Notices

Hi everybody

Old 11-16-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everybody

I'm really really glad that I found this group.

I'm a 35-year-old professional, living in West Yorkshire, who has been struggling with alcohol addiction for the past five years.

I'm on day 11 of my latest binge, and have just been advised by my local support ground here - a team of professionals - to try weaning myself off first, before I go to hospital.

Bit of history: Been to hospital twice in the past 2 months. Had to be taken by ambulance both times because I was so weak I couldn't move my legs (has anyone else ever experienced this?).

When I do get to hospital, the staff is kind to a fault, but I'd really like to try it myself this time.

I drink about a litre or so of Vodka every day and have been doing so for the past 10-11 days. Tomorrow I start my weaning. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Does the weaning alleviate the worst of the withdrawal symptoms?

Should I even be weaning or should I just get to hospital before the symptoms begin? (I'm still drinking, right now).

Past symptoms:

Profound weakness (i.e. unable to move)
DT's, including both auditory and visual hallucinations
One possible seizure
And the rest of the usual ones like anxiety, fear of dying, etc.

Any advice would be really appreciated. And, thanks for being there.

westyorks
Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

I would go by whatever your doctor tells you to do. I personally have never heard of 'weaning' as something that is effective. It seems recommended around here from time to time, by medical professionals with questionable experience in alcoholism and addiction. I also, personally, find it a ridiculous concept to keep drinking to quit drinking. I would recommend detoxing at a local emergency room, or it's equivalent if you have a choice.. detoxing can be fatal, and the amount of Vodka you've been drinking is significant (ok, it's more than significant, that's a LOT of Vodka!!!!). From the symptoms you're describing, I say march your happy a$$ to the nearest emergency or urgent care center and get some help, and FAST.

Who told you to wean yourself off? I think it's incredibly irresponsible, and a nearly impossible concept for alcoholics to follow.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum....

It's against our SR Rules to give medical advice
as what is best for you needs to be addressed
by your doctor. We have no one qualified to do so.

We do have a link of info and our personal experiences
about de toxing.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

In your situation....I would be heading for a hospital de tox.
I certinaly hope you will be too.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was told by my doctor, as well as several nationally funded support groups. They say that many people have success in doing so, and I've actually done it before, successfully - ONCE.

I must admit that I find it a bit difficult to believe that it works for so many people, but I'll try it for a day or two and see how I do. If I get myself into a poor state, then I'll head right for the A&E (Emergency Room).

There, they give you an IV drip of B-vitamins to replace what your brain has lost, as well as Librium to control the withdrawal symptoms.

The only reason I'm even considering this is that I also have panic disorder, so have a good stock of Clonazepam - which is just another benzo, like Librium.

Clonazepam, however, I have never abused. Two addictions is enough for me, thanks (alcohol & cigarettes).

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
I would go by whatever your doctor tells you to do. I personally have never heard of 'weaning' as something that is effective. It seems recommended around here from time to time, by medical professionals with questionable experience in alcoholism and addiction. I also, personally, find it a ridiculous concept to keep drinking to quit drinking. I would recommend detoxing at a local emergency room, or it's equivalent if you have a choice.. detoxing can be fatal, and the amount of Vodka you've been drinking is significant (ok, it's more than significant, that's a LOT of Vodka!!!!). From the symptoms you're describing, I say march your happy a$$ to the nearest emergency or urgent care center and get some help, and FAST.

Who told you to wean yourself off? I think it's incredibly irresponsible, and a nearly impossible concept for alcoholics to follow.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Right... Sorry, Carol. I hadn't read that part of the rules.

I was just relating what I was doing and not giving medical advice. At least I don't THINK I was.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was told by my doctor, as well as several nationally funded support groups. They say that many people have success in doing so, and I've actually done it before, successfully - ONCE.
Well.....
then you do whatever you are going to do.
It's my experience that most of us do anyway.

Follow their advice/plan on de toxing
and I hope it works out for you again.

Please keep reading and possting...glad you are here

Last edited by CarolD; 11-16-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used a quit smoking program that was like this once. (yes different drug, different reactions) Basically it tells you to step down in nic content every week or 2 until you are down to .1. Then you quit, and battle more of the mental addition and less physical. It did actually work for me.

Knowing that information, when I found myself in a bad place with alcohol, I did the same thing. I just tapered down to nothing in a few days. So what I'm saying is there is merit in it, but 1L of vodka a day is a lot. Does your Dr. know the amount you drink? I would ask him to provide a schedule to taper down on if you want to try that approach.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Should I even be weaning or should I just get to hospital before the symptoms begin? (I'm still drinking, right now).
please get straight to hospital and or doctor before you stop abruptly..get a second opinion on the weaning off..

im a chronic alcoholic and suffered all the syptoms you described...when alcohol is removed abruptly.
to be fair my body was in pretty poor physical condition which may have made it worse.

i have a history seizures/fits........i have had them up till day 8 maybe 9.
A portion of my tougue is missing due to doing it "my way".....far better to be under hospital supervision....imo.

the theory that you go to the A+E If you have a hard time.....is not a safe prospect imo.......
if you fit and swallow your tougue your going nowhere....apart from the undertakers

please keep posting your journey........id be interested.
oh and welcome to sr
Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

By the way, I think some of you may have misunderstood me. Those are symptoms I have had in the past. I'm not presently having any symptoms and am - as you can tell from my typing - functioning reasonably well.

