Notices

Putting on weight after quitting

Old 10-06-2009, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Putting on weight after quitting

Today is day 53 for me since I had my last drink. In those 53 days I have put on 15 kg or 33 pounds (2st 5lb) in weight. I can't stop eating. My appetite has gone mental. I'm even eating a packet of crisps as I type this. I know the answer is to eat sensibly and exercise more, which I intend to do (starting tomorrow), but I've turned into a human dustbin. I'm a little alarmed by this turn of events. I've even had to buy bigger trousers.

When I was stopping drinking I told the doctor I hadn't been eating properly. She said that that was because I was getting most of my calories from alcohol. My blood test showed low B12 vitamin results too, so she put me on a vitamin supplement. (My blood test was a disaster all round really. She actually looked a bit surprised and said "you must have been drinking a colossal quantity!" )

My girlfriend told me that when I quit I looked like a corpse. I'm 6 foot 2 and weighed just under 85 kg. Not really corpse-like but I am a fairly hefty build. Now I'm pushing the big 100kg.

The question is: did anything like this happen to any of you? I've read quite a few accounts of people getting into shape and joining gyms and running marathons and entering the Olympics after quitting, but can't remember anyone saying they've turned into a lard-arse who can't stop thinking about food. I mean, it is still rather a novelty for me. My girlfriend used to get sick of taking away plates of food I'd hardly touched. Now I lick them clean.

Is this unusual?

Bananaman.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lets see, 100 kg... 220 lbs? Not horrible for 6'2" (so you guys use the metric system for weight only? )... I'm 6'2" and was 220 once... It's not hard... I got down to the 170's to about 183 by bicycling...

Maybe eat more bananas? lol ....

No, it's not unusual at all. Congrats on your 53 days...

Mark
Old 10-06-2009, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bananaman!!

I have lost some weight over the last two months, but not as much as I would like to.

I have noticed an incredible sweet tooth. I binge on ice cream and cookies. I guess it is replacing the sugar I once got from alcohol.

Maybe your body was not getting all the nutrients it needed and now it is in overdrive? I wouldn't worry. Throw in some exercise and fruits and veggies and you should be fine.

Congrats on your progress!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did the same once, stopped drinking for 6 months and put on lots of weight...this time im down the gym, eating well etc...

Mark i am jealous!!!!!!!!!!! Im 6'2" and 210 lbs...grrrrrrrr!!!!!

Whats that word...oh yeah...patience and it's good friend consistency will get me down to the 185 i want;-)
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was drinking daily I was over 230lbs (105kgs), which is pretty huge for 6' 0". I put it down mainly to the food - hot pastries for breakfast, huge cooked lunches with a couple of pints, and then crappy food for tea followed by booze and high-fat cheese all evening.

Now I'm into bodybuilding (my new addiction *hmmm*) I'm back down in the 185-195 range and can limit to 1600-2000cals a day most days. If I go on a three or four day bender I'll look like I've put on at least 10lbs due to a bit of weight gain and massive bloating, which I detest and is enough to get me sober again.

I do wonder if one of the keys to totally getting over drinking addiction is to transfer it to a healthy addiction, at least for individuals who are genetically addictive to stuff. For me working out is the only way I can sustainably get my self-esteem back up.

It's worth giving it a try. Set yourself aims like 10lbs then 20lbs, and treat yourself when you make it (ie an expensive meal thats not too calorific, or a huge steak).
Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
During my early sober months I was following an eating
plan for hypoglycemia....walking a lot ...taking a multi-vitamin + B Complex

I think those actions benefited my mental and physical healing.

Well done on your 53 days.....
Old 10-06-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yah congrats on your great improvement... i guess if you continue stop drinking alcoholic drinks you will be able to loose more weight because i know lots of people who became fat and stout because of drinking alcoholic drinks... congrats again and keep up the good work...
Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit smoking at the same time so I haven't lost any weight.

I was hoping I would! I have had a alot of chocolate at night. I think if I cut the chocolate out I will lose weight.

I'd like to lose around 10 pounds. I think if I cut the chocolate out I could. I have always been an avid gym person even when drinking.

Anyhow, I have 109 days sober. I am doing one thing at a time and feel I have needed that chocolate up to this point. I'm going to limit my sugar intake next.

One thing at a time....right?

Alcohol....then cigarettes....then chocolate.

2 down....one more to go.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your not alone with putting on a few lbs.I've definitely put on a few/10 lbs since I stopped. I've kind of replaced it with some comfort food I guess you could say. Gotta lay off the pringles and junk food and get back to going for walks again each day.

