Notices

I'm spiraling...

Old 09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by debs View Post
Oh and uh..... I stepped right in a big pile of dog **** that my dog so lovingly deposited on the floor.........................

Which I hear is good luck, right?

Ok, sorry.. shutting up lol
Only if it squishes between your toes!!! LOL!

So happy you are feeling somewhat better.... I thought I was going to have to yell at you (sorry, even though I don't know you well enough) for beating yourself up so much -- STOP THAT! (OK, sorry... a little yelling :ghug3 )

My heart has been breaking for you in your recent threads, I know where you are at... I have been there in my world as well (both 'out there' and in recovery). The best thing I can say is to take life one day at a time... That is SOOOOO very important. Sometimes it's one minute at a time. Whatever it takes to right-size the world so you can be sober in that minute/hour/day.

Happy 24 hours again! Great job, and keep close to meetings!

NoMo
Old 09-22-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

For the last time, you do not need A.A., a sponsor, the steps, or any other type of group to get sober. I'm NOT saying people don't benefit from AA, but the vast majority of alcoholics get sober without it. Everyone has to find their own way to get sober. Telling Debs to get a sponsor or work the steps might not work for her, let's not force it down her throat guys. Like I said before, Debs, you may need to talk to a mental health professional to find out whats causing you to relapse. You may need to see a medical doctor, an herbalist, whatever. Or, you may need to make lifestyle changes. Or all of the above or none at all. Find out what works for you, and keep trying. Don't let the people on these boards fool you into thinking that a sponsor and AA is a cure, or the best way to get sober. AA made my life a living hell, and many others. I have known many people (some who are dying) who went to AA and relapsed hard and hard again because they kept getting the false message that steps and sponsorships are the only way to sobriety. Again, I am not saying AA does not work for some people. But the stats on people in AA who stay sober is dismal; it's a joke. Debs, I am praying for you. Please talk to a professional. Pray and trust in god. Do whatever it takes to get help. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off after this, and learn from it. God bless.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Never Looking Back

I'm sorry you had a bad AA experience.

I'm not an AAer either but it makes sense to me to let people, whoever they are, have their head and go the way they've been headed....and encourage that.

You make a good point about counselling. If anyone here decides not to go with AA I'll support them finding a new way that works...but it's always their call

D
Old 09-22-2009, 10:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Never Looking Back

I'm sorry you had a bad AA experience.

I'm not an AAer either but it makes sense to me to let people, whoever they are, have their head and go the way they've been headed....and encourage that.

You make a good point about counselling. If anyone here decides not to go with AA I'll support them finding a new way that works...but it's always their call

D
I am in total agreement with you. It's just that Dee already expressed doubt in sponsorship in another forum, and I was concerned that certain members are not respecting her decisions regarding AA. They are still telling her to go and get a sponser, although she has said before she was not crazy about the idea. I think AA is great for people who benefit from it, but it can be detrimental for people who do not benefit from it; many relapse over and over, only to be told that it's because they didn't do something right according to AA. This can be dangerous advice, and can even make an alcoholic feel bad, therefore increasing the chance of relapse. Just my 2 cents, to each his own. I am a huge supporter of professional mental health counseling, which is a great way to discover the roots of the addiction, which often accompanies a mental illness or problem. In addition, in therapy, an alcohol abuser gets to talk to someone trained in addictions/mental health, not just an another ex drunk.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:54 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it best we re-read the original post and re-focus.
Let Debs speak for herself.

D
Old 09-23-2009, 01:08 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
jimbo

well done debs we are proud of you
Old 09-23-2009, 01:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Great to hear you're on 2nd day. All the best to you Debs
Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Great to hear your on day two... I'll support you whatever way you choose to get sober. So long as you are trying to get sober. If you want to get involved in AA at least get some numbers. I know social anxiety and all that but talking to others has been imperative to my recovery. I've tried counseling... but it was a joke until I honestly wanted sobriety bad enough. I have had an absolutely abhorrent experience in AA. BUT. It doesn't matter its the path I have choosen... so when I was ready I started again. Working the steps with a sponsor helps me far more than any therapy session I have been in. Never looking back I am happy if you have found something that works for you.
Lets keep this on topic though. Much love and support Debs...

Edit: defiantly talk to some professional experienced in addictions no matter what you do.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

((((debs))))

How are you doing today???
Old 09-23-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I think offering any suggestion to get off of the booze, while on a bender, is helpful. Telling someone what they don't need seems a bit counter productive, considering how an alcoholic's mind works. Do what ever it takes, but please stop and stay stopped. Find some program that works for you.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Welcome back Debs. :ghug3 Congrats on your sober time. Pm me if you need anything.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Well I have had one HELL of a last couple of days...

May start a thread about it tomorrow... was INSANE... I'm just too tired tonight...

But the important bit is that I survived.......... without drinking... which is pretty awesome considering everything...

I'm doing well.... things are really starting to look up for me.. thanks for all the support.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biravatch65 View Post
Don't make sponsorship such a huge obstacle... you don't even need to find someone that has a lot of time sober.

Bill & Bob got sober around the same time. Who was sponsoring who? They were each helping eachother at various times.

It might help if you can at least find another alcoholic who is committed to staying sober and would like to see you sober as well. You can work through things together and be supportive.

Maybe later you'll be comfortable with someone who has already been through the steps helping you.
Nice first post biravatch65! Welcome to SR!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:51 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone.....
please do share your experience with us while following
our SR Polciy Rules and Posting Guidelines.

Some posts were removed and others that replied to the
removed post went too.
Disrupting a thread by bickering is not allowed.

Thanks to everyone for sharing with concern and support.