Notices

what made you want to quit?

Old 11-19-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Lotus2009 View Post

My Question to those of you who have been sober for a while: what made you WANT to quit?

Is it something that you realized while in the process of treatment or was there something that happened before treatment that made you realize you want to get sober?

(Maybe I don't understand it, but I feel like if you really want to quit you will be proactive about it and go to forums like this one, or to AA, or read books on the subject, or build yourself a support system, etc... grabbing on to whatever straw you can find ?
First of all asking a addict what made them want to QUIT is the wrong question. Addicts want drugs or booze no matter what.

What makes us want to CHANGE is suffering. Without suffering I doubt any of us would ever CHANGE.

For those of us who really want to change, proactive is a good word to describe it. Action is the best word that describes it. Without action nothing changes.

"grabbing on to whatever straw you can find" is the minimum action required.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Depression......that cold dark feeling of emptiness.
I detested the woman I had become because of alcohol.

Read my sig line for how I feel now
Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....Cwolf
Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Helpful thread.... keep it going, please.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I quit out of desperation. I finally realized that I could no longer "manage" my addiction as my life became "unmanageable".
Old 11-19-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I quit because I can't truly enjoy my almost 3 year olds company hungover-that and her pointing to the bottle of wine and sayin yucky did something to my mind and finally flipped that switch-I hope!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

After 30 years of drinking, the last 5 very heavy, I suffered a minor stroke. Not having any permanent damage was probably better for my psyche as I breathed a huge sigh of relief and realized how damn lucky I was. I haven't had a drop since and have committed myself to never again. Next week will be 4 months since I was scared straight...
Old 11-20-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you all so much for your responses and helping me see the effects of addiction from the a's point of view. It is always helpful to read other people's stories. I know there is a lot of shame that AH is dealing with and I also know that he is trying treatment mainly because of the shame and guilt - because he doesn't want to dissappoint me and his family. It is so sad to see how much alcohol can destroy. I wish you all the best on your road to recovery.

Thank you also for showing concern about my well being. I am trying to work on me (taking tiny babysteps... but slowly getting there).

LBW - your post was very helpful. I have been contemplating moving out the past few months. I am going back and forth, but have decided to give myself some time to figure out if moving out is really what I want (and if I do I know I will do it for ME - not HIM). All the best to you and your dad!