Notices

Newbie Intro :)

Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Intro :)

Hello all, I've been reading through some of the threads and thought that it might be beneficial for me to join the forum.

First, a little about me: 39 y/o male and former Marine (4 yrs). I'm a married father of three living in South Florida. I've been drinking regularly since my last year of high school. Over the past seven or so years, my drinking has become part of my daily routine, 99% of the time just beer and occasionally a shot or three of Tequila. My beer consumption is generally 6 - 12 a day. I know I have to stop drinking altogether but I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

I see a number of people saying that one should seek out a doctor for supervision during the initial attempt at quitting. For me, I can go two maybe three days without drinking and not have any adverse affects. Should I still see a Dr?

If so, what kind of doctor? A general practitioner or a rehab type Doc? If the latter, does AA offer a referral type thing?

Thanks in advance for your help. There is definitely some great advice on this board. I hope I can contribute to it in some way.

Sorry for the rambling.

Doug
Old 09-24-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Doh, first post and I realize that I should've put this in the newcomers section.

Sorry.

* Mods, please feel free to relocate this to it's right section.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to SR...

We can't give advice about the detox thing. If you are worried about it at all, see your primary care doc... You are on the worst day (3), though everyone is different.

I look forward to hearing more from you. It's a great place here.

Mark
Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

Hi, I'm in my third day on the site. It takes a while to find your way around. Don't worry about it. You won't hurt anything. And don't think you're rambling. I know it feels that way.

I can only give you my experience. It never hurts to see a doctor. I was afraid I was going to detox alone on my own. It hasn't happened. I'm another one who can go days without. Of course, then I always started again.

I cannot handle alcohol. There's a grief process there, but what am I giving up, really. Of course, what I'm going to do with all the extra health, vitality, productivity and money... who knows?

There are good, experienced people here and a lot of support.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

How funny! It looks like you were posting to my newbie thread while I was posting to yours. Kizmet.

I'm going to a state-run facility. I don't know how Florida does it. Maybe just check with AA for the first step. I was terrified the DTs were gonna get me, after all I'd read. They haven't. Some nervousness and anxiety. I still have to go to the center for eval.

See a regular doctor. He/she can guide you.

You're starting on a wonderful path. It's gonna be okay.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gracias Mariechi, I think I too am afraid of the Boogey man (DT's).

I already feel better for posting in this forum. Now I need to find a similar one that deals with the IRS, Home Owners insurance in South Fla, and a host of other stuff.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

2 newbies in one hit..........welcome..im glad your both with us.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Trucker, glad to be here.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

the names shaun my friend ...please to meet you.

always best to run your plans to stop past a doctor.

most doctors will advice you the best option.

some stop with no ill effects.

some stop with horrendous delerium tremens....google it if your interested

i have no idea how you will react........but the doctors will.

are you still drinking?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Shaun, it had been only four days or so until yesterday. I caved and had the first one. I didn't put up much of a fight after #1.

Wifey is pissed, rightfully so.

I do realize that I need to do something but really lacked much motivation to act on it until I found this forum. I guess I always said to myself, I can moderate it and therefore control it, but once the first beer is open, it's impossible (at least for me) to stop.

SR is really a great tool for those looking for information on the recovery process. I hope I can help someone else out who might be in the same boat as me.

Doug
Old 09-24-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Borracho View Post
...but once the first beer is open, it's impossible (at least for me) to stop.
That is what AA's Big Book calls an allergy to alcohol. It is the one characteristic that distinguishes the alcoholic from the non-alcoholic. That phenomenon of craving doesn't occur in normal drinkers.

Originally Posted by AA Big Book 1st Ed.
We believe, and so suggested a few years ago, that the action of alcohol on these chronic alcoholics is a manifestation of an allergy; that the phenomenon of craving is limited to this class and never occurs in the average temperate drinker. These allergic types can never safely use alcohol in any form at all; and once having formed the habit and found they cannot break it, once having lost their self-confidence, their reliance upon things human, their problems pile up on them and become astonishingly difficult to solve.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

nice one doug.

i tried everything doug.....i couldnt drink and i couldnt stay sober.

i was introduce to the 12 steps of alcoholics anonymous within a short time life became bearable without alcohol.

a while ago was my nineth year without the need to take a drink.

my life has become something wonderful........

if you find you cannot stay sober....by just stopping feel free to pm me or take a trip over to 12 step support.

or there are other programs of recovery you may be interested in..

please continue to post your experience......we are all interested to hear it.

shaun
Old 09-24-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Borracho

I see everyones beaten me to the advice - so welcome

you'll find a lot of support here.
D
Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
That is what AA's Big Book calls an allergy to alcohol. It is the one characteristic that distinguishes the alcoholic from the non-alcoholic. That phenomenon of craving doesn't occur in normal drinkers.
Now this is helpful to me. Having to come to terms with the label "alcoholic" is kind of hard.

An alcoholic is not someone who drinks. An alcoholic is someone who cannot drink. There is nothing wrong with being someone who cannot drink, as long as he/she does not drink. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with being an alcoholic, as long as you don't drink.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to our recovery community...

A lot of members use more than one Forum....I sure do!

Here is a link full of info about de toxing
and some of our personal experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Please note that none are exactly the same.

Yes...we do win over alcohol...
Blessings to you and your family
Old 09-24-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Muy Borracho no mas!

Welcome! Hope you find a doc you need and as was said, A.A. nor we can refer anything like that.

But once you get past the physical stuff, may you find a safe recovery!

I have a bro in Bradenton. I went to some good meetings out there on Manatee Ave.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome Doug.

I can relate to the "mostly beer" drinking, and definitely not being able to stop once the first one is opened (hey, I'm an alcoholic)... I found a way of living in AA which allowed me to live life sober and sane.

You've gotten some great advice... please let me know if I can help in any way...

NoMo
Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your well wishes. I am pretty taken back by the kindness that this board has offered. Many people have similar stories and yet SR members kindly welcome these "re-posts" with open arms.

Reading other peoples situations helps tremendously but posting your own situation brings it home for me. It kind of makes the internet more personal.

Thanks again guys and gals.

On a side note, In the spirit of keeping busy, I just came back from my first ballroom dance lesson. It's something I never wanted to do and kind of don't want to do now. It holds absolutely no interest to me. I'd rather be in my garage working on my truck but I promised my wife I'd do it. She's been ballroom dancing her entire life so I figured it might be something fun we could do together.

What I took away from it was:

1. It kept me busy without alcohol
2. It was kind of fun. Please don't tell anyone I said that.

I guess I can apply it to this situation by thinking that it's ok to try something new that is good for you. It might even be fun, so go ahead give it a try.

Just thought I'd share.

:flamesuit: on!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Somewhere I heard this.....
A happy wife makes for a pleasant life.

Yes....recovery for me meant change and action.
AA has been and is an awesome adventure
in both for me....

Dance on Doug.....