Notices

tough goin..strange dreams about alcohol

Old 11-15-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tough goin..strange dreams about alcohol

OK I have been sober 72 days now and in the beginning it felt easy but now bein up in the capital here dublin theres a sudden shift and its incredibly tough, for whatever reason. there are more factors of dicipline not to drink, and at the same time an increased desire.

anyways last nite i had this strange dream where i was tempted to drink but wouldnt go to this local pub because nobody liked me. then i would go to bed sober but would wake up and everyone would tell me about how id been drinking and how ****** i was. basically, every time i went to bed i would wake up drunk. the other mad dream i had was a while back there was this social outcast, a man/woman, who nobody would talk to yet i felt compelled to hang out with this guy/woman and drink with him??

bascially now i feel its getting harder by the day, literally every day seems a little more difficult than the next. i have no job, no mates and no gf, and am trying to build a new life for myself here. i cant imagine it can be easy to meet people not drinking at all. today i am just trying to make it through the nite untill the shop stops selling alcohol. thats how tough it is. and the thing is i know it will do **** all for me either, nobodys putting pressure on me, so why this strong urge?? why does it appear, true to form, after seven weeks (its always been seven weeks, now i really think about it:wtf2). i want to stay quit now before its not even worth my while stopping, only afew months ago i was on 20-30 cans of lager a day in my apartment, before i got evicted by council officials, i dont want to go back there. anyways your thoughts or any similar experiences would be appreicated sorry i have rambled on here a bit cheers guys
Old 11-15-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

congrats on staying sober for 72 days!!
i hope you keep it moving forward daily!
Old 11-15-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I heard someone say if you are dreaming about it at least it proves you are an alkie.

I dreamt about it for the first 4 months (this time) pretty much every night, all different variations. It really does make things hard, personally I don't try to analyse them. See them as proof of your problem.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

I still dream about drinking/using.. I haven't drank or used in about 15 or 16 months. I don't mind it.. kinda serves as a reminder of 'going back out' and the temporary horror I feel when I wake up and try to make sense of it pretty much helps solidify my committment to stay sober. It's like your brain keeps showing you how it is .. without having to blow your life over it.

Anyways, congrats on the 72 days. What type of program are you working for recovery? Or are you merely abstinent from alcohol..?
Old 11-15-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well at the moment i am doing nothing but staying quit, was in alcohol counselling for a few weeks but then stopped cos i was moving and didnt reckon i needed it anymore. thinking of going to aa dunno yet **whatever it takes** consistency is the key i reckon. yeh i reckon the dreams are re enforcement. 16 months is pretty amazing i hope to achievie the 1 yr mark myself thanks for reply
Old 11-15-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
9/15/08

It has been related to me that if you are dreaming of drinking/using, then it is a sign of progress. Especially if you feel guilty about it after waking up.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a book that says vitamin B-6 will help stop bad dreams. Google Vit B-6 and read what it says. I take it and don't have them.
Fred
Old 11-15-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are working on a better sober future....
Well done on your progress.

I too got sober in a city and I strongly suggest you find
local AA meetings. I found one that had mostly people
who were around my age.....and single.

Within a few weeks after I started.....I had new friends
and we shared the same goals and lifestyles.
It was immensley helpful for me to not feel alone.

Keep posting ...we do care...
Old 11-15-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, I would suggest going to AA or returning to counseling... Few of us can stay stopped without some support. One of my friends here got sober in Ireland 10 years ago in AA... Good luck man...

Clayton
Old 11-15-2009, 09:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Congrats on your 72 days.

My only advice is sort of obvious: you need to work on your recovery.

I almost relapsed at 6 months of sobriety because I wasn't working it. For me, that meant getting to AA, getting serious about the steps, getting a sponsor, etc.

Do what you need to do to stay sober....

It only gets easier to not drink when you work on the problems that made you drink. Otherwise, for many, it leads to relapse.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

087never—
When I think I've got the whole thing licked, I read a post like yours to let me know I still have to keep my guard. I'm closing in on two months and have felt pretty confident, since the urges are down to whimpers and easily chased off. But my thanks to you for a remindert o myself that in not out of the woods yet.
My best to you, my friend, I hope you continue to find the strength to resist. Don't forget your diet, too. A solid regime of good nutrition helps me immensely.

Padraic
Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've dreamt about alcohol as well. Recently, I had a dream that I snatched alcohol (specifically, Bacardi) from one of my friends houses, brought it back and stored it in my dresser. I wake up the next morning to discover it wasn't actually there. Damn!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've had a number of drinking dreams, and they always involve me trying to justify hiding the fact that I slipped up, or determining that it didn't count, that I still have x number of months or days of sobriety. I'm always so freaked out when I wake up after one of those dreams, like momentarily convinced that it really happened, and in my half-awake state I'm telling myself it doesn't count, and usually also scared of my sponsor or someone finding out. It's such a relief to discover I was dreaming!

Congrats on 72 days!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Congrat on 72 days. I'm on day 112. Have not had booz dreams, but had alot of cola dreams when I quit dancing to the Columbian marching band. Lasted a couple
months and was fine. I do get cravings for booz and coke since quitting; which was interesting in that I have not used "hard drugs in over 7 years. I think It was just my twisted mind screaming for something it is familiar with to kill some brain cells. For me
cravings have become less frequent and less intense in month 4. Meditation before bed seems to help me settle in for the night. If you get a chance google the meditation podcast; it will play on any pc, iPod, etc. Best of luck, I think it gets
better.