Notices

I Did it Again!!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KC1

I Did it Again!!!!

Whew! Today was a tiny bit hard. Played golf and started to think about having a nice cold one at the 19th hole. Did go into the bar with the others, but once again, ordered the St. Pauli Girl, N.A. followed by a Diet Coke. So I did it again - I made it another day and made it through a golf event without drinking. I don't think I can clean anything else in my house, so tonight I am going to do some paperwork that I need to catch up on and watch a movie with my husband. Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks so much for the support - it really really has helped me a lot. On to Day 8. This is the longest I have gone in over 3 years without a drink. Usually make it two days max. On to celebrate the 8!!!!
KC
Old 08-23-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 08-23-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

On to day 8 for me too! Kudos!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Congratulations!

Boy, when I got sober, my house got clean and painted!

Movies were a fun way for me to stay sober. I was in the habit of watching sitcoms, or one hour dramas on TV when I was drinking. That allowed for frequent commercial breaks, which allowed for refills and/or shots of alcohol. Ugh!

I found that by sitting down with a non-alcoholic drink and a snack, I could watch an entire movie without refills!

Sobriety rocks!

Good on you KC and Gofish!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Keep it up KC.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KC1

Gofish - glad to see I have a fellow Cowboys fan. My husband roots for the Eagles so it is always a fun time around our house when the Cowboys and the Eagles get together! Congrats on your Day 8!!!!!

Tommyk - thanks again so much for your suggestion to focus on the WHYS and not the LIES. Changing my way of thinking is the ONLY thing getting me through this. When I thought for a minute about a nice cold one at the 19th hole, I thought about how I would have to come back to these boards and say that I had to start all over again at ground zero and I just did not want to do that. Couldn't let everybody (as well as myself) down. So that helped as well.

I am heading out of town on Wednesday through Saturday, part business and part pleasure. Will be with lots of drinking pals for the pleasure part. I have already e-mailed my girlfriend that I will join the usual festivities but that I am NOT drinking alcohol. I will have Virgin Mary's (this one restaurant makes a KILLER Bloody Mary) and I will drink St. Paulie Girl N.A. She wrote back that she doesn't care if I drink or not and she hoped that I do not feel as though she will try to "make me". I wrote back that no one can make me, I am the one who puts the drink to my lips and me alone. Since I have been taking anti-depressants for 6 months, I might as well give the darned things a chance to work. So that hurdle is over...no explaining to do when I show up for Happy Hour and stick with my non-alcoholic drinks. I KNOW I can do it.

One thing very noticeable tonight - I got VERY VERY IRRITABLE when we sat down to our dinner. Usually we have a nice red wine with our pasta. There is no wine in the house, of course, and as I was sipping my Pellegrino/Lime, I suddenly got very irritable. I know why of course. Hubby was great - he drank iced tea. But then he got bread crumbs on the glass kitchen table and I went ballistic. I felt bad - who can eat crunchy Italian bread and not get crumbs on the table? Then he splashed spaghetti sauce on the stove and I went nuts again. (Must have been the crazy cleaning I did in the kitchen on Day One!).

Oh well....the "bitchiness" didn't last too long and now we are enjoying a movie, well, he is enjoying it, I am here "with" all of you. Till tomorrow,

KC
Old 08-24-2009, 12:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Whew! Today was a tiny bit hard. Played golf and started to think about having a nice cold one at the 19th hole. Did go into the bar with the others, but once again, ordered the St. Pauli Girl, N.A. followed by a Diet Coke. So I did it again - I made it another day and made it through a golf event without drinking. I don't think I can clean anything else in my house, so tonight I am going to do some paperwork that I need to catch up on and watch a movie with my husband. Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks so much for the support - it really really has helped me a lot. On to Day 8. This is the longest I have gone in over 3 years without a drink. Usually make it two days max. On to celebrate the 8!!!!
KC
Cnngrats on the sober time
That said. I really think you should stay away from St pauli's. Although it claims (no alcohol). It has less than 1/2 of 1 percent. Beer has less than 5 percent(most beer). So 10 of these might = 1 beer. Not good
When I was taking antabuse if I drank more than 2 of these I started feeling the effects. So if your an alcoholic you really are playing with explosives. You are teasing an alcoholic mind with this stuff. I'm not trying to belittle your 8 days. Thats a major accomplishment. But there is alcohol in near beer.
Fred
Old 08-24-2009, 02:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have to say that I agree with the above. That so called NA beer is playing with fire! I was 8 weeks sober until I started playing with that stuff. Within a two weeks I was back on the sauce!

Day 15 and going on.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
KC1

Hi - I did notice the 0.5% alcohol on the bottle. Thing is I don't really like beer and have never finished more than half of the bottle of St. Pauli, N.A. before moving on to the Diet Coke, so I am not sure why I even ordered it -- well, I take that back. Now that I just wrote that, yes I do know why. It's to keep people off of my back about not drinking. People think I am drinking a real beer. I guess I am caring too much about what people think or I would rather not have to answer to the "why aren't you drinking". Though I bet if I actually tried it, no one would say anything anyway. The bartenders haven't said a word. Ok, enough of that rambling stream of conciousness. I will start another thread with what I managed to accomplish this evening. Talk about tough!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Congrats.