Notices

Very Worried !

Old 10-31-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The delusion that someday everything would be fine and I would somehow enjoy my life in the suburbs with my wife and 2.2 kids kept me drinking. As long as I honestly believed this to be true I could drink all I wanted. I had visions of taking the kids to little league and swimming lessons and even taking the Cocker Spaniel to the groomer. The visions I had were atonishing
The difference between "Denial" and "Delusion is that we honestly believe the delusion. All of the things I had thought would happen didn't and I found myself alone. There was no wife and kids anymore. No house in the burbs, no baseball or little league no dog. There was nothing. The only thing I could call my own was this rediculous delusion that kept me drinking and thinking that things would be OK someday. I still had this fantasy life in my mind. Dammit, the voices kept calling me to them but I couldn't go because the alcohol was holding me back. Only an alcoholic could understand the chains that keep us from freedom and peace. Only after you finally realize what the problem is.
Truth is that you're not going to be fine someday. No this is not a bad dream.
I know this because you're hearing the same voices that we all hear and you're still chained up by the same thing that we were all shackled by.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i used to get itchy skin too, and my face used to feel like it was on fire, it had to be alcohol related as since stopping all those scary symptoms have gone, i stopped drinking in time before it killed me, i instictively knew my alcoholic career was coming to an end, and i was going to die soon if i didnt stop drinking, i pray you will stop too, sobriety does take effort but its better than dying of liver failure which is a horrible way to go.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've read the big book a billion times over & its done nothing at all!!
Did you miss this part?
The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death. We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.
We alcoholics are men and women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovers control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals usually brief were inevitably followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization. We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period we get worse, never better.
When I first went to AA I ended up in a BS meeting and there was no message to be carried, no sponsorship and no members with any valor. They did however hand me a book and told me that my story was in there somewhere. So I read the stories and tried to relate. Some I did, kind of, and some I didn't, kind of. My story was different. So I thought. I just didn't know my story was in the first 164 and not the stories in back. It took the right meeting and the right sponsorship and the right Fellowship before I understood.
So reading books doesn't make it easy, attending meetings doesn't make it easy either. Some golden words will never roll off someones tongue to alleviate your drinking and slinging slogans at each other doesn't work either.
Maybe scare tactics will work. Sorry, you can't scare the phenomonon of craving that the Doctor talks about and you can't reason with it either.
So let's just stare it down. Can't do that either. Alcoholism doesn't blink.
There you have it. You're on your own.
Of course God and a Fellowship of sober friends will always be there in AA when you're ready.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Waterface: 3 days is not enough time to get through the anxiety feeling. I only have 15 days, and I remember that it took about 5-7 days for me to be feeling good -- like in normal, sober good -- where I could exercise and eat normally. I know it is extremely hard. I credit this website a lot with helping me these past 2 weeks. I read of others experiences, like yours, and it keeps the memories fresh of how I felt the mornings after. Please try and give sobriety a few more days in a row. It might make the difference. In particular, if you are trying to start a great new relationship it might make all the difference in the world. My husband is not an alcoholic but does like his beer. He has stopped completely since I stopped. I really give him a lot of credit. He is one of those people that can drink "normally" but at the present time chooses not to to be supportive of me. If you get serious with this woman, I strongly suggest you be completely open about your issues. I am pretty sure she will react the same as my husband. All the best to you!!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi All

I had 4 days last week & am on day 2 this week. I get scared when i see things on tv about things happening & it does inspire me!

I know i drink now less than i did this time last year as my liver test & ultrasound came back bad then & yet now my liver function test has come back ok this time.
I guess when the word 'progressive' is spoke of, it means that in the long term it will get worse!

I am going to try to give it more days in a row!
I hate that when i get to day 4 i do feel better, but need to stop celebrating my days off with a beer & the mindset that 'hey, you can do it, you showed, have a beer'!

Yes, this person in my life i can't feel like the need to drink around! I want to not look forward to going to the pub after we meet!, like its a sordid secret!
Nobody has ever understood my anxiety/drinking issues, they have all come between a relationship, even when i stopped, anxiety messed things up. My ex would never stop drinking for me or have nights off.

Yes Pinkuda, some of that hits home, not all but some!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've read the big book a billion times over & its done nothing at all!! I even read it when slurping out of a jack daniels bottle
if i had a Bootle the last thing id wanna be anywhere near is a big book.
If i read my car manual and dont get my hands dirty guess what.......its still in a heap on the floor.

In that book is a suggested program of action....in the form of 12 steps.....
I'm not keen on catch phrases but i do like...if nothing happens..nothing happens..

i went to endless meetings...waiting to get beamed up into a world of chocolate and marshmallows.
that didn't happen............what did happen was i was approached by a guy that had recovered from alcoholism.

he became my sponsor.........and he enlightened me on the elephant in the room id missed.......a program of action in the form of 12 steps.

the key to my locked mind.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I like 'if nothing happens..nothing happens', like i need to keep this up through the stress!! to get somewhere!

