Notices

Me again

Old 09-15-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me again

Haven't been here for awhile, and really, nothing has changed. Still drink a bottle of wine a night. Still pissed at myself I cannot quit. Was retired for two years and got bored and went back to work. Good job (CFO), and I like it. Thought this would change my drinking since I couldn't use boredom as an excuse. Not the case.....no change in drinking. Got a call last week from a very old friend I hadn't talked to in last 3 years. Turns out he joined AA, at least partly due to me ( last we talked I was pretty depressed and wanted to quit). He thought I was going to go to AA and had quit, and this gave him some impetus (not the most as he has a wake up moment). He called to see how I was doing in my non drinking life. He was actually a bit pissed that he had used me as somewhat of an impetus, and I had not followed through on my end. Bottom line is, I'm still where I was when I last posted, and while I want to quit, I am concerned about "missing it"...it's a part of my life, and a pleasant part, and frankly, I enjoy it. It does not affect anything I do (at least to me), and I my physical health is OK, and pretty much normal, for my age (61). I still think about joining AA, but deep down inside, I'm not sure I really want to quit. On the other hand, I certainly cannot seem to become a casual drinker. Very frustrating.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey,

I can relate to wondering if i'd miss it. To be honest I do sometimes. But the life I have after only a couple months makes it clear that I am better off without it. I use AA in my recovery... its worth checking out anyway. You owe it to yourself to see what a different life could be. Anyway all the best hope you make the right decision...
Old 09-15-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
I certainly cannot seem to become a casual drinker. Very frustrating.
I couldn't either.

You are what you are. Continue doing what you can live with.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well..you came here before, talked about quitting and didn't.

You came back and talk about drinking and not quitting.

I am a bit puzzled about your post?

Its your choice, you can keep doing what you are doing. Or, you could stop drinking.

I am sure you are aware, that although you say you aren't suffering any consequences, a bottle of wine a day is way over the recommended daily amount, so, it is not good for your health to drink that much each day.

Nothing changes, if nothing changes.

Do you want to change?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Me again
I wasn't a wine drinker. But I would guess a bottle of wine might = a 6 pack of beer? How long have you been drinking a bottle of wine a night? Do you always stop at a bottle?
I don't really know just what to say.
BUT I sobered up about 51/2 months ago. I used to drink a 12 pack of beer a day. I just turned 49 today.
1 I feel so much better in the morning.
2 It's so nice to go somewhere in the evening. I couldn't go anywhere past 5:30.( had to drive)
3 I don't hide from everyone(not saying you do) once I start drinking.
4 I feel I have a clearer train of thought(most of the time)
5 I can actually get something done in the evening. (I used to put everything off till the weekend).
These are just some of the good things that have changed for me. Yea at first I didn't know what to do with myself, but that changed after the first month or so. I will probably get bored this winter, but I figure if I do I will just go to more AA meetings.(it beats anything on TV, AA folks, please don't take offense). I sure like getting the monkey off my back.
Fred
Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Well, like ANEW I'm a bit confused too.

If you don't want to quit, and drinking has no negative effect on your life (other than the fact that you're drinking about four times the amount of what is considered "moderate drinking" for women, per day).. what is it that a sobriety and recovery board can help you with?

I know I have never regretted NOT drinking.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again Ozark
Should you ever choose to quit drinking....please ask your
doctor for a medically supervised de tox.
Always best to be safe ...
Old 09-16-2009, 04:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why did I post?......Well, I guess it is because I'm a drunk, and this seems to be a place people share experiences. If posting to this site is only allowed if you have quit, then I'll just lurk in the future.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

My advice is go to AA even though you don't yet have the will to quit - the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. My life is what I always dreamed it would be - and more - since getting into recovery. It's worth it.

Just go - and see what you think!

Cathy31
x
Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((Ozark))

This place is not for folks who have quit, look around and read posts, you will see there are many here who are still drinking.

But, most are here because they are trying to quit, or have a desire to quit.

Are you trying to quit...do you want to quit?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Would I be visiting to this website or posting if I didn't want to quit? oh....never mind. I'll just lurk.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

See... that right there shows a certain attitude. I'm not judging you harshly, merely observing.

Let me ask you two questions straight up. Your attitude as well as your words will tell us where you are.

If your answer to those questions is "yes" and "yes", and you're sincere about it, I tell you this;

Then we can help you. Either you're gonna do recovery of you're not. It's up to you bud. The ball is in your court.
      Old 09-16-2009, 07:48 PM
        # 13 (permalink)  

This is a caring, wonderful, knowledge filled community.

If you want to quit, we can share what has worked for us.

You also could attend AA with your friend that you inspired to quit.

Once we admit we have a problem,, we can begin to find a solution.

It is scarey to think about giving up alcohol at first, but, the first step would be to stop.
      Old 09-17-2009, 04:20 AM
        # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah....I do want to quit.....it's the "quit for good" part that is the obstacle. Quitting for good almost sounds like a life sentence to me. From what I read here, it should be more of a lifetime pass to a more enjoyable life. I'm trying to believe that....I really am. But the doubt that this will not be true is there, and very strong. If my AA friend didn't live 500 miles from me, I would gladly attend a meeting with him.

