Notices

Want to quit and need strength

Old 10-14-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting back on my feet

Want to quit and need strength

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post to say that I really ejnoy this website. I finally get to see the perspective of other people going through the same issue as me.

I started drinking at 17, I'm 25 now, and I have had my share of binges and hangovers. Normally I would drink almost every day and go to work feeling really bad, and even call in to work and risk getting in trouble. The weekends would consist of me drinking every night until I was drunk.

One of the reasons why it's easy for me to drink is because I don't get sick or stupid when I drink. A few weeks ago, however, I made a fool of myself in front of some friends when I could barely walk. I have been taking care of my mom over the last two years and that is hard and depressing by itself. I have had to leave jobs in order to take care of her and my drinking just got out of hand.

So right now I HAVE to quit or risk not even having money to pay my car payment and hold a good job. I need to be sober and I can't wait until I start feeling better. I have never gone through hard withdrawals, just anxiety and bad depression. When I don't drink it is really hard to sleep and I just don't know what to do with myself when 6 p.m. roles around.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like me (almost everything you have said), but I am 41, just cant seem to quit, (Just functional enough to not "HAVE" to quit) I really want to though, but as each day rolls by I keep saying "tomarrow"...

Do yourself a favor and quit now, it only gets harder as you age!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

You'll find lots of support and encouragement and strength here.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post to say that I really ejnoy this website. I finally get to see the perspective of other people going through the same issue as me.

I started drinking at 17, I'm 25 now, and I have had my share of binges and hangovers. Normally I would drink almost every day and go to work feeling really bad, and even call in to work and risk getting in trouble. The weekends would consist of me drinking every night until I was drunk.

One of the reasons why it's easy for me to drink is because I don't get sick or stupid when I drink. A few weeks ago, however, I made a fool of myself in front of some friends when I could barely walk. I have been taking care of my mom over the last two years and that is hard and depressing by itself. I have had to leave jobs in order to take care of her and my drinking just got out of hand.

So right now I HAVE to quit or risk not even having money to pay my car payment and hold a good job. I need to be sober and I can't wait until I start feeling better. I have never gone through hard withdrawals, just anxiety and bad depression. When I don't drink it is really hard to sleep and I just don't know what to do with myself when 6 p.m. roles around.
Man bro, I feel ya. I have been sober for 5 days then fall and then 3 days etc, right now I aint sober, but I like you are in the young 20's and have to take care of my mom, whom I love more than anything, she is so sweet and I wanna be sober for her. Being that we are alc's we suffer a whole lot when we come down, and sometimes it can get the best of us, and it has definatly affected my work habits... specially mondays (lol) if you ever need someone who can relate being young and having to take care of their mom, just holla we can work together, I got ya back
Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Anubis ....

SomethingBetter...

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
Good to see new members
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Anubis ....

SomethingBetter...

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
Good to see new members
sorry, my statement was a lil selfish, and it wasnt meant to be, but when i saw he was having to take care of his mom it got personal to me

no 1. person is greater than this board. I love the people and thank my hp everyday for yall people
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting back on my feet

Thanks everyone for your support, it means a lot to me. I just want to feel "normal" again and get back on my feet as soon as possible. I have brighter and better things waiting for me at the end of this dark tunnel that is called quitting.

Hey JusBCool, I thank you for your personal experience. One of the reasons why I'm here is to share mine and see others, the closer they are to mine the easier it is to understand and relate too. We all have this one thing in common, and we should all be here for eachother.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You have my full support and Hope everything works out for you. I'm on day 11 sober and still have anxiety and can't sleep,but I'm not drunk,so it's all worth it to me.

Stay strong & keep coming back

Ron