Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

In your opinion, is this end stage alcoholism? Have any of you been there?

Notices

In your opinion, is this end stage alcoholism? Have any of you been there?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Your post is heart breaking. Praying for you and your family. I am so thankful that you and the kids are taking care of yourselves, and I pray that your husband sees that small glimpse of hope -- a moment of clarity -- which may save him.

God bless you all...
:praying
Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

We have spoken a lot in the past queenteree, hon I wish you had PMed me sooner. I was diagnosed as early final stage, but I was no where near what you describe. I will tell you this, I know people who have been there in the final days of an alcoholics life, descriptions will serve no purpose here.

queenteree for the love of your children and the preservation of the good memories you have of him, let the hospital/police handle getting him into an institution.

PM me if you want to..........PLEASE!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I would have to say it is a long shot but I know of people who were closer to death who bounced back.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This sounds exactly like the beginning of the last-stage of alcoholism that I personally witnessed my grandfather go through. There are striking similarities, and it was gut-wrenching to witness.

He was drunk 24/7. Drank almost a gallon of vodka a day just to survive the day. Could hardly walk, and was yellow from his cirrhosis at the very end.

I remember on his last day before being institutionalized for the remainder of his life, we found him in his bedroom just walking in circles, mumbling to himself, and extremely confused. We knew that was it and had to institutionalize him.

Here is what his doctor told us (which may help you with your timing question). His doc said that once the liver is over 50% scarred (cirrhosis) the patient has a maximum of 5 years to live unless there is a transplant. My grandfather's liver was 70% scarred and we did not find out early enough for him to get a transplant. He died at 62, shortly after learning of the late-stage of his alcoholic liver disease.

Now, there is some positive news I can share with you that came from my personal doctor who knows of my alcoholism. (And I have alcoholic heptatitis, which is the stage before cirrhosis, but in which the liver can still heal itself)....

There are 3 stages of alcoholic liver disease, cirrhosis being the latest and deadliest. Statistically, only 15% of alcoholics ever reach the cirrhosis stage, meaning his liver could still heal if be abstains 100%. He definitely should get a liver biopsy if he wants to live.

I've been to plenty of AA speaker meetings where people at the stage where your husband is speak of their long-term sobriety and happiness. All is not lost yet. But he must want to get better for himself.

Your story is heartbreaking. I will pray for you and your husband. Best of luck.