I've actually already started my weaning process, now, because I just wanted to get it started. I'm now drinking HALF of what I did yesterday. The addictions centre recommended that I stay at that level for a day or two - or until I'm more comfortable, and then switch over to wine, and then gradually taper that down.

My doctor also told me that I do get the shakes badly, I can take Clonazepam, but that if I begin to experience DTs to get myself into the hospital as soon as I can.

I'll actually keep you apprised of how I'm doing. Will update tonight and again in the morning (keep in mind that I live the UK, so my schedule is a bit different than yours).

In any event, thanks for being there.

westyorks

Past symptoms:

Profound weakness (i.e. unable to move)
DT's, including both auditory and visual hallucinations
One possible seizure
And the rest of the usual ones like anxiety, fear of dying, etc.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, they know how much I drink. It's pretty usual for me to drink that much when I'm on a binge.

I'm encouraged that it worked for you. But, also don't forget that I've been bingeing like this for about five years - off and on. I'm also still eating voraciously and drinking 8-10 pints of water a day, now. Just started that, yesterday.

Originally Posted by towhere View Post
I used a quit smoking program that was like this once. (yes different drug, different reactions) Basically it tells you to step down in nic content every week or 2 until you are down to .1. Then you quit, and battle more of the mental addition and less physical. It did actually work for me.

Knowing that information, when I found myself in a bad place with alcohol, I did the same thing. I just tapered down to nothing in a few days. So what I'm saying is there is merit in it, but 1L of vodka a day is a lot. Does your Dr. know the amount you drink? I would ask him to provide a schedule to taper down on if you want to try that approach.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome to SR
You won't have the symptoms of withdrawal until you stop drinking - seek the doc if it gets bad. Theres great info and support here.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Definitely keep us updated. I never tried to wean myself off alcohol, I always waited until I was so weak that I had to crawl to the bathroom...I know what you mean when you say your legs don't function, I too had to go to the ER in an ambulance because of that. I would do what your doctor recommends, but I've found in my experiance most of my doctors haven't understood alcoholism, so I might go to the ER anyway just to be safe. (Hope this doesn't count as medical advice!)
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

DAY ONE OF HALF MY DAILY INTAKE:

Having about 2.5oz every three hours or so. Was rough for the first several hours, but seems to evening out, now. My main concern is how I'll feel when I wake up in the morning. I feel like I've made headway and am anxious that I'll wake up feeling right where I left off.

I guess we'll see.

Going to bed shortly, with another 2.5oz drink.

westyorks

Originally Posted by aqua4017 View Post
Definitely keep us updated. I never tried to wean myself off alcohol, I always waited until I was so weak that I had to crawl to the bathroom...I know what you mean when you say your legs don't function, I too had to go to the ER in an ambulance because of that. I would do what your doctor recommends, but I've found in my experiance most of my doctors haven't understood alcoholism, so I might go to the ER anyway just to be safe. (Hope this doesn't count as medical advice!)
Old 11-16-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Perhaps if I post the exact rule..it will clarify our guideline...

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician
Any posts that violate this rule will be removed.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

DAY TWO of my weaning:

My anxieties about waking up sick as a dog and with the shakes were NOT realised, this morning.

Woke up feeling less weak, very much in my right mind - after being very crabby last night with family (I apologised) - and happy that this seems to be working.

I'm going to cut myself down to 1.5oz/drink and try to space them out by more than three hours, today.

Folks, for those of you who said this wouldn't work: I would never recommend any method for detox other than one that is medically supervised. Luckily, my Mum is visiting with me right now - and she's a nurse.

If you do try this method - and I am not recommending it - you need to REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to STOP. I did. If I didn't, well, knowing my total lack of power over alcohol, I'd never have been able to do it. Particularly not unsupervised.

Will keep you posted on how today goes.

westyorks
Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

DAY TWO Update:

Dropped back from Vodka now to Red Wine. Still feeling good.

I'm drinking about half a glass of red wine every three hours and even then only as 'needed.'

I'm also taking Thiamine and large doses of B-Vitamins - as recommended by my doctor. That's helped my brain fog a LOT. Thinking clearly, now, and think I'll probably be able to go back to work, tomorrow.

Please remember, this explication of my experiences with weaning off are DESCRIPTIVE only, and NOT prescriptive.

I have Clonazepam, just in case, but I haven't had to take any.

Weaning WORKS!

Last edited by westyorks; 11-17-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Added a line
Old 11-17-2009, 05:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would advise you to not play around with "weaning". You have no idea what withdrawal you will go into until you completely stop. I think you're playing with fire, considering that you drank up to a liter of vodka up until today.

On a good note, you have medications. If I were you I would stop the alcohol use, and take a med when you are completely sober if necessary (still better to see a doctor and make sure it's OK). I don't think weaning helps much with withdrawals (one could still have seizures/DTS etc), this is based off of medical journals and studies i've looked into.

Good luck though.