Notices

Campral

Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Campral

Hey all. I've been around this forum for a loooooong time. So long, in fact, I'm on my 3ed username. I, like my name indicates, have waisted so many years being drunk, getting drunk, recovering from being drunk, wanting to get get drunk, thinking of getting drunk, etc... I am ready to stop, I want to stop, I medically need to stop, etc...

I am very familiar with the site and did a topic search form Campral and did not find out much. I'm just looking for feedback from the community regarding this drug. I've tried about everything but I've never been able to calm my brain down from wanting booze. So far so good, the thought of it is not appealing. I know it's best to couple this with AA and accountability partners, but I want to find out how others have responded to the drug.

Thanks,

waistedyears...
Old 11-11-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i tried campral a few months ago...it gave me headaches but it did help me not obsess about drinking..i quit taking it and started drnking again..i am going to go back to my doc and tell him about the headaches but in the meantime i am going to start taking it again today...i would go to your doctor and get advice, good luck and keep on hanging in there.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Since you have been here for years....you do know we can not
give medical advice tho sharing personal experiences is ok.

Welcome back....

I quit drinking long before Campral was marketed
I have not used the drug.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

bark......
Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

Hope you and your doctor can work things out
to your benefit

Recovery Really Rocks...
Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just to refresh everyones memory....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician
Any post that violates this will be removed.
Thanks for respecting our guidelines
Old 11-11-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys... I'm not really looking for medical advice. I have a Dr. who perscribed it, I think it's fair enough to get people's expireience regarding the drug though. I just want to know how it worked for some people.

Thanks,
Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waistedyears View Post
Hey all. I've been around this forum for a loooooong time. So long, in fact, I'm on my 3ed username. I, like my name indicates, have waisted so many years being drunk, getting drunk, recovering from being drunk, wanting to get get drunk, thinking of getting drunk, etc... I am ready to stop, I want to stop, I medically need to stop, etc...

I am very familiar with the site and did a topic search form Campral and did not find out much. I'm just looking for feedback from the community regarding this drug. I've tried about everything but I've never been able to calm my brain down from wanting booze. So far so good, the thought of it is not appealing. I know it's best to couple this with AA and accountability partners, but I want to find out how others have responded to the drug.

Thanks,

waistedyears...
I was on Campral for a period of time. I didn't use it along with AA. I eventually lost interest in staying sober and stopped taking the medicine.

It did appear to help! I have seven months of sobriety using AA now. I talked to my psychiatrist about Campral and filled of prescription. The idea is that, if I drink again then I will immediately start taking Campral. Or, if I feel like I am getting close to drinking then I will start taking Campral.

I have heard that it can be effective when used in conjunction with something like AA.

Have you legitimately tried AA before as a means to stay sober?

I have tried a lot of things and AA is the first thing that has worked well for me.

I plan on continuing in my AA program indefinitely.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Caleb... I have been to AA several times, but have never really "worked" AA. I plan on it this time. I have wanted to stop for a long time but I get these huge cravings in my head. It's as if my mind needs the booze to calm down and focus, then wants the booze hits my system the allergy of alcholism kicks in and I drink far more than a normal person. I will do whatever it takes this time. I really hope the addition of Campral will help. Ozsandy.... good to hear there have not been any huge side effects. Glad it's working for you guys. I'm going to keep it up!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I take campral and use AA for my recovery.

Campral helps me sleep at night and definitely helps with cravings. I didn't notice any side effects accept it made me feel kind of funky at first. Sleepy and loopy. That went a way though.

I think it really helped a lot when I first quit drinking. It is supposed to help your brain chemistry get back to normal. Now I am kind of in maintenance.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've tried every anti-craving med on the market. Campral did not work for me, but Naltrexone worked wonders. Naltrexone and Campral work differently and individuals will usually have a positive experience with one of the two. I suggest you ask your doc about Naltrexone if Campral is not effective for you.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
9/15/08

For me, Campral was about the same as Naltrexone when it came to reducing cravings.

Difference is, I was ready to quit when I took the Campral. I was still doing 'research' when I took Naltrexone years ago.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

my doctor prescribed Campral.

I used it successfully ALONG WITH a program of recovery,
the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

It says right in the paperwork for the drug
that it is designed to be used
as a SUPPORT for a strong committment to stip
and a program of recovery.

It is not an answer in and of itself.

Just FYI.