Sorry about the attitude thing.....nothing personal.

I come here because I am an alcoholic, and I don't like it, but just cannot get up the whatever to leave it.

Maybe I should change my name to AnewOzark.....just kidding folks.

Off to work....another day starting with great intentions and willpower, likely to end up the same as the day before....I need some type of epiphany.

Thanks folks
      Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 AM
        # 15 (permalink)  
      Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wel...
      Perhaps you could think of quitting as a prevented action?
      A way to improve your health or future wellness?
      We do become limited as we age...true fact...

Soon to be 74 been sober 20+ years and enjoyimg it.
      Wishing the same for you.
      Old 09-17-2009, 05:23 AM
        # 16 (permalink)  

Haven't been here for awhile, and really, nothing has changed. Still drink a bottle of wine a night. Still pissed at myself I cannot quit. Was retired for two years and got bored and went back to work. Good job (CFO), and I like it. Thought this would change my drinking since I couldn't use boredom as an excuse. Not the case.....no change in drinking. Got a call last week from a very old friend I hadn't talked to in last 3 years. Turns out he joined AA, at least partly due to me ( last we talked I was pretty depressed and wanted to quit). He thought I was going to go to AA and had quit, and this gave him some impetus (not the most as he has a wake up moment). He called to see how I was doing in my non drinking life. He was actually a bit pissed that he had used me as somewhat of an impetus, and I had not followed through on my end. Bottom line is, I'm still where I was when I last posted, and while I want to quit, I am concerned about "missing it"...it's a part of my life, and a pleasant part, and frankly, I enjoy it. It does not affect anything I do (at least to me), and I my physical health is OK, and pretty much normal, for my age (61). I still think about joining AA, but deep down inside, I'm not sure I really want to quit. On the other hand, I certainly cannot seem to become a casual drinker. Very frustrating.

Hey Man,
      If you ever do want to stop for good feel free to send me a private message.

I would echo Carol's statement, you might need medical detox first.
      Jim
      Old 09-17-2009, 06:14 AM
        # 17 (permalink)  

It does not affect anything I do (at least to me),
      Hello mate..I think you should be asking yourself - if your drinking had no negative impact on your life, would you be on a recovery site ?

I am 3 years sober and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss getting high or sober but when I think about where I was and where I will end up if I drink again I realize it's not worth it.
      Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 AM
        # 18 (permalink)  

Ozark...

It might be overwhelming and frightening to think about forever.

However, the only thing that works for me is to take it one day at a time. Today,
      I will not drink.

If I try to predict the outcome of my future, I miss being in the here and now.

Have you checked into any local AA groups?

If that is not for you, you could start and support your recovery here.

There are alot of folks here that use different methods to remain sober. I am sure they will be glad to share them with you, all you have to do is ask.

Another way to look at quitting for good as a life sentence...it could be,
      it could be the thing that saves your life, improves your health, and sentences you to happiness...
      Old 09-17-2009, 08:03 AM
        # 19 (permalink)  

Ozark,

As others have said, there isn't much any of us can do to convince you to stop drinking. And why would we? I don't have a problem with someone else's drinking, only my own. I'm not a reformer. But if you would like to quit drinking, I have an answer for that.

Originally Posted by ANEWAUGUST View Post
      However, the only thing that works for me is to take it one day at a time. Today, I will not drink.
      This idea does not resonate with me at all. It misses the whole point of being recovered in AA. BUT, I understand that it's a lot more palatable than contemplating quitting drinking for good and all. It's an OK place to start. No offense to ANEWAUGUST.

I think it's OK to sit on the fence for a while. I don't recommend it, but I don't condemn it either. If on the fence is where you are, Ozark, then you're on the fence.

If you're 'interested' in quitting drinking, then learning whether or not you are an alcoholic is a great way to start. I've seen that learning process result in someone going beyond learning. It can result in an 'experience'.

So, you say you are interested in quitting, but scared of the lifetime committment. Fair enough.

I say, try to quit. See how that works for you. Not only will it allow you to wade in slowly, but it will give you a whole lot of information to decide if you are an alcoholic like me. If you haven't done so before, make a sincere effort to quit. If you are unable to, you may have crossed that line.
      Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM
        # 20 (permalink)  

Good points Keith. I'd also like to add that I was never shown the "day at a time" program.

I have no experience with it at all. It not only doesn't resonate with me, it's not even on my radar.

I can't imagine anything I left behind in a pink jail cell that I need to go back to.

I also couldn't imagine waking up every morning wondering what I was going to do that day to keep myself sober.

This all implies mind control to me.

I hear there are other recoveries besides A.A. If they get you sober, do it. If they can keep you sober, do it. If they keep you alive and well, please do it. Why wouldn't anybody want to do that? I let the "process" restore my mind to one that does not want to drink... for long periods of time. So far, 5 years, 8 months, 8 days and counting.