Notices

Day 2 again

Old 11-18-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 again

Hey guys and gals, I'm on day 2 again... This is the worst day for me since I will probably start feeling better this afternoon and then its game on. Trying to find the courage and determination to just get through tonight and see what tomorrow brings. I've been a lurker for a few months, and decided to finally peek my head out.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. you are not alone.

I have good news and bad news.

First the bad. IF you are an alcoholic, this won't stop. It will get worse. MUCH worse.

The good. You can have this problem REMOVED from you life entirely.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So what are you going to do differently this time around so you don't keep having this problem again?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hello OTW, glad you've stopped lurking and joined us on SR, the desire to stay sober might save your life. It doesn't have to be "game on", the game can end right now if you make the choice.

The best thing I can do today is to go to bed sober, tomorrow I'll have the chance to do it all over again. It's your choice, you can do this one day at a time.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Come to chat here tonight...that helps a lot of people in early recovery.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
Old 11-18-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies... I was thinking about going to the gym tonight, but after today at work I'm pretty tired. Just some past history, I did have a pretty good year of sobriety under my belt a year and half ago. But the past year and a half the drinking has been getting worse and worse again. I used to know nothing of withdrawals, just the usual hangover. But lately I'm starting to find out what people are talking about with the withdrawals.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and glad you are here. Have you checked out the loving, caring people at AA yet? It is what got me sober.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OntheWabash View Post
I did have a pretty good year of sobriety under my belt a year and half ago. But the past year and a half the drinking has been getting worse and worse again. I used to know nothing of withdrawals, just the usual hangover. But lately I'm starting to find out what people are talking about with the withdrawals.
Glad you're here!

The drinking always got worse for me. They say alcoholism is a "progressive" disease, so it will only get worse.

If you're experiencing significant withdrawal issues, you may want to consider talking with your doctor. Alcohol withdrawal can kill people, and sometimes medical intervention is necessary. Do please take care ...
Old 11-18-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, tonight was hard. Got off work, went for a drive, saw some family, grabbed a sandwich, and then went home. Thats when the fun started. Got the sweats, the burning itchy skin, then after I dropped my pickle (I don't eat them on the sandwich) noticed just how bad I was shaking. I was fine all day long just tired. Does this happen all the time at normall time you'd be drinking?? Made it through tonight though, feeling better and the shakes have gone away.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 2, I am jealous, I have seen day 2 many times buts just like you I get the itches and mental crazy’s, but I always seem to give in sooner or later, hang in there, make this work. I know I can’t sit here and give much advice but do know the hell you’re trying to escape…

I’ll muster up the strength again (I hope soon), I still read but feeling like a big failure at the moment, be tough, be tougher than IT!

Now I should take my own advice, easier said than done…

Give it all you have, like your life depends on it!

My mind always goes back thinking, I am not that bad, my liver isn’t swollen bellow my rib cage, gosh if it was it would probably be too late, It’s got nothing to do with your intelligence, the alcoholic mind seems to be smarter than us, until we “Refuse to Drink”, I am praying for you!

An Alcoholic,
Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OTW,
When I REALLY overdrank big time, I would get the shakes and sweats. Never had the itch problem in general, but my nose would run and itch like crazy. I started keeping a journal a while back and wrote down how I felt during those awful times (that is, after I stopped shaking). There were times it was so bad, I couldn't even maneuver the mouse. Pretty pathetic. I'm now 13 days sober and feeling physically really good. My mind is in a good place most of the time. I just try not too look too far into the future.
to SR. Hope you stick around.

BTW, check out the various Newcomers forums. You will find a lot of people new into recovery just like you hope to be.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: originally West Palm Beach, but currently eastern Tenn.
Cool day 1

I'm no stranger to AA, my first meeting was in Sep 79 in okinawa japan. the marines thought this twenty year old was drinking too much, go figure. over the last thirty years i have actually managed to get a year or two sober in from time to time.
I'm 50 now and trying hard but i am having day 1 over and over again. I am currently way out in the country without transportation so no way to a meeting. there is however a beer store nearby, go figure.
i'm serious about getting sober so my only lifeline with like minded people is this internet thing which i'm new to. would like to hear comments from people on this.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gypsy--Welcome to SR! This is a great place to stay connected to if you are trying to keep sober. Pretty much everyone has been through the same misery as you are going through. Congrats on Day 1! Don't minimize it. Getting past day zero is a challenge.

Read the posts, share if you feel like it, ask for advice if you need it, and generally just stay connected with us here daily. I visit the site at least 2-3 times a day and it has really helped me stay focused. I am only on day 13, but for me that's a real accomplishment. Trying just to take it a day at a time.

Glad you found SR!!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
seeking recovery

Dear Gypsy
you are a true inspiration that you have never given up! I am on day 14 and although still hard, everyday without a drink is my biggest accomplishment.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome to SR, Wabash and Gypsy

Even in the country, there may be a meeting reasonably close by, you might could call the AA number in the area and see if somebody is willing to drive you over.

Withdrawals are unpredictable, Wabash... medical advice might be what you want. I have found no set time the shakes come, or any other type of symptom, but candy has helped me with the shakes.

Take care y'all,
TB
Old 11-20-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I'm back to say I'm on day 4 and going strong. Tonight and this weekend are probably gonna drive me nuts. Just have to keep busy doing things I normally wouldn't be able to do if I was drunk. Seems to help pass the time quicker.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing well this Friday night-this is usually my big downfall with staying sober but I have managed to not go to the liquor store for my weekend bottle of wine tonight so looks like this will be my first friday not drinking in....hmmm.....since nov 1 2007. The habit is hard to break but now that I have cut down the weekend drinkin is the last to go and I'm determined to stay with it this weekend-I'm right there with you-stay strong
Old 11-20-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I went to hell and back with withdrawals up thru day 7. My wife held my hand like a baby,worst time of my life. Finally slept after 2 weeks of infomercials all night. In fact it got so bad that around day 5 I had to go get a beer just to keep me from dying,but after that I was done. Doc or ER if it gets bad,but what is bad?

Stay Strong!!!!!

Ron