what now folks

Old 08-29-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jimbo

what now folks

i'm at three months near as dammit and i feel i really will never drink again

no problem there then

but here is my problem

the people on SR have been great to me ,inspired me ,helped me when i might of fallen back into some very bad habbits

i want to give you guys some support but i just keep saying the same old same old

i feel like i'm getting on folks nerves

you know ,how many times can a guy say ..i feel much more healthy you will too or the only person that really can stop you drinking is you etc

what happens next folks

i want to help others but keep reading the same stuff could make a person turn to drink

so you guys that have been here a while do you feel like you are boring the pants off people or do you just carry on posting away in case some newbie has not heard you say drink is evil etc over and over again

i mean most people stay interesting but i really dont have that great written word skill
Old 08-29-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read and enjoy your posts. I don't normally post in the alcoholism forum, but do read it. Your posts remind me of some of the things that i have been through. Although i haven't really spoken to you, you also come across as the kind of bloke that i would have had a drink with in my drinking days. Keep posting, people are reading and you benefit many. There are others here that read these threads and don't post, you're always of benefit to somebody.

And at the end of the day, if you're boring people with your posts don't worry about it, the only person that you have to worry about is you. So if posting here is one of the tools in your box to keep you sober, keep posting!!

Paul
Old 08-29-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

bald jim.you pass on a positive message,that can only be a good thing.i also admire you a little too,there is no way on this earth i could have stopped and stayed stopped without the fellowship of AA,good sponsorship and the 12 step recovery programme,,without that i would have drank again as has been proven to myself many many times.life is marvelous these days,i have a programme for living.im never bored or lonely.living life on lifes terms is marvelous in fact when i look back now i dont know when i had time to drink.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me boring? I'm a posting extrovert. Makes up for my introversion in the non-electronic world. Half the time my postings are for me because when I respond to others I have to put my own thoughts, feelings, attitudes, and experience in order. I sometimes respond to a post and think, I'd wish I said that and then remember I did so poat away. We're all poster children.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

or the only person that really can stop you drinking is you etc
I really don't think things like that can be said enough if you ask me. It took me a long time of reading things like that to finally just recently not just read advice like that, but to finally understand it. If something is the truth, then it doesn't matter how many times you say it, it never gets old. And eventually it will get through to even one person (like it finally did me) and that makes it worth saying a millions times if it's something that could help better someones life IMO.

Steve
Old 08-29-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jimbo - One of the AA Promises is that no matter how far down the scale we've gone, our experience can benefit others. If you carry that thought a bit further, you could say that no matter how many time we have said something to help another alcoholic, saying it again can benefit another person seeking help. Remember, new people come here to SR every day. They haven't read your postings. What's repititious to you will be new to them. So stop worrying. If I think what you say is boring (which I don't), then I don't have to read it.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 22. At the start I posted because I really needed help and advice. I feel I'm doing well now but I feel I have to post, even though it's a bit bloggish, because it helps me. By making a point to post every morning I remind myself that I am fighting a battle and that today I promise myself that I won't drink. Posting gives me strength.

I then later in the day read any responses to my posts. I am truely happy to receive them and they also provide me with support and encouragement. I feel as if I am not alone in my battle.

Basically I primarily post for myself but should my posts help and encourage other people then that is all the better.

Baldjim, if posting helps you please continue. If your posting helps others, and it probably does, please continue. Evey day I finds pearls of wisdom in a variety of peoples posts here.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jim - I figure every time we post we help someone...maybe right now..or maybe someone else will read it in the years to come.

Keep sharing your experience mate cos it's yours and it's unlike anyone else's - but it may just have that certain something that will help someone else

D
Old 08-29-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jim,

I'm glad you shared this thought. I rarely post anything beside: Glad you are here, you are not alone, you can do it! Occasionally, I branch out but I have a fear of responses sometimes so it makes it hard for me.

Point is we never know how many people are helped by our words, you know?

You are an example, and for that alone, you are a help. Keep on postin'!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

Even if you're saying the same helpful stuff over an over, it's important. There's always newcomers here that need to hear it for the first time.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

Jim, keep posting buddy, and 3 months is awesome!! As others have said, you never know who will read what you've written and relate to it. If you help just one person, then it's worth it.