Its feeling hard! Its day 4.
I'm argumentative, i feel like kicking the dog! I argued last night with my partner, just because i felt like it, like i was in self pity & wanted to push her as far as i could.. It was over nothing, i kept on & on fueling the argument!! & actually enjoying it!!

Is this what happens?

& yet after just 4 days, physically, i feel less flabby, less anxious to a degree, not sweaty or toxic & kind of euphoric!!
I know if i have a drink, i will be back to day 1 & feel ****!, i just hope the temptation of being in town after a productive day won't be too strong!
I have a cold which i want to get worse so i will want to go to be = no productive day = not want a drink!
Old 11-19-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

gravity wrote:
See, I knew that I needed to stop but I did not know how.
That is so true. I did want to stop, but I didn't know how!

As far as reading the big book more than once and still not getting anything out of it, that is not unusual.
I first read it the first weekend after I started AA. I skipped the entire first part and only read the stories, more or less for entertainment.
Then, I read the first part but absorbed very little. I also sat in meetings listening to pages being read from the BB and it went in one ear and out the other. Sometimes I didn't listen.
It wasn't until I started working the steps with a sponsor that I began to understand how to use the book. It is not so much a book in the usual sense, but more of a study guide; the way to use it is to delve into, quite deeply, often sentence by sentence, along with discussion and help from a sponsor or at special step meetings.
Now, I am starting to read it again, and it surprises me how much I missed.
Also, you might check out XA speakers, the website. There are lots and lots of speakers who cover the BB and the steps.

I would have to say you sound like me two years ago when I started thinking about quitting: I was mostly concerned about my physical health. When I did quit, started AA, and therapy, I realized my physical health was the least of my worries: my mental and emotional health was a mess. And I thought it was a mess because of alcohol. Now I realize I used alcohol to try and treat my emotional problems. There were and are still there, but I am learning what to do about them instead of using alcohol to "treat" the condition.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2 again, this week it will be of 5! I'm getting to the stage where i'm not enjoying my 2-3 days on & i can see them fizzling out!

I'm having to keep myself withdrawn from society because if i go into the city at this time of year, the xmas markets, meeting friends etc, its too much.

I get out of bed at midday, eat to try & fill me, then workout, then eat again, then go for run, then fail to sleep until 3am. Hating the world, moody, aggressive & bored!
I see my therapist psychoanalyst tomorrow, then i'm in the city. I know i can't drink as i need to lose weight for a sports demo on friday, but other days after that & my school reunion on Saturday, in town, in bars!!

I just hope the boredom of drinking my 2-3 days carries on & the sober time increases.
I drink far less now than i did last year, so thats good!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day 4 again & now i feel hammered! I so loved the 4 days i had! I felt claen & god, yet so craved my days Drinking, i so wish i didn't!
I feel so terrible now & i know last night at this time i wasn't drinking, i felt good!, so why do i feel so strong that i want a drink when i felt so good after 4 days without!
I'm so depressed now & can hardly focus to write & yet i drank to congratulate myself that i had 4 days off!
I feel like crying & just want so much to feel good & not want to congratulate myself when i feel good by not drinking for 3 days or 4!

Please help me!! I so crave drink when i have great days without, it grows & grows the longer it goes!!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The Ugly head of Alcoholism still has its teeth in me but I am trying to slowly back out. I am trying to taper off the beers and then jump. I am holding to my goals but not sure what will happen when I pull the plug for good. This morning at work was difficult, I felt very anxious and couldn't stop thinking about it. I woke up around 3 last night and never got back to sleep. Later, I felt a little better but I know I can't go cold turkey just yet as I may have a dangerous withdrawal. I have to hold on a few more days at a reduced rate and then try to pull the plug for good.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I actually feel pretty good right now, waiting to see how I will feel passing the next hour or two. The least cravings I have felt all day.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

For me getting sober and off drugs was a huge gesture of self-love to me and it just sort of came back to reward me this week in a big way. I would write out a list of things you like about your self and your life, print it out, put it somewhere you can see it everyday. It will serve as a reminder of what you could lose, or are losing, by drinking. You have the strength and willpower to stay sober, just believe in yourself!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Waterface, I agree with Clay. You have already shown the power to stop by taking days off. You simply need to take it to the next level. You can do it.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waterface View Post
I guess associating with like minded people is the score!, i have been to AA before, but i got nothing from it & went to the pub after!! I guess i felt like i'd had an hour or so with people, as in a good feeling & i rewarded myself with , oo' lets go for a beer!

I just feel so lonely in life & drink is all i have that makes me happy! I know all you say is right, i know i'll feel better if i stop in the long run, but i just don't know what to think!

