Notices

On line and all types of Meetings

Old 11-04-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On line and all types of Meetings

Well with my last relapse last week which caused some major family relationship issues, I have decided that I should not just dislike something I have't tried (within reason of course)

I think I am ready to give aa a try because my way, which is SR, and is a great site by the way, doesn't seem to be working for me.

Has anyone tried on-line aa meetings? There are so many face to face ones to choose from and all seem different. Is women's only the way for an aa newbie or should a newcomer try a beginners meeting? Do not want a smokers meeting and I am all for a higher power but will it be like church?

Any advice would be appreciated because I was to start tomorrow on some road to recovery once and for all!!

Kim
Old 11-04-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Y'know I didn't want to go tonight...but I went and it was an incredible meeting.

No, AA is not like church. Always remember, it is a higher power "of your understanding." I love SR too and I'm glad to be here, but I do supplement on-line meeting/chats with face 2 face meetings. Yes, there are women's only meetings, there are newcomer meetings. My personal preference are Open Discussion meetings that include all genders and types, and everyone (usually) gets a chance to tell their story.

Call the local hotline in your area, tell them what you're looking for and they will direct you to the right meeting.

I'm sure Carol will be along with her wonderful link about what to expect at a meeting.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've gone to a lot of different meetings and it took me a while to find ones I was really comfortable at, so please don't assume that all meetings will feel the same if you find that you don't like the first one you attend. That said, at every meeting I have ever been to, the people in attendance have never been anything less than welcoming and supportive.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

For me, I have found that I need both AA and SR.

AA provides the framework for recovery - 12 steps, sponsor, someone to call in an emergency, an easy way to do 12 step volunteering with other alcoholics. I am only able to go to one to two meetings per week.

SR provides a wealth of knowledge, discussions, and insights. It allows me to work on my recovery wherever I am, for as long as I have. Since I travel sometimes for work, I can log in from a hotel and spend 30 minutes posting -- which is just me maintaining my sobriety and working on my recovery.

Both are great and work well together. (I actually recommended SR to my sponsor today and he is going to consider recommending it to many of his sponsees).

Don't give up on a face-to-face recovery method (AA or other program). Just keep searching until you find the right one.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is the link TB mentioned....

Your First AA Meeting<

For a start....I do think a Beginners Meeting is best.
Most will have members there who are experienced with
the AA program....thus able to lend support and knowledge.

I use both in person and SR for my recovery
been working great for me for years.

Glad you are going to try AA....it's been an awesome
adventure for me.....
Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When you are mentally wanting to quit it’s easy, but when you are hell bent nothing anyone says can stop you, Its easy when there are no cravings and its easy when “I” want to do it but the reaper always visits and then I can not care less about anything including health or non dinking history…

I am not going to any meetings, even if I wanted to I cant, I wake with calls I go to sleep with printing (I actually do better at night drinking, I get things done)…

I love drinking; well the first few… but the next few are good too but more sedative, half a beer left… just dizzy but in control, good night.

Repeat, repeat, repeat…

WantToLive you have to want to live, please try harder than I have tonight!!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

somethingBetter....

You must be exhausted with all the up and downs
Please look at what I suggested in the thread
"Under The Influence" after you posted there.

I certainly hope you will find your way
and you know it does not have to be with AA.
Please find something that works for you....
Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttolive View Post
Well with my last relapse last week which caused some major family relationship issues, I have decided that I should not just dislike something I have't tried (within reason of course)

I think I am ready to give aa a try because my way, which is SR, and is a great site by the way, doesn't seem to be working for me.

Has anyone tried on-line aa meetings? There are so many face to face ones to choose from and all seem different. Is women's only the way for an aa newbie or should a newcomer try a beginners meeting? Do not want a smokers meeting and I am all for a higher power but will it be like church?

Any advice would be appreciated because I was to start tomorrow on some road to recovery once and for all!!

Kim
My opinion is that you should only do online meetings when you can't make it to a real meeting. Women's only wouldn't be a bad way to start. I recommend trying a few different meetings. Shop around for the group that you think will do the best job helping you stay sober.

Be selfish in this respect.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't agree more with Caleb... please shop around, there are some great meetings out there, but i'll be honest some are just toxic... usually when you hear someone on here blast AA its because they have been to one of these groups...
Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. I am determined this time but I thought I was the other times too! I have been sober most of the time since Jan. but always go on these little binges even after the physical symptoms are long gone. So I need to add to my toolbox to quit and stay quit!

As some on here say what are you going to different this time. So I think a face to face approach try cannot hurt whether it be aa or one of the other programs.

Carol thanks so much for the link. It seems overwhelming when you are just starting to find a program so that will help!

Kim