Notices

I'm going to quit....

Old 11-19-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The hardest day is the day before day 1. Getting the courage and resolve to decide to quit drinking is much much harder than continuing to not drink. If you can do day one, you can do any day.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Welcome aboard and good luck with the detoxing. I am also a frequent day 3'er however the last detox was some time ago.

I've had detoxes from hell and some detoxes came from Heaven despite no changes in my absurd amount of drinking. You know this can be the last one you have and trust me that is a great thing.

Experiences vary tremendously on this so do your reading and hopefully others will hop on to share their stories and wisdom. Whatever you do BE SAFE!

Things that helped me ALOT in early sobriety were and still are running, walking, biking, MY ROCKING CHAIR LOL, good reading and involving TV... don't forget AA - like it or not you will be sober for that hour!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yesterday

Yesterday was day #2 AND I WAS SHAKING so bad i had a couple of glasses of wine to try and stop shaking.I haven't had anything today,but the shakes are alot better.So i guess i'm back to day one.I couldn't stand to be shaking that bad.Maybe i should have weened myself more better....
Sorry everyone
Tony
Old 11-19-2009, 04:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Doesn't matter if you are on day 1 or day 100. You didn't drink today. Plan not to drink tomorrow. No need to be sorry or apologize. We all understand what you must have been going through. Keep reading here and keep posting to let us know how it is progressing. We care!!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey -- keep trying and keep posting. I had lots of "day 1s" and "day 2s", etc ... I had to get help to stay sober. (AA helped me)

Please talk with your doctor about the shakes. Withdrawal can be dangerous -- shakes can turn into seizures. Sometimes medical intervention is necessary.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

the shakes

I think i'm back on track now.I was just shaking to bad and couldn't control them.
Tony
Old 11-20-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nvguy View Post
I think i'm back on track now.I was just shaking to bad and couldn't control them.
Tony
Tony,

I really think you should see a medical doctor or go to the E.R. It will take you 2-3 hours at most, but you will get through the withdrawals without little to no shaking/anxiety/etc. It could also save your life. None of us know how severe your withdrawals are but you. However, if you have been drinking daily for an extended period of time, it is in your best interest to seek medical advice. Having a few glasses of wine to control the shakes is at best keeping your withdrawal at bay until it comes back again. I know going to the Dr. is hard, and you may not have health insurance, but remember emergency rooms are legally obligated to admit you for alcohol withdrawal, no matter what. You'll get some nice relaxing benzodiazepines and you will feel so much better and comfortable about your detox.

Again, I don't know your situation. You may be just fine going without going to the Dr. But if you have to drink wine because your shakes are so bad it sounds to me like you would benefit from at least seeking some medical advice.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

nv guy,

I just went through it at an inpatient detox facility. It was still horrible, but I had some meds to help. I could never get through the shakes on my own without having to take a shot of something eventually. Your body needs the alcohol at this point, so PLEASE go to a medical professional who will give you something to calm you so you won't pick up the bottle instead.

Also, if you're doing this alone it could be very dangerous if you have a seizure and there's noone to help you. Having another human being who understands what you're going through is also a plus.

Good luck friend, you can do it.....
Old 11-20-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I agree that nvguy should maybe go to er, only he knows how severe his wd's are but I thought I read earlier in the post he had talked to his dr. and the doc gave him some ativan to help with anxiety and that is a benzo. But if that doesnt cut it nv certainly go to the er or call rescue. They can't refuse you treatment with or without ins.

Take care and keep us posted!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

detox

as weird as it seems i think i'm doing so much better.i am on day one again.I'm doing so much better and i love it.
Tony
Old 12-28-2009, 11:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Howdy nvguy, I was just reading your post and saw you havnt posted in a while. How are things going?

Hope all is well,
Michael
Old 12-29-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am going to quit.

It was suggestedby a moderator that after posting a number of threads on the,'Where are you now?'forum which seemed to achieve a positive response that was not asked for but nevertheless was very gratifying.
Fool that I am, I posted one thread,'Did I quit?' a rhetorical question with what I hoped was a sensible explanation, no problem. . . . . . and then I took a beating.

Apparently this site is full of people who can just quit, no matter for how long they've been drinking, what it's cost them, how low they've sunk, the harm done to others.

Added to this is that all they have to do is not only quit, but just pay a little,'lip service' to that mumbo jumbo thing, y'know all that spiritual stuff, which no one really believes in and that's it, job done, brilliant.

For myself, remebering this is a,'selfish programme', I wish you well, I've never heard such a load of bunkum in my life, I'm outa here. Mike W.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Michael W....
I'm sorry you have not found SR helpful.
Best wishes on your journey
Old 12-29-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Maybe the mods should return your deposit.

Good luck with that attitude
Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Hi MW,

I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving, but should you decide to return, SR holds no grudges and you'll be welcomed back anytime.

I looked through your thread and unless some posts were deleted, I wasn't sure where this beating was coming from - are you sure it was external?

Don't let it get you down, the world has some mean people and SR is no exception - but for the most part (more than any other site I've been too anyway) SR's cup of nice, caring, and thoughtful people spilleth over.

On day 2 or 3 (not sure which day in my newly found sobriety it was) a user told me to walk into the road and get shot. He/She was probably going through a bad day or off the wagon but his/her problem wasn't going to be my problem.

Basically,
1. Come back soon.
2. Don't let people interfere with your positive attitude.
3. Make sure you have a positive attitude for 2 to begin with.

Take care.

nvguy,
How goes it?