Notices

59 Days (7 Weeks)

Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

59 Days (7 Weeks)

Hi All,

Havent been in touch for a few days just in case everbody was sick of me.

Anyways 7 Weeks today, seen doctor yesterday after crap about last appt (when Nurse wasnt sure why i was there and eneded up with 2 nd kidney blood test)

He must of thought i was mad, went in with my note pad and said " gave up drinking 15th July i came to doctors for 1st time a week later, told doc at that time of my daily drinking, withdrawls and anxiety. He recommended Blood Tests.

2nd time seen diff doc as 1st doc was on hols, Told this doctor of Headaches/Pulse, Twiching anxiety etc. He explained only that liver was high.
did recommended anything for anxiety as it was addicitive. come back in month for more blood tests.

3rd Time,same doc as last time, this time just turned up as i was feeling down still not eating properly (20 days by now) anxiety,headaches/pulse aches and pains and twitching still told withdrawals and your body is going through big changes, still didnt give me anything for anxiety/stress

4th time (33 days sober) after coming back from a few days away, Twitching, headaches aches & pains and anxiety still there, this time seen a different doctor and finally gave me something for anxiety, he still said same thing that the withdrawals (even after 33 days) and mind and body will take time to get better.

5th Blood tests turned up nurse didnt know why i was there and also for what test, explained my problems (liver had been high) and she said found some note saying it was a kidney test (worried me as kidney was never mentioned in last result). Seen first ever doc while i was there again to get some more tablets for anxiety told him i was still having headaches and twitching, but was more concerned about addiction to tablets, walked out really PI.... O..

6th Time (48 days sober) once again eplained my main concern being anxiety, twitching and Headaches/Pulse. He explained that my body has been put through a lot and to give it time, i did mention my concerns etc but his best advise was to try not to worry and slowly reduce amount of tablets i was taking. i explained about the blood test mix up and that i had never been told the results in full, so the doctor finally took the time and explained the following.

Full Blood Count Test was fine,

Urine Test was fine

Kidney Test was fine (applogised for mix up and having 2nd test and couldnt explain what had happened)

Liver Test is tested for 6 seperate things (not sure what) however 5 of mine were ok and 1 came back with a reading of 100(obviously alcohol) which is double what the expected average 50 should be, he said not to worry as he had seen cases of people with over 800 (and been ok) in results. He said we would do another test in a month or so and with a bit of luck would start returning to normal and would like to see me again in a month.

After my last 7 weeks i have decided and now set up private medical care as i am not overly happy with my treatment and fully understand that i have to accept certain parts of my condition and illness, however the time and support shown hasnt been the best in my opinion. i know 7 weeks after 10 years or more of daily drinking wont go away instantly but unless you have been through something like my 7 weeks it hard to compare to anything.

I still have my concerns, odd twitching, headaches/pulse and aches and pains, i also pray every night that tomorrow will be that little bit easier.

Sorry to go and i wish everybody the best of luck.

Look forward to replies.

Robbo
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Robbo, congrats on 7 weeks!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 weeks!

I am at 75 days (pretty close to you). I have had body aches for a long time. They're off and on. Nothing major, just annoying. I also quit smoking 57 days ago as well. I think our bodies are just fixing the damage we have done.

It sounds like private medical care would probably address your concerns better. I think they'd do more to figure out where the twitching, headaches, etc. are coming from.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

if you dont mind me asking were you a heavy daily drinker or a binge drinker, doctor seems to thing this can be a reason for bodies different recovery speeds.

robbo
Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

Congrats on the 59 days robbo!!! I went thru a lot of the same things you're describing now...the only thing I can say, is time heals and after so much abuse to our bodies, it takes time for us to feel a little more normal. Keep on talking about it...it really does help!!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Congrats on the sober time
Old 09-02-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
I wonder if the headaches might be because you need glasses?
I have no idea...just thinking aloud.

Way to go on your sober time....
Old 09-02-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Congrats.. Keep it up. I'm on day 35 and should go get a physical. Any suggestions for tests that should be done? 20 years a drinker (last 5 heavy). Age 35. Physically feel pretty good right now. Appropriate weight for my body. Some anxiety, smoking and caffeine intake has increased since cessation of booze. In general taking decent care of the whole mind/body unit. Thanks in advance and Congrats once again.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hmm...
I wonder if the headaches might be because you need glasses?
I have no idea...just thinking aloud.

Way to go on your sober time....
Hi Carol,

As previously posted after complaining of headaches/ pulse to the doctor (number of times) he recomended going for Eye Examination at Opticians because they can obviously see behind your eyes and see other problems etc, and my eyes had detereated (already use glasses) although he said " other than that healthy eyes etc "

Thanks for your thoughts.

