Notices

Liver damage repair period

Old 11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver damage repair period

Hi guys, I'm new to this

I visited my doctor yesterday who told my my test results indicate a damaged liver. My physical symptoms concur with this - I feel tired, get nauseous when under pressure (queueing in a supermarket, at work etc...). I have decided to knock it on the head. My doctor assures me that the damage so far is still reversible.

My question is, (besides withdrawal) how long with no alcohol will it take for the physical symptoms of liver damage to subside? I want to get on with working, but feeling like I am going to be sick is not helping!

Thanks guys.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's an individual thing based on a lot of factors. Your doctor would be the best person to give you advice on this. (We are not allowed to give medical advice on SR) I have heard people say that they have seen improvement in their physical symptoms in as little as two weeks, and others, longer. Again, I would say ask your doctor to get the most accurate picture of what to expect.

Welcome to SR!
Jomey
Old 11-09-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

For each person - only time will tell.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

Not all liver damage is recoverable from.. but sometimes it is. I'm glad your doctor has assessed that yours is, and I would imagine he has also told you how to take care of it and live healthy.

My liver wasn't damaged, by some unnatural reason. No one here can give you medical advice, but might share how their experiences have been with liver damage.

Are you done drinking ? (it's really not a silly question, a lot of people continue to drink and eat horribly after hearing news of a liver condition).
Old 11-09-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had my last drinks yesterday after I was told, and am just about to go to bed after my first booze free day.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also my diet has always been pretty good even while drinking, fruit and veg with all meals, although lots of meat too. I also kept on vitamin supplements, and am a healthy weight, although my blood pressure is slightly high.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum

Good to know you are heading into a healthier future.
Keep in focus ...glad you are here...
Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The physical symptoms you mention (if related to alcoholic liver) will vary as far as when you will 'feel' better...sometimes in a few days...sometimes alot longer...and is very individual.

If you're suffering from a low-grade alcoholic hepatitis, your Dr can see this on blood work (liver enzymes/transaminases, etc.) ...and it doesnt always cause symptoms....but indicates injury and is a big flashing red warning light that your liver is in danger. Anyway, IF you completely abstain, these liver 'markers' will usually go down to normal within 6weeks (give or take)...

But...this is an ASSUMPTION in your case...and the typical way alcoholics are first 'informed' that they're injuring their liver with alcohol...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by an4h7nyroo View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to this

I visited my doctor yesterday who told my my test results indicate a damaged liver. My physical symptoms concur with this - I feel tired, get nauseous when under pressure (queueing in a supermarket, at work etc...). I have decided to knock it on the head. My doctor assures me that the damage so far is still reversible.

My question is, (besides withdrawal) how long with no alcohol will it take for the physical symptoms of liver damage to subside? I want to get on with working, but feeling like I am going to be sick is not helping!

Thanks guys.
Because you are at this stage with your liver I would strongly suggest getting a support group that can help you in your journey with no alcohol.

I wasn't able to make any headway in my sobriety until I joined a support group to help me!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had my last drinks yesterday after I was told, and am just about to go to bed after my first booze free day.
Fantastic! Welcome to SR and keep coming back!