Steve
Old 10-06-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Since quitting my new addicion has been chocolate/sweets and filling up on food. Alcoholic drinks have or are converted into a ton of sugar so your body wants all of those calories back.

I have just recently started to reduce the sugars & to watch my food/calorie intake. One of the things that has started to help me was to think of my calorie intake as "Fuel" not just as a meal/food.

We have a choice of what fuel we put into our bodies & how much of it. Why give yourself crappy fuel? Not to say I wont be having some squares of chocolate etc. just not the entire bar (large size).

Its tough but you can do it, get out & go for some walks. Try some of the old active activities that you use to enjoy or try some new ones. You are saving quite a but of $$ not spending it on drinking, reinvest in yourself with some fun healthy activities. You deserve it!

Take Care,

NB
Old 10-06-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mergirl

I eat ALLLLLL day. If I am not eating, I am thinking about food. If I am not craving food, I am too full to walk=)

Progress not perfection.

nom nom nom
Old 10-06-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes I definitely put on weight. When you'd rather drink than eat in the evening, and you are too hung over to consider eating in the morning, you can keep the weight down.

On a positive note, I'll never be arrested for "driving while fat".
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mergirl

I have lots of fun finding healthy delicious alternatives=) Right now I am drinking a hot vanilla latte made from caffeine free, sugar free cappuccino mix and fat free milk, MmMM
Old 10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

During my years of drinking my Jekyll and Hyde character allowed me to work out pretty hard 5 or 6 times a week. I'm now on day 60 and am still working out but I have also put on weight. I'm 182 cm and about 81kg. When I was drinking I was about 75kg. My weight goes to my lower stomach and love handles.

Sure I have more muscle and am less flabby but I have developed an insatiable appetite. I'm trying to counter this by changing some of my eating habits. In fact I'm just back from the supermarket where I bought raisins, almonds and sweet potatoes. I have a sweet tooth and raisins are about the only natural thing that satisfies it. Almonds despite the calories are better to nibble on than crisps/pringles. As for sweet potatoes, I've just discovered them. They are apparently the best vegetable overall. They also fill me up. If I'm hungry during the day then a small sweet potato does the business.

I used to really binge drink on a Saturday and now I binge eat junk food on a Saturday. This Saturday ritual is one pleasure I'm not going to give up just yet.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I put on some weight at first. I have been trying to lose it, but I havn't been trying very hard. I just went past 6 months sober, and I just joined a gym about a month ago. After I leave the gym I am starving. I think my beer belly is slowly going away, and I'm slowly getting back in shape. I'm a gazillion times better off than when I was drinking.
Fred
Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
catch-22

mmm... I'm a fat *******... I also stopped smoking nearly 6 months ago and I put on some weight... I'm only 1.77 m and I weigh 93 kg! Time to do something about it! And yes, I'm always hungry...
Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post Bananaman. I'm at a bit over two months and you summed me up exactly. Silly me, I actually thought at first that not drinking would cause me to LOSE weight. *sigh*

I have managed to reign in the sweets somewhat with diet ginger ale, of all things. Something about the spicy/sweet tang of it is really sastifying to me. I've also stopped giving myself food as a "treat" as I did in the very beginning, (I am so good for not drinking, I deserve gelato! Brownies at a meeting means my HP wants me to have them!) and starting thinking instead of what a reward it would be to be sober AND fit. For me, learning to delay gratification and get away from the "I want it now" mentality is a big part of recovery.

I know for some this may not seem like such a big issue, but my weight is really getting me down. I am trying to find a job and put my life back together and all my professional attire is too small now. Some days working my program just means dragging myself out of bed, showering, convincing myself no one at my meeting cares what I'm wearing or how I look in it. I am blessed to have access to a gym, but when I work out there is simply nothing there, energy-wise to draw on.

Carol, could you provide any links/book titles for the type of eating plan you followed? I am really struggling with low energy and think it may be helpful.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I lost weight. Lots of it. Like 50 pounds.

In the beginning I ate more (out of boredom I'm sure) and drank lots of soda, but then as my sobriety grew in length, I wanted to keep improving and see just how good I could get my overall fitness and sense of general well being so I improved my diet dramatically, and began working out.

The results have been amazing for me.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ninsuna View Post
Brownies at a meeting means my HP wants me to have them!)
This made me laugh in a good way though :wink

I recently found some great forums & information on the mens health magazine website (google it) I would post a link but I always seem to break one site rule or another when I do lol

PM me if you would like links etc,

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ninsuna.....
Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum.

The eating plan I followed is in the book that convinced
me to finally quit drinking. Amazon usually carries
:Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham.

You can also Google for info and eating plans for hypoglycemia
Checking with your doctor first is also a wise idea.

Glad you are here with us....