Notices

Was an Alcoholic at age 8

Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Was an Alcoholic at age 8

I was an alcoholic at the age of 11 or probably earlier. Although I didn't get drunk till I was 13, it was that feeling of not being right emotionally that I had when I was 8 . That is my Alcoholism. The one in where I took my first drink and I knew my problems were solved. This, at thirteen when I liked this girl and had emotions that I had no Idea how to deal with. But I did. I raided my moms Bourbon and got drunk. Drinking was the answer. Or the high school party where
I to down a couple of pitchers just to be able to feel comfortable enough not to run.

On and on and more later.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

welcome, vulcan!

take your time ... we're here 24/7.

as you feel ready, hon.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post

I had to down a couple of pitchers just to be able to feel comfortable enough not to run.
I can identify with that. I was uncomfortable in my own skin before I took my first drink and became uncomfortable in my own skin after I tried to stop drinking. Drinking was my solution for 30+ years and only became a problem when it stopped giving me the sense of ease and comfort that I was looking for.

For me the ISM of alcoholism starts where the bottle ends. If "not drinking" were enough to end my suffering I would not need a spiritual program.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate, pop's moonshine was always just sitting out, thinking the kids wouldn’t touch it, I never got too drunk back then, but it did make me more cleaver, social, girl friendly... (it really did) no wonder it’s so hard to put it down, its been there our whole lives... It's a social tool.

I guess I was an alcoholic at an early age too; funny I haven’t said that out loud yet or typed it, thanks...

Welcome to the forum, you have come to a good place for information,
Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, well at least I'm not quite as ahead of the game. Getting drunk at age 13 sounds relatively impressive, at least for this type of deal.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again Vulcan....
I'm really glad you decided to start a thread and share
Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Vulcan

I can totally relate, all that was missing from the age of about 8 was my drug of choice...already felt different, isolating as much as possible, fearful, shamed etc...and you are right self medicating was the answer, well my answer anyway cos i sure wasn't going to listen to anyone else...in hindsight it was the wrong one and took me 30 years to ask for help and realise that, but hey, all good today

Welcome!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Vulcan

D
Old 11-18-2009, 11:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome Vulcan
Old 11-19-2009, 12:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I believe, I was a drunk at 16. I was able to achieve the same effect from beer, until I got into hard alcohol and bad denatured alcohols. dont know at this precise point what to use. Chrsit, I think I'm drunk at this point and time.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hello vulcan and welcome to sr.i can relate.i was spiritually sick as a child.i was the square peg in the round hole.drink like you say was the answer,,,,,,at first.i can relate alot to what you said.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can relate to your post as well. I really didn't consider myself an unhappy child. But I remember the very first time I drank I was 10 or 11... and I remember an exact moment where I thought to myself, "this is how I'm supposed to feel!" It was like I had this click in my brain or something. To this day that moment stands out in my memory more than any other experience I've ever had. And I spent the rest of my life trying to feel that way. I drank every chance I got, and as much as I could. I really do believe I was addicted from the start.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome Vulcan!

I was a very young alcoholic too... I hated the taste of what daddy drank, but I sure liked the way it made me feel... And did my best to stay feeling that way for the next 20 years...

Take care,
TB, now liking the taste of sober