Notices

ex drinking partners

Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm sure our HGs are different, but I go to other meetings too. I've seen A.A. across the state, the country, and the world.

There are similarities too. I was talking about you never "seeing" a certain slogan and pointing out that at some meetings they chant stuff or offer canned "slogan" advice... such as in relation to the OPs topic.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Travelled around the world myself and also saw a lot of stuff that people claim to be A.A but it is what you say just "chant"

I suppose I am just concerned at what someone might interpret as A.A.

But I understand what you are trying to say, so enough said.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Is it hot here or am I crazy?

Originally Posted by baldjim View Post
thank you :e124:

i was wondering what other people thought when they met old drinking buddies

both of themselves and the old drinking buddy :c009:
Hi baldjim,

Many of my drinking buddies were also my friends and most of them are still my friends - I just don't drink. They accept me and I accept them. If their drinking bothers me, it is my choice to leave the environment. Family is different - I may not be able to leave the environment, but I don't have to engage in their lunacy.

I echo what others have said, "Do not preach - but teach by example." When I see people I care about continue to have problems in their lives because of alcohol, I feel sad, but I don't feel sorry for them, because their way of living is their own choice.

When I see other drunks it makes me wonder, "Is that what I was like? Did I act and look like that?" Then I quickly remind myself that I am not superior over them nor am I special - I am just a sober person.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

The people that drank like I did have mostly died off unless, they did happen to get sober. The people, that drank almost as much as I did, I no longer see around.

They call this a selfish program, I have to be concerned with me never drinking again. I've had a few of my drinking buddies come into AA since, I've been sober. I make sure, they can get to meetings and spend time together with them.

Strange path life leads us all down. We never know which direction we'll end up. Just glad, I'm going in the right direction now and praying my old drinking friends will find AA.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
mergirl

I live with my closest friend. He quit for 3 months shortly after I did, with cause. He is back to drinking pretty fast now.

Hurts to watch a bit. I don't preach much, just ask him to call me instead of driving.

The freedom of his 3 months is still behind his eyes, I see it, so time will tell.