Notices

Hi, I am new and need some help

Old 11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I am new and need some help

To give you some background...I am 27 and really want to battle the awful feeling of needing a drink. I am still drinking now and have been browsing these forums for a few weeks now.

I am planning a date either sunday or monday to stop. I have to say that what I have read on here so far has been very powerful and usefull at the same time. I have been drinking about a liter of vodka a day for the past two years. My family had an intervention on august 4th for me but I slipped up after about three weeks. I guess right now I do not have any questions but just a shoulder to lean on. Thanks, my name is Joe.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hello Joe and welcome to SR!

I have to do the thing,
and strongly advise you nd/or anyone
to only stop drinking
under the supervision of a doctor.

I went from drinking heavily
to cold turkey stopping
I had convuslions and short term memory loss
the convulsions weren't the huge hollywood thing
it was not even discovered until much later
that I'd had them at all.
as well as some physical nerve damage as the result.

Please PLEASE seek a physician's guidance.
And please keep posting here, SR is a life saving accompaniement
to a successfully followed plan of recovery.

You'll make new friends, and get BURIED under all the good advice here!

Welcome!
Old 11-12-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joetigger66 View Post
To give you some background...I am 27 and really want to battle the awful feeling of needing a drink. I am still drinking now and have been browsing these forums for a few weeks now.

I am planning a date either sunday or monday to stop. I have to say that what I have read on here so far has been very powerful and usefull at the same time. I have been drinking about a liter of vodka a day for the past two years. My family had an intervention on august 4th for me but I slipped up after about three weeks. I guess right now I do not have any questions but just a shoulder to lean on. Thanks, my name is Joe.
Welcome!!!

Ah, there's the rub, while the words you read here may be powerful and useful, they won't keep you sober. Nor will a shoulder to lean on.

So, ya gotta plan?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did see that but in the past I have been ok when I stopped for a week or more. Unfoutunately it takes me two weeks or more to get an appointment with my doctor and I really don't want to wait that long.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Welcome!!!

Ah, there's the rub, while the words you read here may be powerful and useful, they won't keep you sober. Nor will a shoulder to lean on.

So, ya gotta plan?
I am going to inquire about an inpatient program. But I guess you got me, I just know I need to stop and do not want to go down this dangerous path. suggestions?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, did you talk to your doctor yet about stopping alcohol?

You probably should, a liter of vodka per day is a lot!

I am sure you have heard this too. Try AA, it has really, really helped me! I have never been sober for this long!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Joe.
I am not usually a "doctor person", but I agree a liter of vodka a day is quite a bit. He could make the transition a lot easier on your body. But you say you did this last august, so I guess you know what you are getting into.
If your an alcoholic like me the last thing you need is an "excuse" to keep drinking. (although you sound determined to quit).
Yes you should give AA a try (well several tries). If you go to an outpatient program, they are probably gonna recommend you go to AA also. The reason I say (several tries) is it really does take a while of attending to get the idea.
I have now been sober 8 months, and there is no way I could have done it without AA.
As I am sure your finding out, quitting can be one of the hardest things you ever do,especially if you try it without help. At AA you will be around other people that have been through this, and understand, and will help you.
I wish you the best
Fred
Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum Joe...

Because of the large ammount you are drinking
it's wise to have a medically supervised de tox.
You may need more assistance this time....it's
not something that you can accuratly predict.

Ok....how?
Your doctor....an ER...and the Salvation Army has free
short term de tox centers in many areas.

You might find info here too

National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Referral Routing Service available at
1-800-662-HELP
This service can provide you with information about treatment programs in your local community and allow you to speak with someone about alcohol problems

Please do read this link....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Many of us had false starts on our recovery journey
We are now winning over alcohol.....and
Yes! you can too......
Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 11-12-2009, 09:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One thing is for sure,I never could find a convient time to quit drinking. Drop back and punt! Get your life back and take in all the support that is here.

Welcome! and keep us posted.

Ron
Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I poured all my alcohol down the drain last night. This weekend will be the start of my detox period. I am not doing the greatest today and am expecting to have a rough couple days ahead. Thanks for all the encouragement. I only live a few blocks from the ER and will have people checking on me all weekend.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Please keep us updated. I've been through some pretty terrible detoxing on my own, so I will be praying for you.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well I poured all my alcohol down the drain last night. This weekend will be the start of my detox period. I am not doing the greatest today and am expecting to have a rough couple days ahead. Thanks for all the encouragement. I only live a few blocks from the ER and will have people checking on me all weekend.
What a great start! I'm glad you will have people checking on you. One of my problems was the tendency to isolate, trying to do everything myself and by myself. And I'm married! That's one reason why I love this community. It is easy to immerse yourself among other people who have gone thru the same things you have (even worse) and survived and QUIT! I'm a newbie too but so far I am doing good and feeling soooo.... much better. I'll be thinking of you this weekend. Keep in touch!!:ghug3