Notices

Finally admitting I'm an Alcoholic

Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and have been a binge drinker for a number of years now. My last bout has got me at rock bottom and I think I'm finally coming to terms with Alcoholism!

It's taken a number of years now and not only is drink destroying my mental and physical strength, it's all destroying my marriage and family life.

I'm 39 now and over the last number of years have been binge closer and closer together. I had my last drink on Sunday and don't intend to go back on it again. I spoke to AA yesterday and a chap was kind enough to visit today and talk things through with me, he's also taking me to a meeting tonight. I've tried 1 - 1 counselling before, and visits to the Doctor, however none of this has helped me. I'm hoping that AA is what I need to help me with a sober life.

Any advice on how to help mend my marriage and family life would be appreciated? I know staying sober for my sake and theirs are the big one.

I've been going through withdrawal symtems the past couple of days, for example, sweats, stomoch / leg cramps, sore heads and not been able to eat.

Thanks

William

Last edited by william1872; 08-25-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Thread Title Issue
Old 08-25-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi William. Welcome to SR...a community of people who serve to support each other for a multitude of reasons. You will find a lot of support here as well as advice. Keep coming back and make it a part of your recovery. Read a lot and keep posting when you feel the need.

The advice I would like to give is for you to have your wife involved in your recovery. She needs to be a part of what you're going through and you need her support and understanding.

Also, a very important thing for you to remember about recovery is that it takes piercing honesty in all things related to recovery and addiction. You have to stay away from the "shadows" that keep you in the realm of addiction. You will find a way as long as you never give up trying.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Hi William. Welcome to SR...a community of people who serve to support each other for a multitude of reasons. You will find a lot of support here as well as advice. Keep coming back and make it a part of your recovery. Read a lot and keep posting when you feel the need.

The advice I would like to give is for you to have your wife involved in your recovery. She needs to be a part of what you're going through and you need her support and understanding.

Also, a very important thing for you to remember about recovery is that it takes piercing honesty in all things related to recovery and addiction. You have to stay away from the "shadows" that keep you in the realm of addiction. You will find a way as long as you never give up trying.
Thanks for your advice Ken, certainly don't think i could do it without her support. I've also a friend who is helping me over the telephone and providing emotional support
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by william1872 View Post

Any advice on how to help mend my marriage and family life would be appreciated? I know staying sober for my sake and theirs are the big one.

I've been going through withdrawal symtems the past couple of days, for example, sweats, stomoch / leg cramps, sore heads and not been able to eat.
Its going to take some time and work to mend your marriage but now is the best time to start.

As far as withdrawal goes. Check out the following:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

Any advice on how to help mend my marriage and family life would be appreciated
My advice is to get working in the steps and the program of AA, since AA is what you are interested in. Get working in the first three steps. For me, a strong third step was the turning point...

Also, get a copy of the Big Book. Read it over and over... If you are interested in your family, read the chapters... To The Wives and The Family Afterward... Get your wife to read them too.

You can only work on your recovery... That's what you can do.... If you grow into your recovery, the relationship issues will work themselves out...

Easy Does It

Go to more than one AA meeting, find a group you like and go back and let everyone get to know you and you them...

Keep posting.

Mark
Old 08-25-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hello william and welcome to sr.i too tried councilors,doctors etc.none of it worked.i wne to AA at the begining of the year.i went to lots and lots of meetings at first and got myself a sponsor as soon as i could.i have gone through the steps with my sponsor and my life has changed beyond recognition william.for a rock bottom alki like me this change is a miracle.all my relationships are better william and not just as a result of putting the plug in the jug but from the programme for living,the 12 steps.i would suggest your wife go to al anon.there she will find out about the illness and how it has affected her and how to deal with things,you could get well together.often folk do not realise just how sick anothers alcoholism can make a partner/spouse.she sounds very supportive so this may be a great option for her.i am glad you have decided to go to AA william.please go with an open mind and willingness and you will be ok.please keep us posted.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your advice, I'll look at ordering the big book, although at the moment I've banned myself from my wallet in case the temptation steps back in.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The big book should only be around seven bucks at an AA meeting... don't leave without one... if you don't have the cash... write an IOU... sometimes our meeting will give a newcomer one...

Down the road, don't forget to pay it forward...

Welcome

Mark
Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
The big book should only be around seven bucks at an AA meeting... don't leave without one... if you don't have the cash... write an IOU... sometimes our meeting will give a newcomer one...

Down the road, don't forget to pay it forward...

Welcome

Mark
Thanks Mark, I'm based in Scotland but will see if they have one when I go tonight
Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are planning to enjoy a healthy sober future.
Blessings to you and your family

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
where the light is

Your story is nearly identical to mine. I have been sober for 20 months through AA (steps, meeting, sponsor). I have to be very patient & gentle with my wife. All those years of hurt do not go away simply because I quit drinking. I'm still dealing with this issue today. But on the positive side, my wife is learning to trust me again and she does love me.

In early recovery, I think action speaks louder than words. I keep my wife updated on my challenges & progress and I reasure her that the drinking was not because of her. She also cannot comprehend why I would go on multiple day binges, like I had some kind of choice after I started drinking. I am trying to explain to her what I was going through. Not making excuses...just explaining my reality back then. It was not her fault.

I don't know what the future holds for my family but I do have hope. And in the end, all I can do is keep trying.

