Notices

Guilt=excuse not to go to AA?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Krismutt1, I can totally relate to your feelings of guilt. But I also agree with what everyone else is posting. I went to my first AA meeting last Saturday morning at 9:00 am. I didn't feel too much guilt as they usually watch Sat morning cartoons anyway and I considered it Daddy/kids bonding time In the evenings I do other things for myself (bible study 1/week, sit on a preschool board of directors that meets 1/month, have girls night out every once in a while). So I'm trying not to see AA meetings as anything different.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks to all. You've made some really valid points that I can't ignore. I was looking for some "tough love" and I appreaciate everyone's honesty.

Meeting tonight at 8!
Old 11-07-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Krismutt - How did the meeting go?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

To the OP... welcome to SR.

Hope you find a successful solution to your problem here and/or upon some recovery path.

I don't know anything about you except that you are a mother and are going to give A.A. a shot. If A.A. becomes your path to sobriety/recovery, I'd like to see you over in the 12 Step subforum. If it's some other form of recovery, I wish you well in that too.

If it turns out that A.A. is for you, I'd like to hear more about you and booze. Are you an alcoholic of the hopeless variety? Do you need a program like A.A. to get and stay sober?

Maybe... maybe not.

Welcome again to SR and perhaps A.A.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I hope you went to the meeting krismutt and that it went well.
If you are still wondering whether it is better to stay home and drink with the kids or take the time to go to an AA meeting, take a stroll through the adult children of alcoholics threads.

I know that when I was drinking, I was not really there for my kids. In fact, they annoyed me because they interfered with my drinking. Today, I have SO much more patience and appreciation for them.

My 18 year old who left for college this summer has expressed to me how much it meant to him to have me present and sober for his senior year in high school.

I am a sober Mom today and for that, I am eternally grateful to AA, my higher power, my sponsor and the 12 steps.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well, if you need to go to AA make sure your family understands that that concept. Simple as that.