Notices

Hi..

Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi..

Hi...I am Kristina, and I am an alcoholic. I have 'lurked' here for awhile wanting to get help, but have never posted. I have overcome a huge pill addiction, did great, and I was actually very, very happy. I really don't understand 'why' I started drinking so much. I can only conclude that addicts transfer from one addiction to another. I was always a social drinker, quit the pills (that was HELL), clean for atleast a year and a half. I have concluded that no matter what drug you have used, you still have an addictive personality. I don't think the majority of people who start abusing a substance hate themselves, or want their family and loved ones to suffer. I think we do it because inadvertently we are trying to numb some kind of pain. My plan is to quit drinking...period...and work on me, and figuring all of this out. I think this is a big eye-opener, because I now understand that I can't have just one drink, because if there is a problem there, I will try to drown it!
Old 09-03-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

lurk no more kristina and welcome to sr...im glad your here with us.

when do you plan to stop?

how do you plan to stop?

and whats the plan to stay stopped?

its a good idea to talk to a doctor if you can....let them know how much you drink and that you plan to stop abruptly.
some get medical complications..

my name shaun and im a alcoholic........and i live a wonderful life without the need to round off the edges.

i do this by praticing a suggested program of action outlined in the book alcoholics anonymous...

look foward to hearing from you again................
Old 09-03-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

"no what drug you have used, you still have an addictive personality"
My experience has bore this out to be very, very true. Best of Luck and welcome.
For me I needed time sober just to chill before really engaging who I really was, am right now, and what I want to become. The "surrender" concept; which Initially seemed to be a bunch of gobbletigook is increasingly making sense. SR, SMART, AA, private and group counseling have all seemed to work in different doses for different people. Best of luck.
Humbly on day 36 this time.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome! What's the plan?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome - whatever your plan is I hope you include SR.

Keep coming back

((hugs))
Old 09-03-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi sadie2 welcome to SR
Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you decided to share with us
Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hello Kristina and welcome to sr.im charmian and i too am an alcoholic.i too could never just have one drink,and once i started i couldnt stop.i had years and years of chaos and it got worse over the years as my alcoholism progressed.i went to AA at the begining of the year and a first just did lots of meetings and rang the folk from the rooms.after a little while i realised this was not enough to keep me away from the bottle.i got a sponsor and started work on the 12 step recovery programme.in the last 7 months my life has changed beyond recognition as have i.i drank over every "normal" human emotion and didnt know how to live a sane life.i do now,i have a programme for living.it is a wonderful programme kristina and if you are like me i cannot recommend it enough.i am happy,and i am free.please pm me if i can be of any help to you.best wishes.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Kristina

Steve
Old 09-03-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Kristina. I am Fred and I am also an alcoholic. It's hard to figure out just why we lean towards addiction. In most cases it doesn't matter "why". The thing that matters is to not take the first drink. Just like pills it's tough at first, but as each day goes by it gets easier and easier. Keep posting. there are a lot of people here that are better at words than me that can help you.
Fred
Old 09-03-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Kristina

Wishing you all the best.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Hi Kristina, It is a huge deal to be able to call yourself a alcoholic. The pressure is off now and you know which direction to go I'm sure. I had to have help from a power greater than my self so I entered into the program of AA and it has worked for me as far as the drink goes. I view it as spirituality for dumies--
very simple and starts with the basics. However for a complicated person like myself I had to get a sponsor to help me simplify and do the required work. I wish you all the best in what ever your plan for stopping is.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Shaun,
Thank you for responding. My plan is to stop TODAY. I don't really think that I need medical attention for withdrawals, I was more of a binge drinker. It has really only happened a couple of times but I also realize my dependency on other substances, and I don't want the alcohol to get out of control. I hid my pill addiction from everyone, I know they aren't stupid, they knew, but just recently told a very good friend of mine the whole pill saga. I felt very vulnerable, they were amazed, at how bad it actually was...but after a year or so, I feel extremely better. As far as my plan, I think coming here and talking about it, is very helpful! I really just need some accountability.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi all,
It appears as though my post was very delayed. I thank each of you for the kind words. I will log back on tomorrow, and share more of my story! I know that I will overcome this, and this too shall pass!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Sadie...
What is your plan of action? "...our drinking (using, etc) was but a symptom..." Not drinking will help you achieve physical sobriety, but the real problem with the alcoholic is in the mind (which tells us at some point we can drink), rather than the body (which, once drinking starts, we can't stop).

A program of recovery like AA can help with the mind, body and spirit...

Welcome to SR!

NMB