Notices

Having fun or relaxing without alcohol?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

finished drinking. like the posts I've read this far, the negatives outweigh the positives with drinking. when I've had 2 glasses of wine I wake up at 3am and can't get back to sleep. when I've had 2 martinis I am depressed and hungry for a whole day or two. I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to figure it out- but I am so done with alcohol. I've actually pushed good friends away who don't like to drink, thinking I can't be friends with someone who won't drink. I'm ready to be truly healthy for good. I'm ready to save money and feel truly well and good every single day.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I had to learn to adjust my 1 to 10 scale.
I can't expect to have that manic high when I'm having a good day, normal people don't act stupid like a little kid when they are happy like I did, nor do they drop suddenly into the pits of Hell when something goes wrong.
(Brings up a good question... what the heck does a normal person think/feel anyway ??
I have no idea......)

I had/have to moderate my expectations and reactions to everyday situations like the rest of society... and I don't do that naturally or normally.

One of the oldtimers said to me one morning at a meeting: "Yesterday I fell off a 22' ladder"
I said : "Oh my God, are you alright ??"
He said: "Yes, I am. I was only on the first rung."

I have to learn not to run all the way up & down the "ladders" that appear in my daily life.

Wishing everyone the best.

Bob R.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

LBW,

I'm having the same sort of problem right now. (Sober 5 days this time around)
Although I don't actually want to drink. I know exactly whats going to happen and how I'm going to embarass myself and hurt people around me. But once I give in I never stop until I black out, like you.

The longest Ive been sober was for 2 months last year... and I do remeber having much more fun doing the things I love. EVEN KARAOKE! But It's just a matter of feeling ready for somthing like that. I try not to go to any party or gathering if drinking is ALL thats happening. BUT if my friends are also playing guitar hero or bowling or whatever, then I'm into it.

Winter is also hard, because people want to stay in and drink, or go to the bar and drink. I'm planning on spending more time alone with movies and books until summer... when all my drinking friends will go on bike rides, beach trips and BBQ in the park. The summer is much better for my soberiety.

Hang in there!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Marathon runner (PB: 4.44h)

Hi everyone!

I quitted the booze a couple of years ago, along with tobacco. Recently I fooled

myself into thinking that it was a considerable time since those old, crazy days that

so much sorrow brought, and that it was perfectly safe to just stick to a couple of

beers, every now and then, something that I've completely failed to do. After that

gap I felt thrown again to my old demons of spending my nights in denial of my

reality, making up a new one out of booze, but it never really satisfies me and I end

up having those terrible hang-overs, plus the guilt of having spent so much money,

and the stab to my own back which means to betray one's principles.

I'm very happy to have come across this forum, as I've always had a firm belief that

happiness is possible, but only through acceptance of every moment and every aspect

of myself. I've been googling for this subject in the hope of finding some support

and a way to understand what's been happening to me during the last month or so.

And what's happening seems quite obvious, specially after reading your views on how

to live a life free of that most despicable addiction: I forgot how pleasurable is my

life, with its ordinary moments, with its loneliness, with whatever the universe is

bringing to my attention. Many thanks for reminding me, and for discussing this

subject with so much frankness and openess to other's views. I'll stick with you for

a while if you don't mind!

Sergi
Old 08-25-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR, Tute!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

I do hope you will continue to share with us
Many here are winning over alcohol useing a variety of things
Old 08-25-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am happy now that I do not drink!!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Marathon runner (PB: 4.44h)

Will I ever get tired of saying thanks to all of you? I doubt it! ! There's comfort in numbers, but not senseless, stupid numbers, but real people that know how to live with courage. You are such people, and there's nothing demeaning in your past experiences with alcohol or any other drug. I'm glad you're there, somewhere in America or wherever you may roam .

PD: I've posted my first entry in the blog today!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi LBW, last night was my first social outing sober (12 days in AA). it was an AA celebration and it was GREAT! Usually I avoid social events or get drunk or WANT to drink. Not this time. Being around people in AA has been really helpful. I feel like I'm learning how to be social and sober.