# 1 (permalink)  
jimbo

DR zoidbergs first step

after my mixed blood test results

i have joined a gym

a month went by and i never had the nerve to go

but yesterday i braved it

i spent a short time on the bike and missed the weights

my 20 year old daughter was with me and to be honest it was her keeping on at me that made me go

i got through the bike ride ok

then hit the jaquzzi and steam room

i looked in the mirror in the changing room and i looked just like dr ziodberg off of futurama DOH

has any one got any do's and dont's for a 250 pound 18 and a half stone 118 kilo's unfit guy that has been told to work out but take it easy by his doctor ..oh and this guy is nearly 50

YouTube - Zoidberg: Ink pouch
Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe start out with low impact things that don't stress your knees, ankles and feet and equipment that doesn't strain your back. Things like ex-bike. I would gradually work up to the treadmill and anything high impact.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

The eliptical wont kill ya..and wont jar those ol bones... lol!! jk.

good for you!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

Walking is a very good start. Don't forget some mild stretching. Good luck. You will feel so much better!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lots of stretching. Stretch, stretch....

OK the best one is the one you like, because that's the one you'll do!! I'm serious. Make this as fun as you possibly can, so you'll look forward to it.... Rather than needing someone to keep you at it... Someone would have to keep you from it.... Once you get a little fitness going, you'll enjoy the other stuff too.

Do you have an MP3 player or iPod. Myself, when I'm on a stationary bike (my trainer) I absolutely love to play my iPod... It's a great natural high.

Oh yea... get a haircut

Mark
Old 10-09-2009, 11:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
The eliptical wont kill ya..and wont jar those ol bones... lol!! jk.

good for you!

i dont even look at pretty women any more in case i crick my neck

thanks first laugh of my day lmfao
Old 10-09-2009, 11:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Lots of stretching. Stretch, stretch....

OK the best one is the one you like, because that's the one you'll do!! I'm serious. Make this as fun as you possibly can, so you'll look forward to it.... Rather than needing someone to keep you at it... Someone would have to keep you from it.... Once you get a little fitness going, you'll enjoy the other stuff too.

Do you have an MP3 player or iPod. Myself, when I'm on a stationary bike (my trainer) I absolutely love to play my iPod... It's a great natural high.

Oh yea... get a haircut

Mark
thanks second laugh of my day great ziodberg photo

i dont have hair cuts now days i get waxed :
Old 10-10-2009, 02:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good thread hehe

The most important thing is to get a calorie controlled diet together, there are lots of ways to do this and plenty of information on the net. If you burn off more calories than you consume in a day you will start burning fat. You need to burn off 3500 calories to lose 1 pound of weight, so if you eat x calories (look up your height, weight etc for your approx calorie burn with no exrecise) and burn off normally those x calories and then do 5 sessions at the gym buring 700 calories a time (one hour on the treadmill fast walking with slight incline will do this and will be less stress on the joints) this will add up to 3500 and you will lose 1 pound of weight a week, probably more if you have just started.

The second thing to bear in mind is to stay is to exercise for fat burning and not for cardio, this means that you should be exercising between 65% and 80% (max) of your maximum heartrate for your age etc (google it). If you, for example keep your heart rate (for a 40 yr old) at 135 ish then the body will brun off approx 85% fat when it looks for fuel whereas if you do cardio, higher heart rate, the body will only use approx 50% fat when looking for fuel.

Hope that helps, easy does it, keep it interesting and dont strain yourself:-)

ps these are absolute medical facts so i hope this doesn't turn into a dumbass debate like most thread do lol
Old 10-10-2009, 03:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hypercube

Yeah, don't avoid the weight room. Your gym should have qualified instructors who can show you two basic workouts using weights. I say two, because you might find it easier to split between legs and arms/torso on different days.

I primarily exercise for fitness and health, weight loss is a nice side effect.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yay! exercise is fab , i find its quite addictive, (DOH not ANOTHER addiction)
trying to get the OH to join me though as he now seems to resemble Homer Simpson,
keep up the good work Jim
Old 10-10-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

DEFINITELY STRETCH!!!! I paid a big price last week by skipping that.

DEFINITELY WARM UP! You cannot go full-throttle when you walk through the door. Spend some time at warming up. I promise your workout will be more fulfilling and less tedious with a proper warmup. I need at least 1/2 hour for mine and I don't care if I dog it... I know when my warmup is effective... its like a switch.

Don't expect quick results!!! It took you a million years to feel better in sobriety... it may take as long to feel GREAT with exercise. Be patient and work, there are NO QUICK FIXES in our lives anymore. We work for greatness!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rockstar

I couldn't agree more with C49999. Warm up before exercise, believe me it spares a lot of pain lol
Good for you I find long walks a good way to begin
Old 10-11-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It might be helpful to think about what you want to accomplish, like if you just want to try to be consistent at the gym, maybe do 30 to 45 minutes of cardio anything that you like and that you will do three or four times a week.

then after a while if you want to do some upper body work or some lower body work either hire a trainer to set you up with a few routines you can do for several months, or you could just pick a few weight machines and do those for a while.

I think the most important thing is to find something that suits you and that you will do. everyone is different. I personally know I should stretch when I work out but I find it boring and I don't make time. I know I will probably regret it someday with an injury but thats just where I am at.

hope it helps, and good job for hitting the gym
julie