Notices

Happy Golfer :-)

Old 08-15-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KC1

Happy Golfer :-)

OK - so I decided to stop using the "Happy Drunk" thread because today I am a very happy golfer. Have not had a drink since Thursday night and today played in the first round of a two-day golf tournament at my Club. Got a great night's sleep (thanks again to NO alcohol) and I am in third place going into tomorrow's round. It is amazing (well, not really) how much better I played waking up stone cold sober than with a hangover. Everyone went into the bar afterwards for their usual round of cocktails and I had an iced tea and left. Thought it best to get out of there before the temptation started back. I did crave it a little bit, but I instead went to the mall and shopped till it passed. So here I am again, drinking my Pellegrino and Lime, happy as a pig in shi* because I played so well. :bounce Hopefully I will have the same good news to report tomorrow - maybe even that I won! Thanks again for all of the support. It is great.
KC
Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

good luck in your tournament KC
D
Old 08-15-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done KC.....
Keep making those healthy choices ...you are worth the effort.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KC1

It's great to wake up feeling so great. No hangover, no fuzziness. Let's see how it goes today.
KC
Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I utilized golf in my own recovery.

Good luck, keep coming back.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KC1

Not so good. Tied for 4th --- bad round of golf today. One 10 stroke and two 9 strokes. Would have WON the entire tournament if not for those three bad holes. So, went to 19th hole. Had a glass of white wine. One glass. Came straight home. Good, but bad, too. Sad, but glad. Could have been worse. Could have ten glasses. Wake up call as to why the drink....losing at golf not so bad....only lost by ONE point...so why the drink? Go figure. Happy that it is only ONE glass. Sad that it is ONE glass. Gotta give it up, gotta give it up. Thanks................I will keep trying. Glad it is only one instead of 12..........that is a good thing, right?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....
I did quit going to places where alcohol was served to
protect my early sobriety. Bars/clubs/lounges are for
people who drink alcohol. That is their purpose....

I certainly hope you will decide to finally quit
I too had false starts on by way to recovery.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Until I finally accepted the fact that just ONE drink was poison to me, I continued on a relentless cycle of relapses....

From my experience with my alcoholism, there IS no such thing as 'just one'....

Cos even if I have 'one' and then go to bed, the next morning, I'm searching for the vodka...

Just the way I'm wired.

You very well could be different, but if you're anything lke me, and you desperately want to beat this thing... you have to finally accept that alcohol cannot touch your lips. Period... and it works for me...

Just one day at a time.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm with Debs. Once I worked out that consuming any alcohol just keeps me in the cycle, then I started to make progress.

I don't think you're different to Debs or I, KC - do you?

D
Old 08-16-2009, 11:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is a rough day hope the 10 and two nines were atleast on par 5's.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Thanks to the UK's fantastic summer *sarcasm* ive not been able to get a round of golf in for weeks
Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
KC1

I agree - NO alcohol can touch my lips. I will try again. I felt so good those couple of days!! Starting over today. Day One it is. I want to do it...I really do.
KC
Old 08-17-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

what did you shoot?
Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All us SR golfers should get together and hit the ball sometime. My daughter has started her highschool matches now. She is a junior this year we are hoping she gets a scholorship. I started back playing after a two year lay off now that Im sober agin I enjoy playing.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
KC1

For the golfers out there, I shot a 109 and a 111. The second day was the bad day with the one 10 stroke and two 9-strokes. Ugh. Both of which were on Par 5's by the way). I could have clinched the Club Championship, but it was just so hot out there! Anyhow, I made it through yesterday without a drink and am almost through today. I am having a bit of a craving - normally this is the time I crack open the wine -- so I thought I'd sit down here and write a little bit. Last night I met my husband at a restaurant up the street. I got there before him and ordered a club soda and cranberry. He came in and said in an accusatory tone "what are you drinking there." And I said "not what you think", which he thought was a vodka cranberry. So ha! Amazing how cheap the dinner tab is when there is no wine or other cocktails. He is away tonight and tomorrow night and in the past I could easily crack open a bottle of wine and finish it off and then move on to the vodka. So I have already been through three bottles of Pellegrino and Lime. I think I will go clean my kitchen. That will take my mind off of the wine! Bye for now. I am sure you will see me back on here later on this evening. I will start a new thread and end the happy golfer, though I golf in a league tomorrow night, so I could very well start another happy golfer tomorrow night.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on staying strong... Don't take that drink. It just aint worth it.

(and believe me when I say I understand cravings... I'm having some intense ones right now which is why I'm on here... and I refuse to succumb to it.)

Tomorrow we'll both be so thankful that we didn't cave.