Notices

Only a little hope

Old 09-07-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Only a little hope

Hi, this is my first post here.

The substances that seem to permanently have their hooks into me are cigarettes and alcohol.

I want to escape, but have only a little hope that I can do it.

I thought I'd at least take a step for myself, by registering here, and sharing a little, and listening to what others say.

Most days, I quit in the morning, but never make it through the day. I've quit hundreds, maybe thousands, of times.

Any ideas on how to just muster the minimum to get thru a day, then 2, then 3, and so on?

Actually, how do I get thru ONE DAY?

Ha ha! I will carefully read any/all ideas..... thank you so much for being here...
Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum.

You might consider checking with your doctor about a medically
supervised de tox. Withdrawing from alcohol alone can be dangerous.

Here is info for you to read...hope it helps

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Many of us are winning over addiction
this can be true for you too.

Glad you joined us...we do understand...
Old 09-07-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you CarolD! I will read that - - thanks so much....

-Franceen
Old 09-07-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the Sober Recovery family!

This link contains excerpts from the book "Under the Influence":

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

That book helped me in getting sober. I knew in my heart I had a problem with alcohol. But my head kept telling me I wasn't as bad as (blank), I hadn't (blank) yet, I did so good last week I deserve a reward, etc.....It was endless internal conflict!

After reading that excerpt, I bought the book. It helped me start my journey of sobriety.

Another thing that helped was changing my routines. Doing different things to avoid the old triggers. Mix up your schedule and create new healthier habits.

As Carol said, medical attention for detox is a good idea.

Keep reading and posting.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Franceen. Welcome to SR. You may have a physical addiction to alcohol and that is why it's so hard to stop, among other reasons. The books on alcoholism are good books. I have read both Under the Influence and Beyond the Influence (actually reading it again now) and they have taught me much about this disease. In order to stop the progression of the disease you have to stop drinking. The first few days are the toughest to get through. I know I've done it a thousand times too. That's why you'll hear people say take it a day at a time or even a minute at a time to get through. Keep coming to SR though and read a lot. Post when you feel the need. I'm sure you'll get some more folks to chime in here to help you get through these hard days.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hello franceen and welcome to sr.plenty of grand folk here that will share their experience,strength and hope with you.post plenty too.i am an alcoholic and could not give up on my own.i went to AA at the begining of the year,got a sponsor and work the steps.my life have changed beyond recognition.AA is not for everyone and there are other ways,,but for me this is what is working.i have made a handful of very good friends there and many folk that i can call at any time.i have made some special friends here at sr too.i hope you find what you are looking for.by the way,,when i first put the drink down i spent alot of time in chat,,i would have done anything to stay away from the booze and it worked,,before i knew it the time had passed.but,things are different now,by working the steps i no longer think of booze,,its not a problem today.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Franceen
I have also quit hundreds of times. The times I made it more than a couple weeks. Less than a handfull. I have now been sober over 5 months.
Like was said and I'm sure you know we have to break the physical part first. What I did was look back at what usually made me fail, and avoid those situations at all cost. That is just for the first 2 or 3 weeks. (about the same time as rehab).
We all have "excuses" that make us drink. (Damn it's cloudy today, I think I'll get plowed). NAW Seriously. I avoided going home down the highway, because a traffic jam would send me racing to the liquor store. things like that. I also avoided doing anything I didn't have to. If anything were to go wrong, well that's an excuse to drink. As far as myself I always had one sneak up on me between 2 or 3 weeks. I would be doing just fine and then bam. I would have a craving that would make you grit your teeth together. That's why this last time my 3rd weekend I did absolutely nothing, and I made it. After that I slowly started doing more stuff.
I also go to AA meetings, but I broke the physical part on my own. As is said in AA. AA helps you to deal with sobriety. I think it's very important to go even if you don't really participate. It doesn't take very long without a drink to forget(I CAN"T DO THAT). It's amazing how short the alcoholic memory is when it comes to drinking. .
I also got a book (seven weeks to sobriety) it is along the same lines as under the influence. Vitamins,amino acids, and diet make a huge difference.
I hope something in here helps.
Fred
Old 09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As the others have said, a DR visit is probably not a bad idea. I am pretty young in this attempt (12 days) but for some reason it seems that I am recovering rather than just staying "dry". It might have something to do with I didn't quit smoking at the same time like the other attempts I have tried.

Depending on what the doc says maybe getting rid of one habit at a time might work. I only smoked when I drank but since I drank every day, I was addicted to both and when I tried to quit both cold turkey I would have insane cravings at the same time.

This time I pretty much had to keep to myself and not visit people much in person or on the phone just sort of hide until I felt like I could stand to be in my own skin. I am not there yet but each day gets easier.

Consider an exercise program as well, the endorphins released from exercise react in the brain very similar to the effect from alcohol.

good luck and focus on the positive things that can result from not drinking, try it out for a few days and you'll feel the benefits.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Good afternoon & welcome to the SR community.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Franceen!

I have the same problem, booze & cigarettes. I am 30 days into sobriety and am finishing my last pack of cigarettes tonight. Tomorrow morning I WILL be a former smoker.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All I can say is: Thank you so much for the replies. I feel supported, even though I don't know anyone here. I feel soooo glad to have found this place.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Franceen,
Keep smoking until you are done with drinking forever. When you are committed to quitting smoking read this free e-book;
http://nerukom.googlepages.com/Allen...topSmoking.pdf

It comes highly recommended to me by some former smokers, I am ten pages from finishing it and I am ready to stop smoking. As a matter of fact I am looking forward to tomorrow morning and not having any cigarettes in the house. I am looking forward to be free of the prison smoking has become for me.