Notices

Brain Cells Rebound With Alcohol Abstinence

Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LBW

I found this very interesting....

"Alcoholism damages brain structure and function. Alcoholics have impairments in the ability to reason, plan or remember.... and a difficulty in ability to understand negative consequences. ...damage to frontal lobe.

However, studies have shown the brain can start to repair itself after an alcoholic ceases to consume alcohol. There is a pronounced increase in new brain cells within four-to-five weeks of abstinence. This included a twofold burst in brain cell proliferation at day seven of abstinence."

Additionally, exercise can help a recovering alcoholic speed brain cell regeneration to repair damage done by alcoholism.

From these articles:

New Brain Cells Develop During Alcohol Abstinence, UNC Study Shows

Could Exercise Regenerate Alcohol-Damaged Neurons? ? Psychiatric News
Old 11-19-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Oh absolutely!!!!!

My Neurologist has used my case in two papers he has written. He has my brain scans from my early recovery and then those through the years to now. I have parts of my brain that are being used that are 'normally' not used at all and I have parts of my brain that are 'normally' used that are dead.

Over the years my brain has built 'new pathways' to rectify what I destroyed during all those years of drugs and alcohol.

Yes, it is possible. I was a fully functioning sober contributing member of society holding down a pretty darn good job until other physical ailments (many also a direct result of my years of alcohol and drug use) made me unable to work.

The brain can recover. The liver can heal to a certain degree depending on the amout of abuse. May not end up at 200% but most of us can live comfortably with a much lower percentage of liver function.

There are many parts of the body that can repair, PROVIDING we remove ALL alcohol and drugs, and continue to abstain.

Every day they find out more and more about not only the damage we do but the repairs that can happen.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

l wish l had used my brain before l got in to all this trouble because of drinking...
Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dsc

In the 1st month of my quit, I even "felt" like I had an increase of 30 IQ points, hehe..

Anybody felt the same early on?
Old 11-19-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Drk

I did. For three months I felt insane, and with each passing week now I feel, well smarter, as weird as that sounds.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drk View Post
I did. For three months I felt insane, and with each passing week now I feel, well smarter, as weird as that sounds.
Not at all. During previous extended periods of sobriety (my definition is more than a few months), I felt my brain approaching a level of 'quickness' that hadn't been there since my early 20's...when I became a 'problem' drinker en route to full-blown dependency. The ability to do modest math in my head (accurately) came back. If reading a book, I was able to instantly recall the definition of a challenging word without referencing the internet. Seems like little things, but that was a huge boon for my destroyed confidence.

Musicians and other artists may also vouch for this. Contrary to popular belief, addiction to does not make you a better artist. More desperate and honest subject matter, perhaps, but not a better artist. I often get angry that so many raging addicts - writers in particular - are lionized when they were probably only functioning at a third of their potential.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
9/15/08

@ nola
I often get angry that so many raging addicts - writers in particular - are lionized when they were probably only functioning at a third of their potential.

I posted on this a while back. I used to get pissy when I heard about writers, poets, and musicians being lauded because of their addiction.

I've jsut learned to think of it as 'yeah, think how much better they would've been sober!'

Old 11-19-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Overman View Post
@ nola
I often get angry that so many raging addicts - writers in particular - are lionized when they were probably only functioning at a third of their potential.

I posted on this a while back. I used to get pissy when I heard about writers, poets, and musicians being lauded because of their addiction.

I've jsut learned to think of it as 'yeah, think how much better they would've been sober!'

Yup. As often as we associate the arts with 'heart,' the fact is that it's just another brain function. Even the abstract. Drinking destroys this. The good news is just as a liver will rebound to eventually start returning your phone calls again, the brain can recover as well...up to a certain point. Like any organ, too much abuse and it'll eventually be all, "That's it, dude. I'm outta here." I guess this is what they mean when they say that an alcoholic never knows which drink will kill him. I've always been fascinated by this concept...stop drinking at that last scotch, and your liver will recover over the next decades. Order one more round...and it's your last.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I know certain people who aren't going to get function back.
It took me a while torealize that this is what they described as 'wet brain' in the BB.

Lemme tellya:
it's scarier'n hell to witness first hand.

so yea, the brin can and does repair
it can even find wnew pathways they didn't even think possible
before somebody up and does it....

but that's not the story for everyone.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Is it hot here or am I crazy?

I love this topic. Many people don't view the brain as an 'organ' and the mind (your thought process) as being a function of this organ.

My brain had become so accustomed to functioning with alcohol, that it freaked out when I stopped feeding it to it. I had a lot of physical health issues for the first six months of sobriety (sleep disorder, higher blood pressure, lack of appetite). My mind was not accustomed to working without alcohol either (frustration, confusion, overly emotional, no cognition of time elapsing). It took me close to 1 year before my mind and body began to function in sober unison.

I have found that the mind must be exercised just like a muscle. It is so important for a recovered alcoholic/addict to learn new knowledge (reading) or get involved with a creative hobby - something that requires manual dexterity. Music, painting, writing.

