Notices

Nightmares

Old 09-22-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nightmares

I haven't visited in a long time! But on Thursday I will have 90 days. But I have noticed I have had nightmares about drinking. I wake up feeling horrible, like I did drink, but I didn't. They are of me drinking, when I dont want to, people i havent seen in a long time, and me being very upset. I feel awful all day an feeling very guilty, when I haven't done anything. Any advice of what I can do? Thanks! 1KitGer
Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

at 17 and a half months, i still have those dreams. some people say that they are a freebie, but i dont look at it like that. im agine how you feel when you wake up, and multiply it by 100. thats how you will feel if you decide to go back. i can tell you from experience. congrats on 90 days, thats huge. my dreams have just recently changed from drinking/ using already in my dream, to having it offered to me and me saying no and walking away. i believe its a wierd subconcious thing that just takes time. what helps me, is doing what you just did and talking about it. good job!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

I've had plenty of those dreams but try looking at it like this: How many times have you woke up after a binge and wished you didn't drink? Wished it was just a dream?

Waking up after one of those nightmares can be a powerful reminder of how I used to feel after a big drunk. I'm grateful when its just a dream.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

drinking dreams always made me feel a deep sense of gratitude.. that did not just happen! the time i wake up from one and don't care.. that's when i would worry! take care..
Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I just had my first "drunk dream" recently and it made me realize how lucky I was that it was just a dream.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams are a very normal part of sobriety. Try not to let them get to you and remember they are not harbingers of doom they are just that...dreams. It's been awhile but I have had them every so often throughout most of my sobriety. Still dream about smoking (cigarettes) once in awhile too.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Funny this topic is mentioned again as I had an incredibly vivid and anxious drinking dream last night (11 weeks sober tomorrow). The dreams have changed from me activly drinking to my dream last where I was unaware that the drink I was drinking had 3% alcohol in it. I had two before I realised in the dream, and I felt sooo incredibole terrible when I realised I had lost my sobriety and that the nightmare was ready to start over again.

I woke up feeling incredibly anxious and it took me a good few minutes to fully come-round to consciousness and realise it was just a dream.

A very powerfull reminder of how I would feel if I lost my sobriety ie- Terrible and hopeless and back to day 1 again... NO CHANCE!!!!!

Onwards and Upwards. xx
Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

if you didnt have these dreams once in a while i would say your not an alcoholic.

so in that case WELCOME, your one of us. dont let it bother you its just the illness trying to get at you when your asleep because it cant when your awake.

may your god go with you.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would suggest Melatonin. Help you sleep.
And vitamin B-6 way less nightmares.
Give it a try.
Fred
Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
where the light is

The funny thing is, when I have a drinking dream, in the dream I am never having a good time!

It's always the same horror & remose.

Anyway, like others, once I wake up and realize it was just a dream, I am so incredibly grateful for my sobriety.

The dream is kinda like a vivid reminder of why I don't drink anymore.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your responses and wishes! I guess I have to like many of you said, be grateful. I seem to always forget that word- Grateful!! I was anxios all day and even was weird to my husband. He was very supportive because I told him what had happened, where in the past I would keep it to myself. Then I would go out and drink because of the axienty. So again thank you so much for the support, I forgot how wonderful this site is. I got away from it because I was attending so many meetings, but this is a great place because you can talk, talk , talk, and there is no time limit!! HAHA!!! May your Higher Power be with everyone today, I AM DEFINITELY GRATEFUL FOR BEING SOBER ONE MORE DAY, FOR THE GRACE OF MY HIGHER POWER, AA ROOMS, AND SOBER RECOVERY COMMUNITY!!!!! 1KitGer
Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At almost 4 months sober, I still get them every now and then, but not as much as I did in the very beginning. They're normal.

Like some of the other posters have said, it's such a relief to wake up and realize it was a dream, and it kind of reinforces gratitude for sobriety.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your 90 days.....

Welcome back to SR