Notices

Drinking Escape

Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Escape

Crazy as it sounds but been thinking would drinking on weekends help me. I gave up Alcohol & Smoking cold turkey 2 months ago this Wednesday and still suffering some symptoms odd twitching here and there headaches/Pulse etc not going to bore you all again with that. However a few drinks over the weekend and a bit of releaf would that do the trick.

My liver should be better after 2 months sober was only slightly high and doctor didnt seem to concerend. (reading was double the 50 recomended so i gather he was saying mine was 100).

Maybe this might help with constant blues and twitching, headaches fear/anxiety etc.

What you guys think can something like this work if i could keep to it.

Robbo
Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
I do hope you will continue to stay sober
2/7 and give yourself a chance to heal.
I sincerely think any alcohol is dangerous for you.
Ask your brother his opinion.

I did suggest you get an eye exam ...perhaps the constant
headaches could be a sign you need reading glasses.

Hopeing you choose wisely....
Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We just had a whole huge thread on this. Please just give it one more day, and go see a Dr. again about your extended w/d symptoms. They could be totally unrelated to w/d.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks both,

Sorry didnt know about other post

Been for a full eye exam/test as explained in other posts Doctor recomended (opticians look behind eyes for other things by all accounts) and have new specs

Been to 3 different doctors all say the same thing about withdrawals/Paws or what ever they are, however only my 1 (out of 6) liver tests were of concern and doctor didnt seem overly concerend about that reading after asking him.

Maybe the boredom is making me think of crazy things

Robbo
Old 09-07-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Robbo,

You are the one that started the thread I am talking about:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ing-drunk.html

I guess that was 3 days ago by now. I am glad your liver numbers are better but that is no excuse to drink! What are you going to do, run your liver down until you have no wiggle room? Meanwhile the booze will also affect every organ and system in you body.

To drink would be to participate in the insanity the Big Book talks about.

If you are still experiencing symptoms, go to a 3rd Dr., or a 4th. Getting drunk will not improve anything.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Robbo something else ..................... to think about ........................... you drank for years ................................ you have 2 months or so sober .......................... you have done immense damage overall to your body ............................ depleted it of many vital vitamins and minerals.

You need to give your body time to heal. It is not healed in 2 months. My first year of recovery I had pneumonia 9 TIMES. The second year only had pneumonia 3 times. I asked my Dr about it, said to him I must have a really poor immune system. His response to me was "What Immune System? You don't have one right now and we need to build you back up."

Drinking takes a TERRIBLE toll on our bodies and much of it is not visible on tests, but we FEEL it in early recovery.

Make sure you are eating healthy, you can check out the American Heart Assn web page and the Diabetes Assn web page. There is also a pretty good eating plan in "Under The Influence" that will help, taking a multi vitamin, etc. Find a hobby you think you might like to try, be it hiking in the woods, photography, something.

I don't know if you have tried AA or are open to it, but I can tell you for the first 6 months my reasons for going to meetings was not anything about "The Program". My reasons were, I felt safe there. There were sober folks there, and I started making some friends, getting phone numbers and calling peeps when I got those 'jitters.'

It wasn't until I was about 6 months and could actually again comprehend what I was reading that I finally open the Big Book and started getting a bit serious about "The Program."

The meetings were a SAFE HARBOR for me. I started going for coffee with folks from the meetings after the meetings, and then started going to picnics, and bbqs and movies etc all with a group of Sober Folks.

It might help to alleviate your boredom.

Hope the above helps a bit.

Love and hugs,
Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hello robbo.im glad you didnt drink.im ditto to what laurie said,,good post.im a huge advocate of AA.i am never lonely or bored or jumpy,in fact i barely think of drink and when i do the thought is very quickly out of my head.certainly the obsession has been removed.im only 7 months sober robbo but with a little work on my part i am a changed person.booze is no longer a problem.i find i am still needing a lot of sleep,luckily that seems to be the only lingering affect for me.my liver was back to normal very quickly but that is only because surprisingly it wasnt to damaged ( shock!!!!) i drank alcoholically for 20 yrs and caused a lot of destruction,so im not going to beat myself up about taking a nap here and there,my body is telling me i need it.i would suggest like someone said if you need to get several doctors opinions on your condition right now.the shakes and jitters shouldnt last this long.i wish you well.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Alcohol won't solve the headaches, and only keeps anxiety at bay for a short period. Alcohol (like nicotine) are NOT good for anxiety in the long term. Trust me.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

So do you want to wait until there's nothing you can do to heal your liver?

If so, keep drinking.

If you want feel healthy, clear headed, energetic, and lower your anxiety.. keep doing what you're doing now.

It took my body a good 6 or 7 months to heal. There's no way I would go back to killing it slowly again!

As suggested, re-read the thread you started about drinking again, you got a ton of really good guidance and support!
Old 09-07-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by robbo78 View Post
Crazy as it sounds but been thinking would drinking on weekends help me.
Crazy thinking drinking on weekends would help me.

There, I fixed that for ya.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You wouldn't be in this predicament if you could only drink a couple of drinks on the weekends. Two drinks will lead to you wanting more. Plus, a couple of drinks will only stop the anxiety symptoms for a few hours at most, if that. It isn't going to stop the twitches/pulses/headaches for a whole week. Trust me.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey man... only you can answer this question. My gut feeling is if you really thought you could get away with being a weekend warrior... you would be out doing it. You wouldn't be online looking for examples of people who made it work. I can only speak for my personal experience. But that never worked for me. Once the phenomena of craving (after the first drink) starts it doesn't give a **** what day it is. 2 months was certainly the lowest I felt in my recovery. It seems like this will never end. By 3 months my depression/anxiety had improved markedly. This goes against AA principles--but if it helps you--you might want to consider setting a date to reconsider. No less than 6 months clean. Give your self some time to heal before seeing if you really want to go back to that life...
Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What you guys think can something like this work if i could keep to it.
If you could keep to it, why did you quit drinking for the two months in the first place? Why not just do weekends? Probably becuause you quickly realized that any Alcohol sends you straight back to all of the worst problems that made you want to stop in the first place.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rockstar

If you only drink on weekends, what are you going to do for your anxiety the rest of the week? As ive said, alcohol is no cure for anxiety.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The answer is no. You already knew the answer.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by robbo78 View Post

What you guys think can something like this work if i could keep to it?
It could work IF - you stick to ALL the rules you make. Something I NEVER could do once I got a few drinks in me.