Once I learned how to "learn" my mind/body recovery became a joy. Temptation still haunts and lurks - but I would never exchange my learning abilities ever again just for a buzz.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LBW

I read in another article (that I can't find now) that the damage to the frontal lobe has an effect on the person's impulse control. It said within the first 3 months of sobriety, this area is significantly repaired. The article said the researchers thought the AA concept of "90 meetings in 90 days" is a great approach while this area heals.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBW View Post
I read in another article (that I can't find now) that the damage to the frontal lobe has an effect on the person's impulse control. It said within the first 3 months of sobriety, this area is significantly repaired. The article said the researchers thought the AA concept of "90 meetings in 90 days" is a great approach while this area heals.

I remember reading that somewhere. Not sure if it was from one of the recent books I read on recovery or an online article. Talk about not remember lol
Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i hope my 'brain damage' will repair itself, as i find it really frustrating to want to say something and it will come out all wrong, for instance if i want to say the word 'cooker' it will come out as 'computer' i only get the first letter right,also my short term memory is not brilliant but better than it was,
Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great topic.

This is the most thing that causes me anxiety. The thought of losing my braincells and mind.
I used to be quite sharp and have a good memory but recently I find it difficult to think and solve even the slightest problems which causes me stress and loss of confidence.

It is nice to know I will get some of this 'cleverness' back after sometime.. its still early days for me (1 week)
Old 11-20-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBW View Post
I found this very interesting....

"Alcoholism damages brain structure and function. Alcoholics have impairments in the ability to reason, plan or remember.... and a difficulty in ability to understand negative consequences. ...damage to frontal lobe.

However, studies have shown the brain can start to repair itself after an alcoholic ceases to consume alcohol. There is a pronounced increase in new brain cells within four-to-five weeks of abstinence. This included a twofold burst in brain cell proliferation at day seven of abstinence."

Additionally, exercise can help a recovering alcoholic speed brain cell regeneration to repair damage done by alcoholism.

From these articles:

New Brain Cells Develop During Alcohol Abstinence, UNC Study Shows

Could Exercise Regenerate Alcohol-Damaged Neurons? ? Psychiatric News
Glad I stopped drinking. My brain needed a brake! LOL. I can tell I am not as sharp as I used to be.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I was in my second month of no alcohol a friend told me that I can look forward to a much clearer mind after 90 days. And, right around 90 days or so, I was surprised at how much the fog lifted, seemingly overnight. And, since then my thinking has increasingly been sharper and quicker to the point of amazing myself. At nearly 4 months now it seems like I've hit a plateau, but I can't be happier with my recovered brain power...
Old 11-20-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Coming up on 2 months,my mind is still short circuiting and easily overloaded with simple tasks. Short term memory is still shot! If my ears would stop ringing,might be able to think again,grrrrr! I have to write stuff down and my mind just feels exausted. I can spell the word Dog now,so thats good news. Hope the fog will lift soon!

Ron
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rondfw777 View Post
Coming up on 2 months,my mind is still short circuiting and easily overloaded with simple tasks. Short term memory is still shot! If my ears would stop ringing,might be able to think again,grrrrr! I have to write stuff down and my mind just feels exausted. I can spell the word Dog now,so thats good news. Hope the fog will lift soon!

Ron
The fog will lift, you'll see! Be patient- just another month or so. Also, around my 2nd or 3rd week I realized how shot my short-term memory was so I bought a pocket notebook with calendar that I kept on or near me 24/7. It helped tremendously. Actually now, at 4 months with my vastly improved brain function, I rarely need the notebook. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am exactly like DRK.... First three months sober I thought I was loosing what little brainpower I lad left... after that recovery began... of course i'm still fairly new to this...
Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...

Barb mentioned "wet brain" and she is correct.
That can not be overcome with abstinence.

What is wet brain ---
Dr. James West, Betty Ford Center

"Good question. The term wet brain refers to a very real condition known as Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. This chronic brain syndrome is caused by long-term alcoholism and is accompanied by a triad of symptoms: 1) mental disturbance; 2) confusion, drowsiness and paralysis of eye movements; and 3) ataxia or a staggering gait. A primary cause for this is a thiamine (vitamin B1) deficiency due to severe malnutrition and poor intestinal absorption of food and vitamins caused by alcohol. The person with wet brain acts much like the Alzheimer’s victim with loss of recent memory, disorientation with regard to time and place, confusion and confabulation, or telling imagined and untrue experiences as truth. If wet brain is identified in its early onset, an infusion of thiamine (B1) may help. Unfortunately, there is no recovery from Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. Therefore, it is one of the most tragic consequences of alcoholism."
And....
While many people do find the concept of 90 & 90
useful.....it did not come from AA.
The AA program can be found in the first
164 pages of the vook Alcoholics Anonymous.

In treatment centers....behavoral researchers came
up with the idea that it takes 90 days to change
a habit. I'm not saying that is true or not....I
I am saying it did not come from AA.

Sucessful long term abstinence. does not necessarily require meetings..
We have SR members who are shining examples
of recovery without meetings of any formal program...