Notices

Why relapse after years of sobriety

Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Welcome amigo, day 1 for me was over eight years ago and the old advice of taking sobriety one day at a time is still valuable. Just don't drink today and focus on today.

I would also say it is hard to quit on your own so I hope you have a sobriety support plan.

Do some research and keep posting; this is a great site and there is a newcomers section.

Dave
Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dave. I can't believe that my relapse has lasted almost as long as my sobriety. I hope I can turn this ship around. I am going to start a thread here, and I plan to post something on it everyday. My work will pay for me to see a counselor, at least for a while. So I am going to look into that too. Do some people use this SR community as their main support group?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

welp, my experience is only through AA and seeing it there. there have been different reasons i have heard for drinking again after years of sobriety. two things that seem to have been pretty common for those that made it back are
1) i used it as a reason but it was really an excuse because
2) i started playing God.

i have also heard that people had forgotten the misery that drinking brought them.

for me, i was about 3 years or so in and was in full blown relapse mode( IMO, relapse starts with my thinkin and ends with a drink). i had a few poeple tell me i was in relapse mode but would this egomaniac admit it???noooooo!
i went like that for about 3 months. went to meetings about 5 times/week. then one day, when i was having a pretty good bout of anger, i said to myself,"f it! im gonna go get a 12 pack!" in my mind i was beyond a drink.
i thuroughly believe it was devine intervention that had me take a shower before i was off to the store and thats when i saw what was happening. it wasnt only the thought of getting drunk i was seein, it was the 3 months worth of thinkkn that led me to that thought. i was goin to meetings and helping others when i could, but that was it. i was complacent with what i had. i wasnt doing anything to grow more mentally, emotionally, or spiritually.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

To me, this site acts as a supplement. As you know, recovery takes hard work and there are no shortcuts. Sounds like you have access to an EAP through your employer. I was fortunate that my health insurance picked up most of my outpatient therapy. Might be something to check on ...

Dave
Old 07-23-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic and I'm inclined to get drunk.

I have a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of my spiritual condition.

Let maintenance lapse..... drunkenness will follow.

All the best.

Bob R