Notices

Types of Alcoholic...Which one are You?

Old 08-24-2009, 11:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I grew up a community drinker and possibly still would be if I still lived where I grew up. I am now a boredom drinker.

Mr Osaka, I assume you have some connection to Japan. I live in rural Japan and have done for many years. It is a little boring though.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've been all of those at one point&Time. I drink when I'm happy, when I'm sad, when I'm lonely, when I'm with people, when I'm bored, when I have way too much to do....

The only label that matters to me now is the one I'm trying to work towards, and that's "Ex-drinker".

Steve
Old 08-25-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't drink anymore so none of these labels fit me. The only truth I needed was that alcohol is poison to me...once I got that thru my thick skull I became a non-drinker...that's a label I am comfortable with.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Those aren't types of alcoholics. Those are types of drinkers.

While heavy drinking is certainly a symptom of alcoholism, heavy drinking in and of itself is not alcoholism.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Im just a heavy drinker.

I certainly wouldn't use alcohol for stress. Thats what my golf is for
Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
Those aren't types of alcoholics. Those are types of drinkers.

While heavy drinking is certainly a symptom of alcoholism, heavy drinking in and of itself is not alcoholism.
I agree. While there are many alcohol-issues, not all of them are alcohol-ism.

It is not so much about how much or how often one drinks that determines alcohol-ism. It is more about progression and lack of control.

Hard-drinkers stop when they get a good enough reason. Real alcoholics can't stop no matter what (without help from a higher power).
Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
9/15/08

The article is very class-conscious...something to be expected from English research.

Also seems to put too much weight on 'going to the pub' and the social situations the drinking takes place in. Someone mentioned that it seems to focus on 'problem drinkers', not alcoholics. I would agree.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I cringe when I see phrases like "personality types".

I was a chameleon. I morphed into whatever would get me what I wanted at the given time while I was actively drinking-barfly, charming girl next door, b*tch on wheels.

I had a hell of a time discovering just who I really was when I got sober!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I identified with "boredom drinker/depressed drinkers" funny thing since I quit drinking I'm not bored nor depressed anymore.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I identified with "boredom drinker/depressed drinkers" funny thing since I quit drinking I'm not bored nor depressed anymore.
Thanks a lot for this comment. I've been spending a lot of time at home and I was waiting for the boredom to strike.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrOsaka View Post
The Department of Health has identified nine personality types of heavy drinkers who are at risk of liver damage and other alcohol-related illnesses. They are:

· "De-stress drinkers" use alcohol to regain control of life and calm down. This group includes middle-class women and men. The researchers said: "They typically have a pressurised job or stressful home life, which leads them to feel burdened with responsibility. Partners often supported or reinforced their behaviour by preparing drinks to help relieve stress";

· "Conformist drinkers" are driven by the need to belong and they seek a structure to their lives. They are typically men aged 45-59 in clerical or manual jobs. "They tend to have traditional values and attitudes, with regularly going to the pub being a core part of their weekly, habitual behaviour";

· "Boredom drinkers" consume alcohol to pass the time, seeking stimulation to relieve the monotony of life. Alcohol helps them to feel comforted and secure. "They are typically in the 35-50 age bracket and come from both genders, although the bias is towards women";

· "Depressed drinkers" may be of any age, gender or social/economic group. They crave comfort, safety and security. "Their lives are in a state of crisis and their drinking tends to increase steadily over the period of their depression. They tend to drink very heavily, often at home and alone, over extended periods";

· "Re-Bonding drinkers" are driven by a need to keep in touch with people who are close to them. They include men and women of all ages and social classes, who "drink most evenings as they catch up with different sets of people in their lives, including friends, family and partners";

· "Community drinkers" are motivated by the need to belong. They are usually lower middle class men and women, who drink in large social friendship groups, seeking stimulation and release from everyday life in the company of others. "If their friends are not in the pub in a particular evening, they would not stay on drinking";

· "Hedonistic drinkers" crave stimulation and want to abandon control. They are often divorced people with grown-up children, who want to stand out from the crowd. "They frequently drink to get drunk and could be doing this three or four times a week";

· "Macho drinkers" spend most of their spare time in pubs. They are mostly men of all ages who want to stand out from the crowd. But, unlike the hedonistic drinkers, they "want to control and be in control, albeit of others rather than themselves";

· "Border dependents" regard the pub as a home from home. They visit it during the day and and the evening, on weekdays and at weekends, drinking fast and often. "They have a combination of motives, including boredom, the need to conform and a general sense of malaise in their lives," the researchers said.

It helps to know what we are. NHS details nine personality types of heavy drinkers putting their health at risk | Society | guardian.co.uk
Good old British national health care.

I fond this info to be of absolutely no value.

Sometimes a newcomer might wonder if the Doctors opinion, written in the 30's , is outdated;that maybe medical science has come up new information which renders it moot. I think this answers that.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm....
I do find information interesting ....especially when the
source is given. By sharing ...we can find what
works for others....hopefully to enrich our lives.

For me....the difference between heavy drinking
and alcoholism was blurred.....
I was certainly a heavy drinker before I became an alcoholic.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Throughout my 15 year drinking career i have been all of those.

Paul
Old 08-26-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Chasing down the snake that bit you is a waste of time.

First seek treatment, then hunt down the snake.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Hey MrOsaka, hows things?

There is a big diffence between alcoholics and heavy drinkings so this is one for the heavy drinkers out there to answer...me i'm an alcoholic:-)

See you in Class soon:-)
I resemble that remark
Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Once again...Thanks for all of the feedback and opinions...I just wanted to add that I posted this information in hopes that it may be of help...even if to only one person. For me it was helpful in the fact that I was able to identify my motivation for using, which in return is helping me not to relapse. Not knowing and addressing the motivating factors or underlying causes of using is known as being a "dry drunk" if my memory serves me correctly. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. Hope everyone is having a nice sober day!!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomvlll View Post

Sometimes a newcomer might wonder if the Doctors opinion, written in the 30's , is outdated;that maybe medical science has come up new information which renders it moot. I think this answers that.
Yeah good old NHS hospitals...kind of like the Uk lottery, will you be the lucky one that goes in for a minor operation and gets the VIP treatment at their morgue when they **** it all up! Scary!

Just wanted to add to the thread by saying that i was an alcoholic from drink one, never a level of control...ever...went from zero to hero in a week after i had my first 3 cans of beer and chased the feeling they gave me for 20 years...
Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Mr. O said....Not knowing and addressing the motivating factors or underlying causes of using is known as being a "dry drunk"

According to who?

While I agree addressing one's issues in relationship to alcohol is paramount a dry drunk is simply a judgement.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomvlll View Post

Think you are missing the point of the article, it not meant to be a scientific piece abut alcoholism. Britain has a problem with increasing amounts of people suffering from liver disease through drinking too much whether alcoholic or not. The article is meant to be easily readable and appealing, many people find personality types interesting. The idea is to get people to think about their drinking habits.

The good thing about the NHS being non profit is it doesn't want more patients it wants less. Hence it invests in non profit preventative measures such as this. British people have a higher life expectancy than Americans despite the average American spending considerably more on health care. So maybe you shouldn't look too much down your nose at the NHS. America may offer the best health care in the world but only if you can afford it.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
9/15/08

@ Bugs

"Dry drunk is a colloquial expression which describes an alcoholic who no longer drinks but is still behaving alcoholically. The term is used by Alcoholics Anonymous in relation to feelings of anger, depression and resentment."

(from wiki)

Like most AA slogans and traditions, I would assume it evolved in that environment.