Notices

First 24 hours done

Old 11-09-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First 24 hours done

Alcoholic for 10 years. Sober for 10 and then thought I could drink socially again. 7 years later worse then I ever was. Drinking from the minute I get up till I go to bed. So far just can't get warm. I beat it before I'll do it again.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum....

You will find lots of support here with us
Thanks for joining and sharing.

All my best as you start anew....
Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey good luck. I'm on my first 24hrs after about 8 years of pretty hardcore abuse.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats Goofyfish

HI Goofyfish,

Congratulations on your first day. I too have just completed my 24 hours. I didn't want to admit that I had a problem for so long, I can't seem to "shut off" the thing in my brain that tells me I have had enough to drink, so now have decided to quit. It's been affecting my relationships and work in serious ways and most recently this past weekend I passed out in the washroom of a club and had to be taken out. Needless to say I've been kicked out along with my boyfriend (who is definitely not an alcoholic). I"m tired of dissappointing him over and over again...

I hit rockbottom this weekend. I'm feeling really depressed.

jo
Old 11-09-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

I got a month in after 6 years of weekend "5th a night" drinking. Prior to that I had 3 years sober & 15 years of nightly "12-pack or 5th" drinking...

Hope I don't slip up.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Glad you're here
Old 11-10-2009, 03:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wish you strength.
know what you agoing through.
it won't be easy but it will be worthwhile.
Things will look different in a week time.
Be strong !
Old 11-10-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Best of wishes to you
Old 11-10-2009, 04:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Made it thru the night with little to no sleep. Hot flashes/chills were constant. Blood pressure good and no shakes yet. Hello day 2
Old 11-10-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Congrats for your new start! Keep coming back.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck... The first 24 can be brutal but as you know its the start of something great...
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goofyish View Post
Alcoholic for 10 years. Sober for 10 and then thought I could drink socially again. 7 years later worse then I ever was. Drinking from the minute I get up till I go to bed. So far just can't get warm. I beat it before I'll do it again.
Also, you may want to talk to a doctor. You probably already know this but alcohol withdrawal can be very dangerous, keep up the good work.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

jojodancer thanks for sharing! I'm in the same boat as you it seems. My friend texted me yesterday to ask me if I remember sitting on the floor at the bar! I got this huge sinking feeling because I vaguely do. I'm so tired of embarassing myself and pushing away people in my life. Last week I had like three major binges where one I ended up at a strange guys house until 9am...sigh. Today is my 3rd day sober and I have to stop or I will end up dead or worse yet...living this dead life. I wish you luck!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

First big test, on my way to a Dr. appt I was passed by 15+ State Troopers flying down the road. 1/4 mile later another 12 heading down my road to leads to my kid's high school. Immediately turned around and flew there to find 100+ troopers, helicopters, SWAT National Guard and had the biggest pit of the stomach feeling I ever had. For 45 minutes all I could find out was there was a gunman in the school. After 4 hours all ended well as the man (who I know and is a wacko) surrendered. Turns out my son was in lockdown in the room across from where he took the principal hostage. Got my kid and he wanted a Mt. Dew so stopped at the deli grabbed a dew and saw the beer and thought "I picked a bad day to quit drinking". I then realized that had this been 3 days ago I normally would have already been working on my second six-pack by that time. It felt good knowing that I was sober when my son and wife needed me. Went back and grabbed a dew for me as well. What a day.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good luck. I'm just about 24 hours in again as well after a 6 day bender drinking from 9 or 10am until I fell asleep around 8pm. Currently just having some ice cream to prevent the heartburn, the shakes haven't been too bad this time around as I have stayed at home most of the day except for two walks and they're generally only bad when I'm in public.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goofyish View Post
First big test, on my way to a Dr. appt I was passed by 15+ State Troopers flying down the road. 1/4 mile later another 12 heading down my road to leads to my kid's high school. Immediately turned around and flew there to find 100+ troopers, helicopters, SWAT National Guard and had the biggest pit of the stomach feeling I ever had. For 45 minutes all I could find out was there was a gunman in the school. After 4 hours all ended well as the man (who I know and is a wacko) surrendered. Turns out my son was in lockdown in the room across from where he took the principal hostage. Got my kid and he wanted a Mt. Dew so stopped at the deli grabbed a dew and saw the beer and thought "I picked a bad day to quit drinking". I then realized that had this been 3 days ago I normally would have already been working on my second six-pack by that time. It felt good knowing that I was sober when my son and wife needed me. Went back and grabbed a dew for me as well. What a day.
Glad you picked a Dew instead. I heard about this morning. Never thought someone on SR would post about their own children being in that very school. Glad you could be there for you kid! That is a wonderful feeling.

We all have to learn how to cope with stress in a different fashion then we are used to. Great job and glad your kid is OK.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nettaja View Post
Good luck. I'm just about 24 hours in again as well after a 6 day bender drinking from 9 or 10am until I fell asleep around 8pm. Currently just having some ice cream to prevent the heartburn, the shakes haven't been too bad this time around as I have stayed at home most of the day except for two walks and they're generally only bad when I'm in public.
Hang in there! So you having the shakes depended upon being in public? Did that also manifest itself as anxiety?

Just curious.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caleb76 View Post
Hang in there! So you having the shakes depended upon being in public? Did that also manifest itself as anxiety?

Just curious.
I'd still mildly get the shakes at home, for example having a bowl of soup would be impossible.

Yesterday on my last day drinking I'd had about four drinks and went to a bar and was shaky in there until I'd had a couple more drinks - having to drink while holding with both hands isn't a great look! Usually when drinking out I'll start with bottles as drinking from a glass would bring them on sooner.

So yes it's definitely situational and anxiety based.

Anyway that's something I won't be dealing with for a while.