Notices

scared

Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared

I was wondering if anyone can relate to a certain problem i am having...i know i am young, allmost 40, but i was wondering if anyone else have noticed after quitting, or even still drinking has any short term memory loss? i used to joke about that i would'nt mind having alsheimers when i get old, becuase then i wouldnt have to thing about any problems, etc... but now that i actually believe that i may be in the early stages of dimmentia, it is very frustrating, and miserable, and my husband gets SO frustrated with me because i cant remember something he may have told me yesterday, or, i ask the same questions over and over, and recently even conversations from hours earlier, it seems to be getting worse by the day. can anyone relate?for someone especially as young as i am? my father died at 62 with severe dimmentia/alshiemers, and was way worse years before that, he did alot of drinking, so my mom says that had alot to do with it, i dont know?
any help?
ty
Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Not sure if you're still taking other medication, but you might check side effects of those.. and of course see a doctor. Dementia is a frightening thing, I used to work with folks with Alzheimers, who had not only forgotten a lot of every day things, but also how to care for themselves and feed themselves. I don't know that you'd really like to wish it on yourself at any point!

There is a condition called Alcohol Dementia as well. .. from what I know sometimes effects can be permanent.

I know there's lots of research going into medications and treatments for dementia, it can be a horrible thing.

I hope you see a doctor to discuss what might be the cause of it.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

CLMF,

I DO relate! I've noticed with periods of complete abstinance it's better but not fully functioning.

My belief due to research, is the longer we've been using & abusing the more long term damage we do to ourselves and memory (lack of) is one the most obvious and widely experienced by alcoholics.

I don't know your story with how much and/or how long you've been drinking, however, due to the genetics in your family and your drinking career I'd say there's some definite memory loss there. The good news.... there are herbal supplements you can take to help with not losing more memory rapidly. I will send you a msg including these as I just got the information after seeing my adopted Dad's doctor regarding this same issue. Exercising the brain by not watching a lot of useless TV, reading, word puzzles, conversation, game quizs/shows.... can help with brain activity and memory.... so I've been told.

I'm glad you posted this and hope to help you further with more info soon!

All my best to you!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I actually made an app. with my regular dr. i have my app. on the 13th... dont really know what will come of it, if he will refer me to another kind of dr. or ? i just dont want to be laughed at, i know its pretty rare for someone of my age to begin dementia, but it just cant be "normal" the way my mind works, or doesnt work, i should say lol at my age ~
Old 10-09-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

oh also, i have been drinking since i was 14, not totally constant, but pretty heavily, i would say...binge drinker through high school, very regualarly in my 20's and early 30's now 37 and have 18 months under my belt its really not easy, i struggle every day, and people say "it gets easier as time goes by" and that gave me hope... until i went to a meeting on one occasion, and this older lady said that she was 22yrs sober and she was still struggling...sooo... i am really scared to feel like this forever. sometimes i feel like maybe i should just drink again, but i know if i did, i would lose my family
Old 10-09-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Omega 3-6-9 supplement has helped me with memory.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi everyone.....
Please do remember when sharing...
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician
I know this thread is not about de tox however our SR
guidelines need to be respected
Thank you
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

crzylilmndfreak.....
I'm really glad you will be having a professional opinion
about your concerns.

Please don't let one old lady who shared about her
struggles continuing as a base for comparison.

I'm an old lady with 20+ years of recovery
and that is not my experience at all...

All my best ....
Old 10-09-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ive posted before about my memory or lack of it.

some days are worse than others.....depends how much i try to cram between in ears..

i generally keep a pad in my pocket when working...or normally go home with stuff written on my hand......lol.

a lifetime of drinking takes it toll i guess but we ain't getting any younger either..

check it out with the doc if it worsens.......and you can buy gadgets to exercise the memory....i got one........but Ive forgotten what its called