Notices

Hey all...

Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey all...

Hey just got some thoughts about drinking tonight. I tried to call my sponsor and another friend in the program who was my temp sponsor. Both asleep. Its such a pain not being able to reach anyone late when i'm alone and I get the thoughts running... I guess I'm suffering from euphoric recall. I have been feeling better these last few weeks, currently on day 77. I think it was easier back when I was lying in the fetal position crying out for a drink... at least then it was more obvious that I shouldn't take one. I haven't been sober this long since I was 16. (I'm 21) Now its all mind games. Been getting some exercise so thats been good, sometimes I remember drinking/using after a good exercise and wish I could go back. But by the end drinking had taken away my motivation to do anything... its done it once (well many times) and it will do it again. Anyway just posting on here has been enough i'm sure to keep me from taking a drink tonight. Thanks everyone for listening...
Old 08-10-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay strong... say a prayer...

For the love of God.. don't take a drink...

Try your hardest to remember how bad it feels to relapse...

Your success in 77 days of sobriety is an inspiration to me on my 3rd day
Old 08-10-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting Sun, 77 days is awesome I noticed that you said "But by the end drinking had taken away my motivation to do anything... its done it once (well many times) and it will do it again."

I have been watching myself & trying not to post about the possibility of drinking again, if I get close to it like that it just might happen. Be careful there ;-)

Sounds like your doing a great job!

Take Care,

NB
Old 08-10-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

77 days is a great accomplishment good for you!

If you can't reach your sponsor or temp sponsor then your doing the right thing by posting here. I know I was having some thoughts myself about 4-5 days ago and I couldn't reach my buddy that has 21 yrs sober...so I reached out to a member here on the site that I talk with every once in awhile "CAPTAINZING2000" and I have to say just having those few back&forth Pm's with him last week that one night really helped me over a rough spot where I was thinking about drinking again.

It wasn't so much what he said or anything like that, but just knowing that there's people here that have went through what we are going through and that they really do care that I (you/we) succeed really helps to keep ya on the right path.

So if you can't reach your sponsor then just post here and there's a ton of great people on this site that are very willing to help you over your tough patches.

Steve
Old 08-10-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

I'm late at seeing this, but you can jump into the chat room too for live people to talk to.

Congrats on 77 days..
Old 08-10-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Coming here and reaching out when you can't reach one of your f2f supports is a good option. What about prayer? Where are you in the Steps? In my early days of sobriety I used to simply pray to have the compulsion to drink removed. I said that prayer over and over, and it really helped me.

Well done on your sobriety thus far. Keep reaching out - it does get better.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hello and welcome to sr.lots of support here,like smacked just said,go to chat.i spent 24/7 in there when i first put the drink down and it was marvelous way to take my mind off drink.i also met some good friends there.you have a sponsor,where are you with the steps? are you on the steps? just intersted to know as you could get your head stuck into that,as soon as i started putting work in,the compulsion and obsession left me.please keep us posted.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for you quick replies. Debs congrats on the three days. The first couple can be pretty rough, from your recent thread it seems like things are going as well as can be expected. Newbegining010, yeah it will do it again. Thats why I wanted to post on here... just to remind myself more than anything. Daywalker, yeah it can be a bit tough not being able to get ahold of our AA cronies. But I have walked through this before. Ive never woken up in the morning and thought "damn I really should have taken a drink last night that would have been great" Like you say its not exactly what people say its just knowing that people are here to support you. Smacked thanks for your reply as well, I tried to go to the chat room, it told me to d/l something which I did. I installed it. But then when I went back to the page it still said something about needing a plug in. Any thoughts on what might have gone wrong?
Thank you all for your support, its just what I needed this evening.

PS. I'm on step four. It needs a re-write. I should be doing it with my sponsor this week. I went over it with my temp sponsor a few weeks ago. I can feel the resentments really having less power over me already... If things keep working out in the direction they are going I can't imagine how great things will be later on...
Old 08-10-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And I figured out the chat thing...
Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

fabulous!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I was craving for a drink I used to tell myself I could go out and buy some booze if I listened to an AA speaker tape first, and for some reason, by the end of the speaker tape I didn't need to drink. In the early days I'd listen to a speaker tape at least once per day.

If you google for XA Speakers you'll find the site, and I recommend you listen to Chris R (do a search on the site for him). Chris R not only carries a strong, motivating message of recovery, he's very funny too.

I still listen to speaker tapes, though I like the rougher ones; they seem more honest than some of the polished shares you can find. They're now just great stories I can empathise with, and as I say, many of them are funny too.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are doing Step work.....
That's when I felt the shift from
sobriety into solid recovery.

Good to see you here again
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

People may sleep or otherwise be unavailable,
but God never sleeps and never blinks. The ears
never turn away from those who are asking for help
and the hand is always extended to guide us through.

i hope that the reality of love becomes evident to you
& that you come to truly realize that you are never alone.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I often find myself posting here late at night when i want to drink and know i could easily go get a drink from the liqour store i havnt drank in 17 days now but i relapsed and used vicodin and marijuana now 2 days sober

your still very young (im 22 btw) i understand completly what your going threw. if you cant get ahold of anyone feel free to PM me i work a night shift job 11-7am and i check in here frequently during that time
Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Hey there,

In my area, there is an AA hotline that is manned 24 hours. I called it late one night and found the voice on the other end really helpful.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tip on chris the AA speaker good stuff... Thanks wolfchild. Glad I am right there with you man I have a thing for marijuana and dones. Good to hear you have a couple days man... Keep it up, I might have to pm you sometime late at night. My goal is to recover before I can grow a full beard haha Sunrise nice name btw... lol The AA hotline in my city goes to my temp sponsor who I couldn't reach anyway but thanks for the advice...