First parties without alcohol

Old 11-09-2009, 04:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Glad you had a great time
Old 11-09-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
Congratulations! I am glad you had a good time! This is the crazy thing about stopping drinking— you notice how many people don't drink or barely drink. When I drank I pretty much thought that the whole world was keeping up with me. Yeah right. Reality check for me: most people are near sober most of the time.
Exactly - was kind of a shock! If I had been drinking I would no doubt be the drunkest person there and it would have been inappropriate. Was a very nice change to just be relaxed and in control, rather than sloppy and slurry. Felt great to get up the next day and feel good too!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i agree with smacked. sobriety must be your number one priority if you want to make it. all the time.

for myself, i'm 4 months sober and there is no way i would invite a bunch of people over to my house to drink. that's a nightmare! why put yourself through it?

why not cancel the party? if it was me, i would tell my friends the truth: that i'm trying not to drink and i can't handle it. if they are your friends, they will understand. if they don't, no real loss.

naive
Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by naive View Post
there is no way i would invite a bunch of people over to my house to drink. that's a nightmare!
I offered to host the party before I admitted to myself that I have a problem and even considered sobriety.

Originally Posted by naive View Post
why not cancel the party? if it was me, i would tell my friends the truth: that i'm trying not to drink and i can't handle it. if they are your friends, they will understand. if they don't, no real loss.

naive
Because I'm 7 days out of denial and I don't have the guts to tell anyone in my real life, "I am an alcoholic."

I can barely believe it myself.

That's why, if you want the honest truth.

Last edited by Payton; 11-10-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
For the first two weeks after I decided to quit drinking, I basically canceled all my evening social engagements including impromptu invitations to farewell parties. When I felt ready to give it a go, I had offers from other non-drinking friends to accompany me. While I did not take them up on it, it made a positive difference just knowing that option was out there. Having someone on your side (they don't need to be an alcoholic themselves) might be something you wish to consider.