Best wishes.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

william,i too am up in scotland.i will send you a big book if you would like?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post

Glad you are planning to enjoy a healthy sober future.
Blessings to you and your family

Welcome to our recovery community
Thanks Carol
Old 08-25-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
Your story is nearly identical to mine. I have been sober for 20 months through AA (steps, meeting, sponsor). I have to be very patient & gentle with my wife. All those years of hurt do not go away simply because I quit drinking. I'm still dealing with this issue today. But on the positive side, my wife is learning to trust me again and she does love me.

In early recovery, I think action speaks louder than words. I keep my wife updated on my challenges & progress and I reasure her that the drinking was not because of her. She also cannot comprehend why I would go on multiple day binges, like I had some kind of choice after I started drinking. I am trying to explain to her what I was going through. Not making excuses...just explaining my reality back then. It was not her fault.

I don't know what the future holds for my family but I do have hope. And in the end, all I can do is keep trying.

Best wishes.
Thanks I guess it's going to be a long journey and your right i need to gain her respect all over again, with the help of the AA I'm sure I can do that. I enjoyed tonights meeting and am going to another one tomorrow lunch time, I certainly felt a little bit more mentally stronger.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charmian View Post
william,i too am up in scotland.i will send you a big book if you would like?
Thanks chairman, that's a very kind offer. I tried to PM you but I don't have enough posts yet, you can email me through my profile though. I live in Inverness, not far from you , sometimes take my son to Ice Hockey practice on a Thursday night in Elgin
Old 08-25-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi William,
I'm a binge drinker too. Once that 1st one starts, it takes over, doesn't it?

Your plans sound good! Keep moving forward with those, and you'll be laying a strong foundation for the future. You couldn't be doing anything better.

One thing that helped me. I'm sure from your post that you feel a lot of guilt and regret of your past actions. For me, being truly sorry for the past is healthy. Make amends to those you choose. But once you do, don't allow yourself to wallow in shame for the past. It will keep you down, and slow your recovery. Life is hard, and you got relief from alcohol. Unfortunately, like me and others, the chemicals take over. It's a mistake, and it causes you pain. But forgive yourself, right now. You did it, you wish you didn't, you're sorry, and that's all you can do. Now, don't let regret take over your mind and feelings. If you forgive yourself, you'll see others forgive you too. Sobriety has challenges, and one of those is to find pleasure in it. Sobriety doesn't magically make you happy (i sure wish it did ). So, focus on just this new challenge in your life.
Binge drinking has it's own patterns. High highs, and low lows. Sobriety may be like that too. or, it may be more lows than highs. But expect it. And most of all, don't try to change your mood with the bottle. It doesn't work! You know that. Take a nap, go for a walk, take a shower (a personal fav),
read and post here (another fav).
Best of luck! We're on your team.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi William!
Welcome to SR, and let me say thank you for your honesty and openness in your post.

Stay close to AA -- go to meetings, get a sponsor, work the steps. Simple, but not always easy.

The mending of your family will come in time, my friend.

Most importantly -- take it one day at a time.

Let me know how I can help.

NoMoBeer
Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Welcome... I'm about your age (37) going on day 27. It will get better. Arm yourself with as much information as you can gather from this site. And try to get some real live sober support that you are comfortable with... AA (As you mentioned is great), sober friend etc. I can very much relate to where you are right now. The only thing I can think of is that getting the right Sponsor seems to be key. I can not speak from a place of wisdom but, conventional AA knowledge is to get someone with some good sobriety under their belt (I've been told at least 5 years) Any questions throw up a new thread. People are great here.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

william,this is great news! i was wondering if you were close.my other half brian is also in the fellowship! please let me knoe next time you are going to be in elgin and we could meet up for coffee! i have to dash to work now but i will pm you later,and i will get that big book to you!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AcceptingChange View Post
Hi William,
I'm a binge drinker too. Once that 1st one starts, it takes over, doesn't it?

It sure does and I can relate to what your saying

Your plans sound good! Keep moving forward with those, and you'll be laying a strong foundation for the future. You couldn't be doing anything better.

I'm glad I've taken the first step now, although I had been feeling low again today

One thing that helped me. I'm sure from your post that you feel a lot of guilt and regret of your past actions. For me, being truly sorry for the past is healthy. Make amends to those you choose. But once you do, don't allow yourself to wallow in shame for the past. It will keep you down, and slow your recovery. Life is hard, and you got relief from alcohol. Unfortunately, like me and others, the chemicals take over. It's a mistake, and it causes you pain. But forgive yourself, right now. You did it, you wish you didn't, you're sorry, and that's all you can do. Now, don't let regret take over your mind and feelings. If you forgive yourself, you'll see others forgive you too. Sobriety has challenges, and one of those is to find pleasure in it. Sobriety doesn't magically make you happy (i sure wish it did ). So, focus on just this new challenge in your life.
Binge drinking has it's own patterns. High highs, and low lows. Sobriety may be like that too. or, it may be more lows than highs. But expect it. And most of all, don't try to change your mood with the bottle. It doesn't work! You know that. Take a nap, go for a walk, take a shower (a personal fav),
read and post here (another fav).
Best of luck! We're on your team.
I'm trying to remain more positive now, although the urge to drink isn't there today, thank god, I guess in time my wife will learn to trust me again and it's up to me to prove that. Our son's been a great support and it's good someone in the family is speaking and helping out.

I never considered binge drinking to be a problem before, well I guess up to the last 6 months I suppose I knew deep down I had a problem but didn't want to admit it to myself.

I certainly hope I never again try and change my mood with a bottle, your right it doesn't help, might make you feel good at first but once the low moves in there's nothing worse.