Notices

Positive changes after you quit?

Old 10-15-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting back on my feet

Positive changes after you quit?

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words on my first post.

I wanted to ask your opinion on this. What kind of positive changes have you experienced since you quit? I know I'm going to probably go through weeks of anxiety and sleep issues as well as heavy bouts of depression, but when and how did you guys start feeling better?

I just can't wait to feel more motivated, have more energy, sleep better, and get my brain back to the clear level that it was before I was 17. Gosh I can't even remember how I felt before then because I have had drink off and on since then.

I want to quit and never look back!!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Better sleep than I've had in a long time.
Almost ZERO anxiety (I thought I had serious anxiety problems and that alcohol helped! LOL!! so backwards..)
I'm HAPPY with myself, and I live honestly.. it feels great.
No more hangovers
No alcohol related health, family or relationship problems.
I will never get a DUI, black out from drinking too much, wonder what I did the night before, or wake up in a strange place... again.
My life has meaning to me now, purpose... even when I do absolutely nothing, I know I'm living my best life I can.

Just a few..
Old 10-15-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
What kind of positive changes have you experienced since you quit?
I experienced a substantial lack of dying.

OK, seriously. Recovery, for me, is not about adding up a list of pros and cons about drinking or not drinking and deciding which one is better.

There are a ton of tangible changes. Physical (I stopped puking blood, blood pressure, cholesterol, liver factors normalized), the mental ones you mentioned, legal (never been arrested sober), financial. The list of tangibles is endless.

But there is change that goes way beyond the tangible. It's that 'thing' that happens with real recovery. It's that peacefullness and comfort, god-conciousness, serenity thing. It's the thing you didn't know you were missing until you have it. It's the thing that can't be experienced until you experience it. Words like 'reborn' start to make sense.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting back on my feet

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
OK, seriously. Recovery, for me, is not about adding up a list of pros and cons about drinking or not drinking and deciding which one is better.
For me, right now, recovery is about looking forward to the good things about being sober and using those things to combat my urge to want to escape into the bottom of a drink. I realized that I am drinking not mainly because I crave it or because I wake up shaking and wanting a beer. I was drinking to escape the problems in my life.

Escaping my problems only led to more.

I don't want to run anymore, I need to face them. Looking forward to the positive changes that are going to take place in my life is my main focus right now. I have only one way to go now and that is UP.

Thank you for your input.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dsc

You know it seems to me when I quit (or was about to quit) in times past, I would make up a list of pros & cons of drinking.

The only thing was my list was all cons except for one pro -- that temporary fleeting high.

But to answer your question a little better..

Benefits since quitting? Sleep better, sweat less, making better nutritional choices because when I was drinking I didn't care what I ate, slowly losing weight (could increase if I ate even better), getting more exercise and feeling better, lowering blood pressure, generally more optimistic and the most important one -- the feeling that I am not controlled by a liquid anymore..
Old 10-15-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would add only that the hardest thing to do is work to make some of those positives happen. I will agree that the anxiety drips away and the positive self worth increases but personally as a drunk I was letting life wash over me. Now I'm faced with both the greatest challenge and opportunity of my life. I need to work on developing good relationships and being a more positive person. What can you do today or tomorrow or the rest of this year to better yourself?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

- No Shakes can you imagine
- Get my stuff done on time
- Less anxiety
- No depression (yeah like the uncle tupelo song haha)
- Better Sleep
- No guilt
- No mental masochism the next morning
- Self Knowledge
- The feeling that I am doing what I am supposed to be
- Connection with my higher power.

Two life's in one lifetime... what could be better
Old 10-15-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

The pros & cons... I think being told to write up these lists wasn't good for me. Truth is, the pros keep winning, and death is on the con list. I don't mean theoretical death, I've come close a few times, and I'm a little young to know what it feels like when your body decides enough is enough.

Positive changes after I quit? General sense of well-being, but to be honest, you'd have to live through it to know what I mean. It doesn't sound as great as it felt, but it was probably the best feeling I've felt in years...

Haven't made much sober time, to be honest, although I keep trying, but that 'general sense of well-being' was more than enough to get me hooked...

I mean, you wake up being able to just brush your teeth & go (no hangover/ need for a shot), you can think more or less, and for some reason perhaps those with more time can say better, you just feel *happy* all the time--not necessarily for a reason. Bouncing along...

Can't beat that.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

WHEN i was sober for 2 weeks i was happy. truly happy, happy about the simple things in life like coming home to a loving mother and good dog and to be able to watch my fav NFL team etc. beer changes a lot of that for me. weekdays are cool i drink my 6 pack in the evenings but weekends are horrible drink about 18 beers per day then go to work monday......withdrawles sp? are beyong belief to a casual drinkers, i mean its bad in all the bad ways, i often dont make it on mondays but maybe a half a day
Old 10-15-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The first and foremost thing I noticed is that the dragon hangovers were gone. It's been all uphill ever since.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

What I like about sobriety is being able to experience what is real, the joys and sorrows, without being numb with alcohol. I like feeling totally alive and sobriety gives me that and more:
  • Autonomy
  • Awareness
  • Peacefulness
  • Rationality
  • Serenity
  • Simplicity

Just to name a few.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I quit drinking from this February.