I believe that the repetiveness of what you say and the encouragement you give others, just might be what you need to hear yourself. It keeps you focused. At almost six years clean, I like to go into the newcomers threads and read and sometimes give encouragement. Just reading the struggles that they are going thru reminds me of where I used to be, and where I don't want to be again. I think they can give me as much as I can give them.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

We all have something to share ...sometimes a friendly
and a Hello to a new member will encourge them.

So often...drinking makes one isolate ...shame and guilt
make one feel so alone.

Sometimes a simple...

"I've been there too...and I'm better"

beats the heck out of long involved replies.

Good to know of your progress ...
Old 08-29-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
where the light is

When I first quit drinking and joined AA & SR (all happened on the same day ), I really appreciated the support from everyone (still do of course).

People providing written "experience, strength, and hope" from all over the world.

And truthfully, on day one I was paying close attention to those with 30/60/90 days of sobriety. It seemed "do-able".

So that's your mission! If you are feeling strong, give some of that strength to those who are struggling. If you are having a tough go of it, let us know - the support is always there.

I'm sure that there is a person out there who would really appreciate a positive message from some guy in England!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by baldjim View Post
i'm at three months near as dammit and i feel i really will never drink again

no problem there then

but here is my problem

the people on SR have been great to me ,inspired me ,helped me when i might of fallen back into some very bad habbits

i want to give you guys some support but i just keep saying the same old same old

you know ,how many times can a guy say ..i feel much more healthy you will too or the only person that really can stop you drinking is you etc

what happens next folks

i want to help others but keep reading the same stuff could make a person turn to drink

so you guys that have been here a while do you feel like you are boring the pants off people or do you just carry on posting away in case some newbie has not heard you say drink is evil etc over and over again

i mean most people stay interesting but i really dont have that great written word skill
I've been an SR member for a while but am nowhere near as prolific a contributor as most people here. For me, I come here on nights when I feel I need a lift from people who have been there, or if I feel a need to just talk about my alcoholism. I certainly don't feel as if I have to come here all the time.

This is a fantastic community, and the posts here can be uplifting, or very sad, or both. I certainly don't come here everyday. But I do recognize that part of my recovery means sharing on a regular enough basis, so I always come back.

There are other online communities I visit much more often, having nothing to do with recovery. In fact, I probably try and keep my mind OFF of recovery and alcoholism as much as I can. But I have comfort knowing that SR will always be around.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

This sounds like something the disease is telling you
in an effort to disqualify you from continuing to stay.
No one here is telling you these things about yourself
and neither is the God of your understanding saying it.

Are you going to meetings?
Are you being sponsored?
Are you praying for help?
Are you recovering daily?
These are the important questions
to chart your progress in sobriety!

Your temporary feelings and thoughts are what they are.
The spiritual path of life in recovery must be lived to be real.
It is a process not an event, please take it easy and stay sober!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by baldjim View Post
Hey Jim,
You're definately not on my nerves. Thx for all your posts. It makes the community alive and active.
I know what you mean, i get the same feeling sometimes. But i think part of that feeling is that the written word/chat rooms/etc are a very limited form of communication. You may have heard "70% of communication is non-verbal." when people interact with others, they are reading body language, listening for tone, and many other things. All that is removed in this method of communicating. So, that may be part of it.

I've read that one of the dangers of alcoholic people like us is to isolate ourselves. We've got to watch out for the negative parts of sobriety, so that the positive parts continue to grow.
I sure hope you keep posting, doesn't matter what you say. Your opinion matters.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

We try to carry the message to other alcoholics - the key word here is "TRY".

Detached diligence is making the effort but leaving the results up to a higher-power. I never hesitate to offer a helping hand but I never beat myself up for failing.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I enjoy your posts Jim! Keep posting!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
jimbo

thank you very much for your replies

i guess the thing is ,there are only so many ways you can say drink is bad ,i have stopped now i feel better

but

if you are trying to stop drinking i guess that is exactly what you need to hear

it never crossed my mind when i first joined SR that the very posts i needed to read eg feeling down in the first month ,being lonely etc

might of been posted 10 000 times but it was right there at exactly the time i needed to read it

so i will keep posting my news just in case a newbie joins and he needs to hear exactly what i have to say

you never know do you
Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Good to hear from you again.