not being so anal along with dropping all resentments has made a world of difference in feeling cool, calm, and collect. I hope this helps!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks All! Running today and working toward better health now that I've stopped drinking!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would add, similar to some others, to consider the mental recovery that
may be part. I'm not saying go see a shrink but really think about how you can improve yourself. Jim Valvano said when he was dieing of cancer, in one of the great motvational speeches of all time, that we should do 3 things every day: "Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy."

that last one may be a bit much. We would all be emotional headcases haha. But you get the point.