Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I go to rehab Wed or Thurs. scared & don't know what to expect

Notices

I go to rehab Wed or Thurs. scared & don't know what to expect

Old 09-29-2009, 02:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I go to rehab Wed or Thurs. scared & don't know what to expect

I've been drinking off and on (more on than off) since I was 12....I'm 49 now....I've been sick to my stomach every day this week waiting to go ....I cannot think of anything else (even when I'm drinking my wine and taking ativan). Will they give me something for nausea? What will I have to do when going through detox? Can I just sleep? Do I have to go to meetings? They won't give me info until I get there. I should be asleep right now. The longer I wait the more paranoid I become.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi Mel, just take a deep breath and relax. I remember when I was going, I was petrified, but I was also in hospital being brought directly there and thinking I was going to some kind of asylum, lol. Its all the alcohol and drugs that play games with your head.

For me rehab was actually a really good experience. They will treat whatever needs to be treated there. There were alot of meetings, not just AA meetings, but one on ones with counselors, with the people in the rehab, alot of soul searching. It really was a good experience for me. I got to finally take care of me without all the outside stuff. I know this sounds crazy but I wanted to stay longer. For me, rehab was the best thing that happened and started me on my road to recovery. Good luck, please post when you get back.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mel

I went in July. It was much easier than I thought it would be. I was given whatever I needed to sleep, Valium was on offer and other sedatives if need be. I was also give B12 shots which helped a lot with withdrawal. But amazingly I did not have much withdrawal sumptoms at all. It varies from individual to individual.

I also made friends really quickly because we all shared something in common even though it was for alcohol, drugs and other mental illnesses all in together.

They will expect you to go to meetings, and will not just let you sleep although if you are ill naturally they will.

My experience was overall positive.

I hope this helps you
Old 09-29-2009, 03:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't worry.
They will take good care off you.
Good that you are doing it !
Be strong !
Old 09-29-2009, 03:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mel

I was thinking about your situation some more and it seems to me that you consider drying out the reason to go to rehab. But no doubt you would have gathered from reading posts here that it is about much more than that. If drying out was all that was needed then we would not be here. It is the whole of us that makes us alcoholics.

Rehab is about realising that and it is about recovery not just being a dry drunk. That is why meetings are necessary. Help is all around you. But you have to seek it out.

Rehab is just the first step. Take hold of it and get as much as you can out of it. You will not regret it even though you feel mightily apprehensive at the moment.

By the way love the pallindromic name.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Detox is usually what they do with you when you first come. Evaluate your physical condition and treat you with meds for anxiety and/or anti-seizure meds. Rehab is what happens after you're detoxed. It learning a new way of living, solving problems, getting along in the world without using alcohol. There will be lots of meetings, both AA and other types, like assemblies to watch a short movie or slide show about the dangers of alcohol and the effects of drinking.

Go there with an open mind, willing to listen, follow instructions, and learn how to live a clean and sober life. Good luck to you!:ghug3
Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Mel

I was in rehab a year ago. I'm 52. Was it easy? NO... Was it do-able? YES...

The unknown is scary... But you want to quit, right? You are lucky, be grateful if you can, that you have this opportunity, not everyone does.

Hang in there, you'll be fine!

Mark
Old 09-29-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Rehab for me was an amazing and growing experience.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

There's no safer place in the world for an alcoholic than rehab.

I've been to rehab 3 times. Never was expected to do anything during detox. Last time I think I didn't even leave my room for 2 days. Rehabs can be different though. Just my experience...
Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Weirdly enough, rehab was in many ways a great experience for me. There is a real camaraderie and you meet people from all different kind of backgrounds who you can interact with i deep way.

I went to Renaissance Institute and there were no slide shows or lectures about the danger of addiction as I gather is common in other rehabs. It was intensive psychotherapy, so you learn a lot about yourself.

I do not know if you spend time with other alcoholics and addicts now, but if not what you hear there from the other clients is eyeopening.

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum.....

For me to quit drinking....I needed to take action
and make changes. Seems as tho you are
willing to do both.

Good for you...
Old 09-29-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

Awesome! I'm going in for my assessment Friday. My detox wasn't that bad, but you'll have professionals there to help you. They want you to be comfortable.

Just imagine, we're on our way! We don't know just what to expect, but with an open mind and positive attitude these can be incredibly great days the first steps in a sober life, learning to deal with issues that have plagued us for years.

CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone so much for the encouraging words!!! In the light of day it doesn't seem so hopeless.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I went to Renaissance Institute and there were no slide shows or lectures about the danger of addiction as I gather is common in other rehabs. It was intensive psychotherapy, so you learn a lot about yourself.
Same with the rehab I went to, no slide shows or lectures, just alot of soul searching among all there.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sickofthewaste View Post
Mel

I was thinking about your situation some more and it seems to me that you consider drying out the reason to go to rehab. But no doubt you would have gathered from reading posts here that it is about much more than that. If drying out was all that was needed then we would not be here. It is the whole of us that makes us alcoholics.

Rehab is about realising that and it is about recovery not just being a dry drunk. That is why meetings are necessary. Help is all around you. But you have to seek it out.

Rehab is just the first step. Take hold of it and get as much as you can out of it. You will not regret it even though you feel mightily apprehensive at the moment.

By the way love the pallindromic name.
SOTW - I get what you're saying. I was just dreading having to go to meetings and such while going through detox....which I've never done before. I'm so ready to do whatever I need to in order achieve and sustain sobriety... and that comment sounds so much like bs that I question it myself.... I must say though that I find it so touching and gratfiying that complete strangers can connect via this site. So, whatever happens "I'll be back".

... and Least I love you! My sentiments exactly i had a 15 yo golden that passed in June an now have adopted a 5 yo male golden and I'm fostering others as they come into the program.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rockstar

I enjoyed my rehab 12 years ago. Sure the first few days were rough but after that it was like staying in a luxury hotel with group therapy. I learnt a lot and made a bunch of new friends.

to SR
Old 09-30-2009, 03:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was in rehab in June for the first time at 55. It was very interesting and I had my best days when I did not question a lot .. not easy for me! I detoxed from alcohol and benzos first and while in detox did not have to do anything I did not want to do. In rehab it was different, lots of activities but helpful so I wasn't thinking alllllll the time .. busy is better. Best of luck..let us know how you do.