As Joederis says, i know what life can be like without, i know the good i'd feel, the happiness of simple things & the lack of anxiety, but i i get drawn towards it all the time! I so want to be able to say no & have a good life abstinent! Is that a start?, i love my days sober, i get all the agitation & wish i could keep it up, i just fall back so easily! jeez!
The alcohol(ism) is what is making you so lonely. The addiction is wedged between you and everyone else. It convinces you that it is the solution to its own problem. Remove the alcohol and you will be able to connect to people more genuinely and things will improve.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I feel i have nothing to lose, thats the problem! I don't have anything apart from being alive! & nothing at the moment i can think of that i want more than getting wasted!
I know i think if i was told that i was seriously ill, i would stop! I'm just so easily stressed no matter how many times i see my analyst, no matter how long i go running for!
I've even been wanting to get away from a girl i been seeing in order to relax & drink!, but i don't feel relaxed, just more anxious, but i still do it!
Its such a vicious circle that i drink when i'm in a bad place, to numb myself from issues around me, to drinking when i feel happy & have had a successful day at my job or something!
The days off seem to drag & seem a lifetime, but the days on seem to go so fast!
Its getting harder & harder, the days off are shortening although i know i feel better the longer it gets!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I feel i have nothing to lose, thats the problem! I don't have anything apart from being alive! & nothing at the moment i can think of that i want more than getting wasted!
I know i think if i was told that i was seriously ill, i would stop! I'm just so easily stressed no matter how many times i see my analyst, no matter how long i go running for!
I've even been wanting to get away from a girl i been seeing in order to relax & drink!, but i don't feel relaxed, just more anxious, but i still do it!
Its such a vicious circle that i drink when i'm in a bad place, to numb myself from issues around me, to drinking when i feel happy & have had a successful day at my job or something!
The days off seem to drag & seem a lifetime, but the days on seem to go so fast!
Its getting harder & harder, the days off are shortening although i know i feel better the longer it gets!
Okay, you are seriously ill, and it will eventually kill you.

You have been seeing a girl, but all you can think about is getting wasted?
Waterface, you could lose your job, your girl, your life.
Do you not discuss your issues that you wish to numb with your analyst?
(okay, dumb question, does analyst mean psychiatrist?)
Have you told your analyst about your drinking to escape or celebrate?
I hope you get some help, no matter who, what, or where, but when is definitely now.
Please dont give 20 years of your life to drinking before you get help like i did.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

On Friday i went to the NHS walk in centre at my local hospital. I told the physician about my pain & that my doctor said it was anxiety, yet i have fatty liver.
The physician examined me, took a urine test for kidneys, examined me & said there was no swelling & was pleased that i had cut down to drinking only 3 days a week.
My liver isn't swollen & has a good shape to it, but i should take it easy, but it is the silly season & that most people including herself will be over indulging!
I was drinking everyday, now its 3-4 days off & she said that its good & things will improve!
I never get any withdrawl symptoms as i've read here, no shaking, vomiting, bed sweats etc, i just find it hard to sleep. I just feel better the days i go without but the craving for a drink increases but because of my craving & abstinence, i then reward!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I was drinking everyday, now its 3-4 days off & she said that its good & things will improve!
This is probably true if you're not an alcoholic. If you are, things usually don't improve. They get worse.

So, are you an alcoholic? If, when you honestly want to, do you find you can not quit drinking entirely? And entirely means entirely. Or, if when drinking, do you find you have little control over the amount you take?

I hear the frustration in your posts of feeling good with a few days not drinking, and then the remorse over rewarding yourself.

Is it possible that you are not rewarding yourself, but instead caught up in a mental obsession? That maybe you have no choice but to drink?

Is it possible that your otherwise rational mind is delusional when it comes to booze? That maybe the idea that you reward yourself is a lie? Just like I believed the lie that I drank because I was bored, or deserved it, or she made me mad, or I need to relax, or any number of hundreds of lies I believed at one time?

If you meet the criteria I posted for being an alcoholic, you may not be able to trust what your mind tells you about why you drink.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well they haven't gotten worse thats for sure!, this time last year i was heavy on the spirits & drinking daily! Now i'm just drinking 4 out of 7!
But, i find it impossible to give up totally, maybe i haven't reached that far yet!
But, i can moderate in a night! I can have a bottle of wine when at home & leave it at that, but when i'm in town, its a few pints in pubs then a few shots & wine at home. But i never drink until totally obliterated & always eat when i stop as cooking & drinking always go hand in hand!
The worst thing for me, is that i have put it before my girlfriend & use it to relieve stress of what life creates for me, whether it be from family, relationships or just lonely boredom.

Yes Keith, i feel i am caught up in a habit & mental obsession, like ok, its 5pm, i'm in town, so its pub time, sometime when i'm actually feeling ok & know i'd feel better without!, but i think, what the hell, escape for a few hours & a few pints will surely put me in the mood to carry on!

Yes, i think its all a lie that i'm rewarding myself, for what, a day doing something instead of sat on my ass!
I have always thought that i drink to anesthatise my lonelyness & boredom, yet when i'm busy, i find time to drink after i finished being busy! I'm stumped.
Today i was adamant i wouldn't drink, then i got angry with something, that i felt so low & thought what the heck & drank. I now feel terrible.