Notices

Afraid

Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Afraid

Im Afraid...
I have failed again, my 3rd time...why does it seem so impossible for me to look at my life without alcohol...

I know i need to stop again but im so afraid, i get so agitated and itchy, i want to do it on my own i wont go to a centre again because it takes me away from my husband and daughter.. i need to do this myself no one else can help me...why am i so scared...
Old 09-30-2009, 12:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Change is usually scary at first. I was afraid too--cause I drank for a long time. It was all I knew. I lost myself somewhere along the way....my addiction spiraled out of control. There is a way out. GLad you are here. You don't have to go through this alone. We do recover. Welcome to SR!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dinkee

Welcome to SR.

I don't believe anyone does this alone.
One of the first things I learned I had to do to get better was reach out.

My life was miserable - I got to the stage I was willing to do anything to get out of that misery. Sometimes getting better involves tough choices but ultimately, once we deal with the fear - of change, of commitment, of the unknown - that we all have, it gets better.

Anythings better than what you have now right?

SR helped to realise what I had to do. I hope it can do the same for you too.
You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here. You're not alone

D
Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you are probably suffering from alcoholism, which means, when you stop, after a while you will feel worse, not better. i tryed on my own for years to stay stopped and could only ever manage a few months. i would suggest that you go to AA where you will find people like yourself. it was by far the best thing i have ever done. its been two years now and life has got a whole lot better. as for being scared ! sometimes the fear of change is worse than the actual change its self.

come to AA and you never have to be on your own again.

god bless you on your journey.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome to SR Facing your fears is tough but so liberating when you finally overcome them. The first few steps are daunting but as you get used to them you WILL be fine
Old 09-30-2009, 04:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

An honest talk with your doctor about wanting to stop drinking might be helpful. Doctors sometimes prescribe a few anti anxiety meds to get you thru the first few days of withdrawal without feeling so 'agitated'. Give your doctor a call. Detox safely. You can do it.:ghug3
Old 09-30-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by tricky164 View Post
you are probably suffering from alcoholism, which means, when you stop, after a while you will feel worse, not better. i tryed on my own for years to stay stopped and could only ever manage a few months. i would suggest that you go to AA where you will find people like yourself. it was by far the best thing i have ever done. its been two years now and life has got a whole lot better. as for being scared ! sometimes the fear of change is worse than the actual change its self.

come to AA and you never have to be on your own again.

god bless you on your journey.
I'd like to reiterate all of that.

Meet some AA people, they can help you.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dinkee View Post
Im Afraid...
I have failed again, my 3rd time...why does it seem so impossible for me to look at my life without alcohol...

I know i need to stop again but im so afraid, i get so agitated and itchy, i want to do it on my own i wont go to a centre again because it takes me away from my husband and daughter.. i need to do this myself no one else can help me...why am i so scared...
i wrongly believed there was other underlying problems other than my drinking.
because i wasnt drinking and the s....t really did hit the fan.
Drinking soon became the solution again to shut my head up..
all theses problems you talked about and more became unbearable.....to the point where i wondered whether it would be easier to end it.....permanent.

i reach a mental jumping off point and ...yes i truly wished for the end.
grinding my teeth ....agitated and volitile.....a wife at her wits end and
"jeeez maybe its better he drinks"....

maybe my problem centres in my mind........i only knew that when i stopped drinking...
i was inches away from going to the doctor and gladly excepting the medication they wanted to prescribe me......to put my world into a permanent haze......round it off a bit.....

i stepped into AA .....looking for whatever those smug happy idiots had to offer.....maybe they took the medication i was still contemplating.
one off those smug happy guru idiots ....told me he knew how i felt...
yeah yeah...i bet you do......."just get to the god sermon and get it over with."........arrogant rude little idiot i was..

but i was finished.......i couldn't do sober again and i knew it.
i opened the big book and started reading........and within a few short pages i see it.......ME...
Unable to cope without a drink.......
"they are restless,irritable and discontented,unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes AT ONCE by taking a few drinks"
id like to add......and some.

so how do i get to the ease and comfort without alcohol?......
how do i get from this to the place where those happy smug gurus are?
By doing what they do........by doing what my sponsor did.........by doing what the steps suggest me to do........
all i needed was a bit of openmindedness.......some courage.

i did that......and do that.........and my life has become something i never dreamed it would be.......
at last i smile and laugh without a drink.......just like the smug lot...lol.
and the problem has been removed.

thats what happened and what i did to stop feeling like you when i didn't have a drink.

god bless you for reminding me.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum

While some of us did go to a treatment center
many of us did not. I did not....and I've been
happily sober for years......

The difference for me is that I did not do it alone.
I use God ...my local AA and SR
There are all kinds of ways to stop drinking.

Pleease don't give up on yourself.
Yes! you can quit and stay quit.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

i want to do it on my own i wont go to a centre again because it takes me away from my husband and daughter.
Doesn't drinking take you away from your husband and daughter? In a different way, of course... but after you achieve sobriety I think you will find your family time enriched by tenfold.

I tried many times on my own and "failed"... Don't be too hard on yourself. I did find when I finally tried what was suggested by SUCCESSFUL people here- - that I could do it! It took someone pointing out that "my way" wasn't working too well... And AA is, in fact, changing my life and my outlook daily.

Stick around... I'm glad you're here. We're here for you- - and you can do this. Maybe not alone. But you can do this.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

lots of helpful people here. good luck