Weight loss. I was by no means 'fat' but according to the body mass index (BMI) - which does not apply to everyone - I was slightly overweight. Aside from cutting out the empty calories from alcohol, quitting drinking also cut out additional bad habits such as eating crap fatty cuisine while boozing and helping myself to an extra meal by raiding the fridge when I came home.
Quitting also promoted good habits such as the critical extra energy to workout at least 2-3 times per week (instead of being too hungover).

I naturally lost a significant amount of body fat -maybe 9 kilograms right now? - , am now sporting a physique with a normal "BMI" and look & feel much better. People started making positive comments about 3 to 4 weeks into my quitting but I thought they were just being nice and trying to be supportive about my sobriety.

After maybe a good two or three months, and stepping out in front of a mirror and on the scales, I knew the comments were sincere. I look like my photos from over 12 years ago.

Gross stuff (you might not want to read it).

I used take for granted the morning "beer *****", "toxic gas" and other forms of gastro-intestinal distress caused by drinking the night before. And, honestly some of the connections never really sank in. I dreaded the day after eating Indian cuisine, but only after I quit drinking did I realize that for me, it was the combination of booze and Indian food that did not mix. Now I can enjoy a decent curry and worry no more than the next person about the morning after.

Those were just the two biggest simple physical changes. I have a much better relationship with my family - and naturally spend a lot more quality time with them. I don't have to deal with figuring out how to incorporate the receipts from bars I barely remember into my expense accounts. And, the morning after I attend social or business receptions or dinners, I'm not focused on trying to recollect partial memories of conversations or whether I might have gone too far and made a drunken ass of myself.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

My mind is clearer. Problems are less overwhelming, easier to deal with.
My self-esteem is higher. I like myself more.
Eyes are clear, bloat is gone. I look great!
Substantial monetary savings.
No more fear about people calling when I've been drinking.
No more anxiety, sleeplessness, hangovers.
No more paranoid arguments.
More time for enjoyable, productive, worthwhile activities.
Things get done.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I'm at peace. I truly am....l don't dwell on little things that used to drive me nuts so I'd have to drink all night to get over.

I look better! No more swollen, red face for me.

Yep, stomach issues are gone.

I think/hope I am a better friend....I'm thinking about things other than when I can start drinking....and getting mad if I had to wait past 5.

After about 16 months, sobriety is about 14 bazillion times better than I could have ever wished.

Good thread. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
BKP

I agree with everyone, I lost weight (over 15lbs) I work out 4 times a week when before i did it when i could, 2 times a week. I am really into being healthy and not worried about any health issues when i get sick before i thought i was dying because all the drinking could explode my liver any day and now over 9months sober it is healing. My better days are much better than my days i thought were great when i was drinking.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

1. Anxiety and depression have disappeared. I don't sweat the small stuff anymore.
2. Sleeping as well as I've ever done before. I also quit taking sleeping tablets 2 weeks into my sobriety.
3. I've put on weight but it's muscle as I'm able to work out more and better.
4. My sweat doesn't stink to high heaven.
5. I seem to be more approachable as strangers are making conversation with me.
6. Less angry
7. I feel proud and have greater self-esteem. Having control over my life and not being a drunk has given my a shot of confidence.
8. I am more efficient and have more time. More efficient as I work and play better and more time as my day doesn't end after my first drink. Tonight I will pick up my kids from their grandparents at 8:30. 70 days ago I could never have done that at this time on a Friday night.

And loads more intangibles. Things like health (who knows what I was doing to my body and my mind), being a better husband, father and person.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

1. Sleeping better.
2. Waking up feeling refreshed and thus more productive during the day.
3. No more anxiety.
4. No more paranoia.
5. No more wondering what I did the night before.
6. Clear thinking.
7. Better all-around mood
8. Saving money.
9. Enjoying life.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture
Old 10-16-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The biggest change is I have a will to live today.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Getting back on my feet

Thank you everyone for your responses. It does help me to know that I have a lot to look forward to. However gradual the changes are, I will be happy when they arrive.

So far I do have more anxiety and I find myself twiddling my thumbs when I would normally have a drink. Sleep is even harder now but I know that will even out.

I did not have to deal with sweats, shakes, headaches, stomach aches or any DTs which is great!!

Have a great day everyone
Old 10-16-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
mergirl

I used to think alcohol helped me sleep, but all of the sugars in it were really what kept me up til I was drunk enough to pass out. I started sleeping better almost immediately.

I am rebellious by nature and hate the thought of anything having power over me. I am in control of my own actions now, and that is everything to me.

I haven't felt this healthy in 22 years

I dont have to worry about if I have enough booze in the fridge for the night, or enough money in my wallet for my booze.

I love to be able to say "I am sober", because for me it is truly a better way of life.