Notices

Chaired my first meeting last night

Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chaired my first meeting last night

At my home group, was very nervous to start with but did ok once my share was out the way

I've only been sober for 11 and a bit weeks now, still have low days but the good days far out weigh them
Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FNW
seeking acceptance

Yay William! Congrats on the ~12 weeks.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FNW View Post
Yay William! Congrats on the ~12 weeks.
Thanks FNW
Old 11-10-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats William.
In sitting up there you affirmed the the 12 step work of people in that meeting.

And I bet you felt the the power of the 12 step . Giving back.

Step 12 is the missing link that brings together a seeming random group of spiritual principles ( 2-11) and makes it all work for alcoholics IMO.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomvlll View Post
Congrats William.
In sitting up there you affirmed the the 12 step work of people in that meeting.

And I bet you felt the the power of the 12 step . Giving back.

Step 12 is the missing link that brings together a seeming random group of spiritual principles ( 2-11) and makes it all work for alcoholics IMO.
I got a lot from last nights meeting, although I couldn't share much wisdom just chairing the meeting was great and I look forward to many more
Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great to hear my man... I should start chairing in a couple weeks--my Home group requires 6 months... But that is awesome 12 step work is where it is at...
Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheSunAlsoRises View Post
Great to hear my man... I should start chairing in a couple weeks--my Home group requires 6 months... But that is awesome 12 step work is where it is at...
Thanks, the person who i've asked to sponsor me missed me chairing last night, he was gutted about that. We're off visiting another meeting tonight though, so I'm hoping he doesn't volunteer me to chair as he missed out last night
Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job! You'll be hooked in no time.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
William, I'm sure your homegroup appreciated your service. I really enjoy hearing people share about service work, and I know we all benefit from it.

I loved chairing meetings in early recovery, and I still make sure to do it at least once a year. For my daily commitment I empty the trash and stock the bathrooms at our AA club, it's a good reminder that I'm not so important after all
Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 11-10-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am glad that you are becoming involved with the AA fellowship. This fellowship has really changed my life. For the first time I can actually see how I can live without drinking!

PS I chaired my third meeting last night. It was fun!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 11-11-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Woo Hoo! Congrats William!

I chaired my first meeting last week, at 6 weeks sober! My sponsor had been asking me if I'd like to chair for about two weeks, but I was always way too nervous about it to step up and do it. I agreed to do it at my last meeting and you know what, it went really well! (it helped that there were only 6 other people in attendance, lol!)
The only time I got rather embarrassed what right at the end--at the close of each meeting my home group always stands, and holds hands to recite the lord's prayer. I am not a religious person, and had always resisted saying the prayer aloud--and for some reason I never realised that it was the chairperson who led the prayer.
After about 45 seconds of standing and holding hands in silence (me wondering why no one was starting), my sponsor nudged me. Let's just say my face was really red as I (finally!) led my group in the prayer, LOL!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow im jealous my home group says 1 year until you can chair, i did have the opportunity to chair though when someone forgot their glasses about 4 weeks ago and was kind of allowed to do it that one meeting which was great and everyone enjoyed it too, it was really cool. GA requires just 3 months so i have done that for a month but smaller group so not so scary!

I feel that it is quite a responsibility and good to hear you have a sponsor and are working the steps, its hard enough to explain the benefits of working the program with over half the room not working the steps and time away from their last drunk without the chair not working them too lol

Nice one!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyones kind comments There were 21 in attendance for the meeting I chaired, which was scary at first, but once I got going it was fine, looking forward to chairing many more
Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on chairing the meeting. I've chaired many meetings. I just need to remember that I am among friends when chairing....even when there are people there I don't know. And most of the meetings I am at has 80+ people in attendance.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

:applause:
Old 11-12-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
KCB.com/justfortoday :-)

Originally Posted by william1872 View Post
At my home group, was very nervous to start with but did ok once my share was out the way

I've only been sober for 11 and a bit weeks now, still have low days but the good days far out weigh them
Don't say ONLY William - 11 and a half weeks is an amazing achievement!
Good on you. I am doing a table tomorrow and I've done a few but always get a little bit nervous. What I am trying to do when I am sharing at the end as well is to ask God to direct my thoughts and I try and clear my head of any conscious thoughts and just speak from the heart. It backfires sometimes because I can get a blank mind now and then!!

Congratulations again and use SR as a good support base - it really worked for me in early recovery and still does.

Lots of Love
Kirstie xxx

Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by geekorunique View Post
Don't say ONLY William - 11 and a half weeks is an amazing achievement!
Good on you. I am doing a table tomorrow and I've done a few but always get a little bit nervous. What I am trying to do when I am sharing at the end as well is to ask God to direct my thoughts and I try and clear my head of any conscious thoughts and just speak from the heart. It backfires sometimes because I can get a blank mind now and then!!

Congratulations again and use SR as a good support base - it really worked for me in early recovery and still does.

Lots of Love
Kirstie xxx

Thanks Kirstine, I'm proud of myself and feel better every day