# 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

trapeze......Thanks for sharing
Congratulations on your 6 years ...
Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Verity,
I offer a suggestion that helped me in similar situations where drinking will be the highlight of the event. I fill myself with information to the toxic effects of the alcohol and the benefits that have occurred during my abstinence. Even though you may have read it all before, read again. Saturate yourself with it several days before the party. It's sort of like putting on armor before the battle. In life, you will not be able to run away from events sponsoring alcohol. I believe it is an unreal scenario to think you can just stay away. Preparation is imperative to commission the sober self to stay strong in the commitment. Of course, to stay out of the mouth of lions is always the safest path, but sometimes you cannot avoid situations. If we continually keep taking things out of our lives because we cannot drink, soon it takes a negative aspect, breeding contempt for the "sacrifices" we have to make. When it truth, we are freed by the choice of sobriety, and are giving up only the insignificant elements of drinking, to which we cannot control.
Knowledge is the best line of defense against losing our resolve. My best to you.

Padraic
Old 10-12-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Verity, one more idea. Do you keep a journal? You might see the progress you are making if you write things down with complete honesty. Then, you will see if you are moving forward, stuck, or starting the dangerous backslide. I started journaling this year, and boy, did I see patterns in my own behavior that I missed in living it day to day.

I have to admit that I now get reassurance from going to places where people drink, like bars and parties. Seeing other people act stupid reminds me what a doofus I was when I drank. I'm grateful for that club soda with lime, then I get bored and leave early. Normal drinkers don't care when I leave and drunks lose track of time and don't remember. One thing sobriety taught me is that most people aren't paying as much attention to me as I thought. Go figure.

Oh, and about that party next week? Either have a strategy on how to deal with it or don't go.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Thank you all once again for your understanding and advice. I went back to my meetings this week and intend to keep going. I was welcomed back with open arms. I just hope that I can someday be strong enough to help someone else going through this.

I still feel very low. Crying a lot and not very productive at home or work. I suppose this is just part and parcel of getting sober and confronting my addictions. I just wish I knew how and when I will feel better.