Robbo
Old 09-03-2009, 01:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Congrats.. Keep it up. I'm on day 35 and should go get a physical. Any suggestions for tests that should be done? 20 years a drinker (last 5 heavy). Age 35. Physically feel pretty good right now. Appropriate weight for my body. Some anxiety, smoking and caffeine intake has increased since cessation of booze. In general taking decent care of the whole mind/body unit. Thanks in advance and Congrats once again.
This is not medical advice in anyway, but i suppose your body tells you if you need to see a doctor for any sort of assesment, and only you know the amount of drinking/smoking or harm etc you may think you may have done, so i would personally go for a look over.

Robbo
Old 09-03-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are doing the right thing going to the doctor. But I wouldn't worry too much about your twitching or anxiety. I had the exact same symptoms you have for about 2 months after stopping drinking. But I did not drink as long or as much as you did. So give it more time. Your nervous system has still not recovered. This is probably why your doctors are not giving you any info--there is nothing they can find wrong with you.

I went to a neurologist in addition to my primary care physician. I had a CT scan on my brain and an EMG. Nothing was wrong with me. If your twitches are random, that is a good sign, as you may have bfs (benign fasculation syndrome). BFS is annoying but harmless (check out aboutbfs dot com for more info). I also had some strange mind pulses occasionally, and I had severe anxiety. It all went away (although I still get the occasional twitching when stressed). It was alcohol withdrawal.

I have researched twitching on every conceivable web site. Twitching by itself is not a symptom of any serious illness. If you want confirmation, go to a neurologist. They will do weakness and reflex testing on you, and order an EMG perhaps. That is how they tell if there is something really wrong with you. Twitching is normal considering the hyperactive state of your nervous system at this point. Be patient. Your worrying makes your anxiety symptoms worse.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Congrats on your 7 weeks, Robbo!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Robbo--thanks for the PM. This board won't let me respond to your PM until I have 5 posts. I posted on here previously under Ralph9898, but I lost my password, so I rejoined. Anyway, like I said, I had all of your symptoms when I quit drinking. I also had some numbness/tingling in my left pinkie. I also had near panic attacks, but I would breathe into a paper bag. I had strange pulses in my head. I had terrible tension headaches. I had twitches all over my body. Both hands shook/trembled. I went to a doctor and neurologist, and they told me nothing was wrong, and it was just prolonged alcohol withdrawal. My neurologist said I may have BFS, and that is what causes the twitching All of these symptoms went away (except I still get the twitching when stressed). For me it was about the 2 month mark. But you drank for longer than me and in greater quantities.

Based on my experience, your nervous system is still in major disarray from your drinking. It just takes a long time for the nervous system to heal itself. Just don't drink! That will delay the nervous system healing.

Go to the aboutbfs website forums. This is the "twitching" forum. You can compare some of your symptoms to see if this may be a cause. The people on there have similar symptoms to you, and they all think they have ALS or Parkinsons disease. But they don't. They are all self-described "worriers." This board will tell you to go to a neurologist and get an EMG to rule out serious diseases. But I think it will put your mind to ease to read about all of these people who have twitching and other strange nervous system symptoms and there is nothing wrong with them. Like me, you may need to just deal with the annoyance of twitching for a long time to come.

Also, don't you think if you had a serious neurological disease that you would have had symptoms prior to stopping drinking? The fact that your symptoms coincide with your cessation of drinking seems to indicate that is the cause. (e.g. withdrawal).

If your own doctors aren't worried about your symptoms, that should be comforting to you. Go to a neurologist if you want a second opinion. So try not to worry. If the symptoms get much worse or don't stop after 3 or 4 months, go to a neurologist and get an EMG.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Ralph,

Thats what i try and think back too.

Was i having headaches before i quit drinking (not that i can remember)
Was i having Pulse in head before i quit drinking.(not that i can remember)
Was i having strange pulse sensations all over before i quit drinking (not that i can remeber)
Was i having aches and pains in arms and legs before i quit drinking (not that i can remember)

If i was honest i dont think i was having any of the above (but after 6pm i would of had my first of many drinks so wouldnt of felt anything i suppose).

Robbo
Old 09-06-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

congrats on 7 weeks
Old 09-06-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello Robbo
Congrats on your sober time.
I didn't have aches in my legs until I quit drinking. They were BAD at first. I have been sober over 5 months, and still have slight aches. They are almost gone though.
As far as headaches I had them before I quit, but as soon as I had my first beer it would go away. I went to a chiropractor,(for a neck problem)but that is fixing my headache. They are gone after I leave but come back in a few days. I have spent a fortune, but at least I know the problem is my screwed up posture ,and not something else.