Notices

Working on the plan

Old 10-20-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jiva

Working on the plan

Dear brave friends.

Thank you all for the great information. I am going to stop drinking completely. I have read all of your suggestions on how to do so, especially to see my docter first. After doing research on DT's I think this is vital to anyone seriously considering quiting after years of heavy drinking. I will probably need to do the medical detox and that kind of scares me.
After detox I plan to jump right into AA and stay busy with my music and such. Any other suggestions to keep yourself busy that you have all had success with?

Thanks, wish me luck!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR jiva, I'm glad to hear you're putting together a plan and willing to give AA a try. It's also good to hear you're taking a safe approach to quitting, I wish you the best in your recovery.

Here's some great suggestions for staying active http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 10-20-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just some suggestions:
- Read the Book! It helps, it really does
- Take a walk with some headphones
- Make sure to get phone #'s at meetings
- Call another alcoholic every day
- If music's your passion, keep at it!

Good luck with everything!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exercise concurrent with your age and health level. I can't stress how much this helps me. Right around 8 when I usually started with the beer flow, I go for a run. Then a nice walk, then some weights. Before I know it its 930 and the night is almost over.

I know I am lucky having the energy and life habits (no children or wife) to do this. Fill in your own blanks...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hello again jiva.at first apart from throwing myself into AA i spent alot of time here at sr.i also rested and slept alot.i dont think i had slept properly in about 20 years so it was magic catching up on some zds and really resting for the first time.as the months have gone on i have become alot more active,i have a wee job that i love and i joined the gym a few weeks ago.i also do voluntary work for the red cross.love reading too.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
Congratulations on planning for a healthy sober future!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Welcome --
Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're going to find a big void in your life after you stop drinking. Just think of all the time you devoted to alcohol - buying, drinking, hiding, planning to buy, keeping track of how much you had on hand and all those other things devoted to serious drinking. Now the problem will be what do you do to fill those empty hours? I had a big problem with this initially as I was a solitary drinker who had no life to speak of, no hobbies, no interests, nothing to do but sit around. Fortunately I was seeing a therapist who forced me to get off my butt and get interested in things other than alcohol. I started raising Bonsais, got a Lorikeet, got involved more in AA and my home group activities, researched the hell out of alcoholism (but that's another story), remodeled my condo, and so on. Eventually it got to the point where I was short of time to do all those things that I wanted to do. So be patient and for now focus on your recovery. Look for things that interest you. Get some exercise (I forgot to add that I joined the Y). You'll eventually begin a new and more productive lifestyle. Just keep in mind that recovery come before all else.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know how you feel jiva. I'm at one month sober and the first week I was sure I was going to go crazy because I didn't understand how people pass the time when they don't drink. I've spent so much of my time drinking, buying, hiding, going to coinstar to get the funds for my next bottle (that's actually kinda funny to me now...), and then the several days it took to recover from my latest binge.

You'll be amazed at how much better it gets. This month, I got a new job, because previously I worked in restaurants and I knew I couldn't be around alcohol anymore. I finally started studying for the GRE for grad school that I've been too drunk/hungover to study for for the last 2 years, I joined a gym, read 6 books, and the list goes on...I've accomplished more in the last month than I have in the last 2 years of my life.

Congrats on your decision! Good call on going to the doc...I went through detox on my own at home 5 times, 2 of which landed me in the ER.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
aqua, thank you for sharing a good message about recovery, and congrats on your first month. Welcome to SR!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-22-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jiva

Saw my doc today

Thanks for all your great support.

A little update and good news. I saw my doc today and discussed my addiction with him. I was very intimidated at first and shaking incredibly due to mostly being nervous and anxiuos but I am sure booze was in the causes as well. He already new I was an alcoholic from blood tests in the past.
we discussed options. I expressed how I did not want to detox in the hospital as I am very busy. He confirmed the dangers that you all have on doing it at home.

Aqua thank you for your post, it gives me great hope.

So the plan is in a week when I have 4 days free from work and school that I will go into the hospital and he will arrange it so that I am not in the ER. Until then he suggests cutting back on consumption and eating very very well as that will help with the length that I am in there.

Thanks for all your support and I absolutly love this site. Finally folks that understand.

I want to quickly say that the advice from my docter is directed totally toward me and my situation based on blood work. In no way should any other person take this post as medical advice. everyone is different and should consult their own medical professional.

Thank you all again!

be well
Old 10-24-2009, 12:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Congratulations! Goodluck! And keep us posted jiva!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That's really the best way to go.......

Old 10-24-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jiva sounds like a great plan and you sound like you have a great Dr.

Astro's post links to a great thread. There's a gazillion things to do once you get sober, most of which we have ignored for way too long.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
In Repair

Best of everything! Good luck!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Heathen

Sounds like a great plan! Keep us posted on how you're doing
Old 10-24-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

welcome to Sr jiva and good luck!!! Let us know how things are goijng for you~~~
Old 06-04-2010, 03:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Jiva

Well bad news folks. I relapsed, sigh. Going to have to get detoxed again as last time I had seizures. THis sucks. I am so dissapointed in myself, but getting help again will prove well. At least I am on the right track again. My health is terrible I can feel it, I have to have at least 2 drinks just to not feel nausea, and I have been vomiting every day for the last 4 days, even when I drink. Sigh. Alcohol is one crazy drug. Do you guys that have been detoxed have opinions on whether to go to the ER or too one of the actual detox centers? Thanks for the support. With me luck.